BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle
Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Blackberry system time

Please Login to Remove!

I have been going around with RIM and Cingular on the issue of the Blackberry 8700C not keeping the proper time. The device tends to fall behind and I think it's rediculous to have to go into Settings-Options-Date/Time adn use the roller wheel to select Update time. The cheapest of Cellular phones keep better time than this $400.00 Blackberry. I have the Blackberry set to update off of the Network adn that is what I expect it to do. You would think if you turned off the antenna or powered down adn back up the device that it would update the time. Yes I know you can sync the time with the USB cable when you connect it, but what is the point of running 4.0 BES and Wireless Sync if you have to connect it to keep the time straight?

Anyone interested in testing how there device updates time and post back?
I would ask if others of you have other providers and even other device versions, that you select Update from Network and then save, then set your time ahead manually, turn off your antenna or power down and back up and see if your time corrects itself automaitally, or leave it over a day and see if your device ever corrects itself.

P.S. The RIM rep said his Rodgers device worked and that it must be a Cingular issue. The Cingular rep said I needed the latest software which I was already running and that you should have a field to update time automatically(yeah on my Nokia phone, but not on my Berry).

Thanks
Chris
Offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 03:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 7290
Carrier: robbers
Posts: 50
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi Chris,

the clock in the BB's is quite accurate. Is it possible that the computer you USB-connect your BB to is not set to the exact time? If that computer's clock is out, the incorrect time will be copied to the BB. The symptoms you describe are just like the ones i experienced. My BB "lost" 30 seconds a day. I have since installed
NIST Internet Time Service
and haven't had any more clock issues.

shadowbox
Offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle
Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Berry time

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbox
Hi Chris,

the clock in the BB's is quite accurate. Is it possible that the computer you USB-connect your BB to is not set to the exact time? If that computer's clock is out, the incorrect time will be copied to the BB. The symptoms you describe are just like the ones i experienced. My BB "lost" 30 seconds a day. I have since installed NIST Internet Time Service
and haven't had any more clock issues.

shadowbox
How often do you cable your Berry? The whole point of Wireless Sync in the Enterprise environment is so you don't have to cable it except to charge. Your claim that the Blackberry is so accurate is a misnomer because you are actually relying on the PC to update it's time. Most companies do a great job of keeping there servers and the end users computrers time correct. If you want to help try testing if your Blackberry updates from the network with a power on or Wireless antenna on situation. The blackberry is pulling the system time from the network but is not updating itself.
Offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
ssymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Model: 9530
PIN: stripe suit
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default maybe you need a new battery, or perhaps a faulty device

Sounds like a legitmate problem report.
I support a lot of BlackBerry end users, and I never receive tickets about a BlackBerry losing time. I realize it happens, but I would have to categorize it as a rarely heard issue.
The reason most computers (handhelds included) lose time is that the battery is no longer holding enough of a charge. You might try buying a new BlackBerry battery to see if that helps. If that doesn't help, then you may have to return the entire handheld to Cingular.
__________________
850 > 857 > 6710 > 6230 > 7230 > 7520 > 8703e > 9530
nRIMGateway > BESD 2.2 > BESD 4.0 > BESD 4.1
BESX 3.6 > BESX 4.0 > BESX 4.1
Offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle
Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssymes
Sounds like a legitmate problem report.
I support a lot of BlackBerry end users, and I never receive tickets about a BlackBerry losing time. I realize it happens, but I would have to categorize it as a rarely heard issue.
The reason most computers (handhelds included) lose time is that the battery is no longer holding enough of a charge. You might try buying a new BlackBerry battery to see if that helps. If that doesn't help, then you may have to return the entire handheld to Cingular.
Thanks for the response, but the update time behavior is apparent on Verizon and Cingular devices even when the battery does not run down. I actually have never seen a Berry that will correct it's time without user inter-action from power up or antenna up like a cell phone does. I don't believe it's a device issue, but a software issue from RIM. I would to hear from anyone who's device actually works.
Offline  
Old 10-25-2006, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 7290
Carrier: robbers
Posts: 50
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

> How often do you cable your Berry?

every few days, when i back it up.

> try testing if your Blackberry updates from the network

hmm i have a 7290, the handheld gives me the option to manually update the time/date from the network, i don't see an option to do that automatically.

ok so i select "update from network", set the clock ahead by two minutes, turn the radio off then on again... the clock is not automatically corrected. Next i turn the radio off again, reboot the BB, turn the radio back on, and the clock still is not automatically adjusted. Now I'll leave it like this for 24 hours and see if the clock will be adjusted automatically over the network.

Last edited by shadowbox : 10-25-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle
Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbox
> How often do you cable your Berry?

every few days, when i back it up.

> try testing if your Blackberry updates from the network

hmm i have a 7290, the handheld gives me the option to manually update the time/date from the network, i don't see an option to do that automatically.

ok so i select "update from network", set the clock ahead by two minutes, turn the radio off then on again... the clock is not automatically corrected. Next i turn the radio off again, reboot the BB, turn the radio back on, and the clock still is not automatically adjusted. Now I'll leave it like this for 24 hours and see if the clock will be adjusted automatically over the network.
Thanks for testing. I actually got a different answer from the last RIM rep I talked to, he said that there is no automatic update of time designed into the Berry without user interaction. They were concerned that the berry was not keeping accurate time though. I still can't believe a $400.00 device cannot automaticlly update itself. I don't understand the reasoning behing not having it update automatically.
Offline  
Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 7290
Carrier: robbers
Posts: 50
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So yeah, no automatic clock adjustment except through the USB connection. I'm also curious why the system is designed like that.
Offline  
Old 10-26-2006, 04:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
K-Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 592
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebbuser
I have been going around with RIM and Cingular on the issue of the Blackberry 8700C not keeping the proper time. The device tends to fall behind and I think it's rediculous to have to go into Settings-Options-Date/Time adn use the roller wheel to select Update time. The cheapest of Cellular phones keep better time than this $400.00 Blackberry. I have the Blackberry set to update off of the Network adn that is what I expect it to do. You would think if you turned off the antenna or powered down adn back up the device that it would update the time. Yes I know you can sync the time with the USB cable when you connect it, but what is the point of running 4.0 BES and Wireless Sync if you have to connect it to keep the time straight?

Anyone interested in testing how there device updates time and post back?
I would ask if others of you have other providers and even other device versions, that you select Update from Network and then save, then set your time ahead manually, turn off your antenna or power down and back up and see if your time corrects itself automaitally, or leave it over a day and see if your device ever corrects itself.

P.S. The RIM rep said his Rodgers device worked and that it must be a Cingular issue. The Cingular rep said I needed the latest software which I was already running and that you should have a field to update time automatically(yeah on my Nokia phone, but not on my Berry).

Thanks
Chris
My 8700c does the same thing, it's frustrating as hell. I think it pertains to the particular OS you are running because I decided to try a newer version from another carrier and the device kept PERFECT time. I ended up going back to the Cingular OS because call quality sucked on the newer version, and now my clock is always wrong again.
__________________
8700c
Samsung Wep 200 Headset
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.