BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How to set filters/profiles?

Please Login to Remove!

I just for my first BB. I would like to understand how I configure filters and profiles?

This is what I want:

During the day between 7:30am - 9:30pm, I want my BB to beep and vibrate only if emails have been sent to me while my email address was mentioned in the "TO:" field. I do not want my BB to beep or vibrate when receiving emails that were sent to my distribution group or cc'd or bcc'd to me.

Between 9:30pm - 7:00am, I do not want to hear any beeps nor vibrate on receiving any emails.

How can I get the above done? Please help.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

You can't set a profile to work only between designated hours. You'll have to set up the separate profiles how you want them ('Daytime' and 'Night', perhaps) and then you'll have to switch between them manually.

There might be a 3rd party app that can do what you want, but this functionality is not available out of the box.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
You can't set a profile to work only between designated hours. You'll have to set up the separate profiles how you want them ('Daytime' and 'Night', perhaps) and then you'll have to switch between them manually.

There might be a 3rd party app that can do what you want, but this functionality is not available out of the box.
OK now that I understand I will have to setup 2 profiles. Can you tell me how do I set the profiles to do the following:

1) Beep and Vibrate when email is sent to my email address in the "To:" field

2) NO Beep, NO Vibrate when email is cc'd or bcc'd to my email address

3) NO Beep, Yes Vibrate when email is sent to ant of the distribution groups I belong to and the distribution group is in the "To:" Field.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator
 
d_fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Model: 9700
OS: SID 6.7
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 4,455
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiladka
OK now that I understand I will have to setup 2 profiles. Can you tell me how do I set the profiles to do the following:

1) Beep and Vibrate when email is sent to my email address in the "To:" field

2) NO Beep, NO Vibrate when email is cc'd or bcc'd to my email address

3) NO Beep, Yes Vibrate when email is sent to ant of the distribution groups I belong to and the distribution group is in the "To:" Field.
Sorry, you can't do that either. You can create different profiles that control how your BlackBerry notifies you of different events. And you can create filters that perform actions on messages based on the To: Cc: Bbc: fields. Unfortunately, the filters and profiles can't interact with each other.
__________________
Doug

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
Sorry, you can't do that either. You can create different profiles that control how your BlackBerry notifies you of different events. And you can create filters that perform actions on messages based on the To: Cc: Bbc: fields. Unfortunately, the filters and profiles can't interact with each other.

How do I set filters so that my blackberry does not beep or vibrate on receiving a message that was not sent to me with me in the "To:" field

Thanks
Offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bpdunsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 131
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
Sorry, you can't do that either. You can create different profiles that control how your BlackBerry notifies you of different events. And you can create filters that perform actions on messages based on the To: Cc: Bbc: fields. Unfortunately, the filters and profiles can't interact with each other.
That's not entirely true. You can define a filter that sets all email sent TO your address as Level 1 messages. All other email would be "normal" (i.e. non-Level 1) messages. Then, in Profiles, setup different alerts for "Messages" and "Level 1 Messages."
Offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdunsta
That's not entirely true. You can define a filter that sets all email sent TO your address as Level 1 messages. All other email would be "normal" (i.e. non-Level 1) messages. Then, in Profiles, setup different alerts for "Messages" and "Level 1 Messages."

Thanks for your reply. I am still looking for a feature that will differentiate the email that are sent to my email address as apposed to the distribution groups that I belond to.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,110
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

best thing I like about the filters and profiles part is to send those marketing/prank calls straight to voicemal ... Llove it.. I get couple of very annoying phone calls and now I never answer them. specially when the computer is calling from other side.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator
 
d_fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Model: 9700
OS: SID 6.7
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 4,455
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdunsta
That's not entirely true. You can define a filter that sets all email sent TO your address as Level 1 messages. All other email would be "normal" (i.e. non-Level 1) messages. Then, in Profiles, setup different alerts for "Messages" and "Level 1 Messages."
Yeah, I realized that shortly after posting my reply. Just didn't have the time to correct myself. Thanks for updating the thread with the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiladka
Thanks for your reply. I am still looking for a feature that will differentiate the email that are sent to my email address as apposed to the distribution groups that I belond to.
You might be able to use filters for this. Go to Messages > Options > Email Filters. Create and test your filters with trial and error.
__________________
Doug

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by d_fisher : 08-25-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.