BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8703
Carrier: vzw
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question .dat file?

Please Login to Remove!

one of our users received a "etp.dat" file...but we aren't on a BES yet, only using providers BIS (in his case T-mobile)

is that normal to get a *.dat file if you are only using BIS?

thanks!
Offline  
Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,806
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

No. It means one of two things. 1) The customer probably tried to start an Enterprise Activation. That will generate the DAT files. 2) When installing Desktop Manager, they specific Desktop Redirector as their forwarding method.

Either way, you have to find and delete the correct Service Books. First step is to find out what they did...
Offline  
Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 682
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

and if they installed redirector you'll have to remove it or they'll get the messages again after the sync via the USB cable
Offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERDucky
and if they installed redirector you'll have to remove it or they'll get the messages again after the sync via the USB cable
I clicked on redirector last night and have received these emails, how do I remove it?
Offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
koleary19067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Model: STORM
OS: 4.7.0.151
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON
Posts: 2,089
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inevitable
I clicked on redirector last night and have received these emails, how do I remove it?
Reload DM and select the BIS option instead of the BES.
__________________
STORM (9530)
Offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 682
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

and delete the desktop service books
Offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,030
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekuhl
one of our users received a "etp.dat" file...but we aren't on a BES yet, only using providers BIS (in his case T-mobile)

is that normal to get a *.dat file if you are only using BIS?

thanks!
It isn't necessarily a BB problem.

Many times you might receive an email with an attachment called winmail.dat. The file is sent from people using Microsoft Outlook as their email program. The file allows Outlook users to send Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (TNEF) information along with the email so that it retains the look and feel of the document with formatting, fonts, and colors when its received by another Microsoft Outlook user.

Unfortunately, the file is only relevant and used by Microsoft Outlook. Users of Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape Messenger, and other email programs will receive the attachment called winmail.dat with the email.


The file is attached to the email because the original sender is sending emails in Microsoft Outlook Rich Text Format instead of Plain Text format.

How to Configure Outlook NOT to send Winmail.dat attachments

To Turn off Rich Text sending for messages in Microsoft Outlook

1) Click on Tools
2) Click Options, and then click the Mail Format tab.
3) In the Send in this Message Format list, select Plain Text, and then click OK.

This will set your default sending method to Plain Text, which will lose your special formatting options with fonts, colors, etc. However everyone, no matter what email program they are using, will now be able to receive your email with no problems.
Offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
cooperpwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,001
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
Many times you might receive an email with an attachment called winmail.dat. The file is sent from people using Microsoft Outlook as their email program. The file allows Outlook users to send Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (TNEF) information along with the email so that it retains the look and feel of the document with formatting, fonts, and colors when its received by another Microsoft Outlook user.
This is interesting. I have an email on Outlook at home that I had forwarded from work. It has two large Word attachments. If I try to forward it to my BB, either to my work or Yahoo address, it shows up without the Word attachments but with a winmail.dat file. I just tried reformating the email as plain text before sending; same problem: it showed up without the Word attachments but with the winmail.dat file.
Then I selected the two Word files, copied them and pasted them into a new Outlook email and sent that. It showed up with the attachments (and no winmail.dat file).
Any idea what's up with this?
EDIT: I should clarify that I don't have this problem forwarding any other emails that have attachments. It's just this one.

Last edited by cooperpwc : 06-19-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 682
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sounds like the original format of the message is causing the problem - even though your fw: is formated in plain text the orignal sounds like it was done in rich text.

I found this KB - dunno if it will help...

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...94996&vernum=0
Offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
cooperpwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,001
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERDucky
sounds like the original format of the message is causing the problem - even though your fw: is formated in plain text the orignal sounds like it was done in rich text.

I found this KB - dunno if it will help...

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...94996&vernum=0
Thanks! That's a great reference. It's nice to know that there is a legitimate reason why I am not getting the attachments on that email.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.