Originally Posted by bperkins
Is it possible to switch two active Blackberry's on Cingular's network by simply switching the sims, and changing the IMEI/PIN on the BIS? Or is this a situation I will have to call support for?
Yes, it's very easy as I do exactly that. Here's how I use my two BB's.
Monday thru Thursday I use my 8700c, then on Friday I "change handhelds" to my 7130c.
Here are the steps:
1) Remove the battery and sim from the BB you are currently using. Leave the battery out and set that device aside.
2) Go to the BIS log in site.
3) After logging in there is a choice on the upper left side of the page "change handheld"
4) Click on change handheld and enter the PIN & IMEI for the BB you are going to switch to. A dialog box will appear confirming that the change has been accepted and to register your "new" device.
5) Insert the sim and battery which will auto boot your BB.
6) Upon boot completion go to the icon on the main screen "turn wireless on" and do so.
7) Wait until you see the word edge (lower case) by the signal strength meter turn to EDGE (all caps)
8) Go to your messages folder and look for a message that your device has successfully registered.
9) In 5 to 20 minutes your email will begin arriving and you're all set.
To switch back just do the same thing.
Finally I have found that it's important to leave the battery out of the device you are not using so it does not interefere (even if it's off) with the device you are currently using.
One more Important TIP:
If you have not done so, go to RIM and download Desktop Manager ver. 4.2
I makes it a lot easier to switch between devices when it comes to doing a sync to get your newest info on the device you have switched to.