I recently upgraded from 4.0.1.something to 220.127.116.119 on my T-Mobile BIS Blackberry (Edit: model 7290). I couldn't find any real descriptions of what had changed prior to performing the upgrade, so I went ahead with it to find out. For the benefit of others considering it, here's my take on it: The good
- Phone volume improved somewhat (although not as much as I would have liked). This is a subjective assessment; didn't check with test equip.
- Web browser shows total amount to be downloaded on progress bar in kb
- Web browser can finally zoom in/out on images like the email attachment viewer can.
- Web browser can display larger images - things which used to say "too big too display" now work for me
- Per-caller ringtones/profiles finally available, like every other cell phone has had for 5 years
- I no longer get random tunnels errors half the time when using 3rd party TCP applications
- MMS support is now included (I haven't used this at all yet)
- The "compose" icon disappears from the main screen, so compose is no longer a one-key command (but you can get an add-on program to bring back something very simliar)
- Half the options are now in a submenu under "Advanced Options".
The just different
- Font sizes changed, and look worse now in my opinion. The new Millbank 7 is somwhere in between what used to be 6 and what used to be 7. 7 used to be just right for me, but the new 7 is too small and the new 8 is too big. If you restore Options from an old backup, you can get the old size back, but you can't pick it from the UI anymore.
The same ol'
- By default, you now get a messages icon PER ACCOUNT on the home screen. I found this useless and hid the icons, but maybe you'd want it.
- Under network, you can turn off data entirely if you want (I guess in case you're roaming and don't want to pay data charges for the random housekeeping traffic)
- During power off, it only displays "press any key to abort" for about half as long, and displays the provider logo for the other half of the time.
- Still no way to remove the useless default bookmarks
- No way to obtain any alternative non-default vibration patterns, so in vibrate mode, the per-caller profiles do you no good whatsoever
- Web browser still can't do anything with PDFs, even though the email attachment viewer can
Anything I missed?