Originally Posted by ndirish2001
This is very strange. Some emails sent to my sprint.blackberry.net address are being delivered promptly, while others are taking hours.
I use a Gmail account for my personal email and I used to have it forwarded to my sprint.blackberry.net address. I've configured my Gmail account so that Blackberry will query it via POP and that seems to be working fine. Of course, the forwarding is not in real time, but it's a good-enough alternative, at least for now.
These are the exact same symptoms I was experiencing. Call Sprint and have them escalate to RIM. Final Update
I just got an email from Blackberry Support stating they resolved my problem. So far today, my vzw.blackberry.net address is delivering to the BB without delay. They did not give any explaination of what they found, so I'm a bit skeptical and will watch it over the next few days.