BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Cingular shipped my 1st BB, a 7130c without a sim. I used the sim from my RAZR which said 64k smartchip on the front, is a green color with a set of numbers on the back. Works fine.

Then I order a Cingular 8700c & it comes with a sim that says 64k on the front, is blue & says 3G on the back. I have not activated or used the 3G sim.

I just remove my original sim from the 7130 & put it in the 8700 & change the PIN & IMEI in BIS when switching devices & it works fine.

Should I continue this way & save the new 3G sim?

I also swap back to my RAZR when I want to disconnect from work. This is working well presently using my old sim. I do not know if it will work with the 3G chip.

Please offer comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I would contact Customer Care to be certain. However I do believe that you will need to use the sim card with 3G on it to take advantage of it when they roll it out in your area if they havent already. I am not 100% on this but for some reason I think I read about it somewhere or heard that in a training class. Let us know what you find out
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There's no need to use the new SIM unless you're having problems with the old one. It seems like there are even some cases where people have been unhappy with what seem to be SIM-related issues after switching to the newer one. On the other hand, both my of 8700c's have the 3G SIM and I've never had any problems. The 3G on the SIM is meaningless to the 8700 and probably to your RAZR.
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Good point Totally forgot about the devices themselves.
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

1st a bit of background. Until I got my first BB a month ago, I was a typical cell phone user with just one phone. So, Ixxx8217;m very new to this whole concept of having more than one phone and swapping the sim between phones. Then when my 8700 came with a sim I carefully inspected it and found that it was 3G as I mentioned in my earlier post. How many different sims are there? What about advantages vs. disadvantages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner
I would contact Customer Care to be certain. However I do believe that you will need to use the sim card with 3G on it to take advantage of it when they roll it out in your area if they havent already.
When I called Customer Care they seemed more like the sales department, as they were pushing the 3 G card. However that said, I would like to take advantage of 3G once it is rolled out in my area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
There's no need to use the new SIM unless you're having problems with the old one. It seems like there are even some cases where people have been unhappy with what seem to be SIM-related issues after switching to the newer one. On the other hand, both my of 8700c's have the 3G SIM and I've never had any problems. The 3G on the SIM is meaningless to the 8700 and probably to your RAZR.
I have been fine with the old card so far.
_My concerns are_
1) My sim is approx 2 years old and Ixxx8217;m wondering how durable the contacts are, in terms of wearing out from swapping from phone to phone?
2) I must be able to continue using my RAZR and I do not know if it would work with the new card?
3) Unless there is a reason I must use the new card, I would rather save it as a spare and continue with my old card which seems to be working just fine.
Thanks!
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820

Last edited by archer6 : 11-09-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Your 3G card is designed to work more efficiently with Cingular's 3G devices. It is supposed to help with 3G connection and speed with the devices. As far as as the diffence in your BB? Not much. You can choose to use your old SIM, but if you have a new one at no charge, then i suggest swapping it out. It can only help, and at the very least replace an aging SIM card.

As of right now however, older NOKIAs (prior to 6030) do not accept the new 3G SIM cards. They will need the old 64K SIM.


Any questions?


The Gecko
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oh yes and as far as saving it for emergencies (your old one dies). Forget that notion. A corporate location should replace it at no charge.
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner
I would contact Customer Care to be certain. However I do believe that you will need to use the sim card with 3G on it to take advantage of it when they roll it out in your area if they havent already. I am not 100% on this but for some reason I think I read about it somewhere or heard that in a training class. Let us know what you find out
HUH?

the 8700 is not a 3g device...
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Your 3G card is designed to work more efficiently with Cingular's 3G devices. It is supposed to help with 3G connection and speed with the devices. As far as as the diffence in your BB? Not much. You can choose to use your old SIM, but if you have a new one at no charge, then i suggest swapping it out. It can only help, and at the very least replace an aging SIM card.
Any questions?
Yes one remaining question please. Will the new 3G card I have work in my RAZR? If so, then I agree with your suggestion, no reason to save as a spare.

I just want to be able to enjoy swapping between my three phones.
7130c, 8700c, RAZR, all from Cingular.

Thanks for your assistance!
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There has been speculation on Cingular releasing an update for the 8700 to make it push to talk and 3G capable. BUT AGAIN, JUST SPECULATION.

As of now, even if 3G has not launched in your market, If your blackberry travels in to a 3G territory and you have a 3G SIM, your connection will not be affected. You'll still be on EDGE
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
There has been speculation on Cingular releasing an update for the 8700 to make it push to talk and 3G capable. BUT AGAIN, JUST SPECULATION.

As of now, even if 3G has not launched in your market, If your blackberry travels in to a 3G territory and you have a 3G SIM, your connection will not be affected. You'll still be on EDGE


LOL!! That's funny..coming from a company that has not once, in the year that the 8700 has been out, have they released an update. Now, we are expecting 4.2 (maybe from them), and now we are also to believe that they will also might be make a 3g upgrade available for the 8700? That does not make sense to me...
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You obviously did not read my post...i said it was speculation only....

And i dont appreciate your sarcasm.
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Yes one remaining question please. Will the new 3G card I have work in my RAZR? If so, then I agree with your suggestion, no reason to save as a spare.

I just want to be able to enjoy swapping between my three phones.
7130c, 8700c, RAZR, all from Cingular.

Thanks for your assistance!

Yes update away. No need to wait
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
You obviously did not read my post...i said it was speculation only....

And i dont appreciate your sarcasm.


Take a midol..
My sarcasm was not directed at you. Secondly...In my barely coherent post, I qualified the cingular 3g upgraded statement with "MIGHT", that works with your
original statment about it being SPECULATION...so what's the problem?
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
Take a midol..

Youre walking a very thin line buddy
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Youre walking a very thin line buddy


First...There is no need to condescend to me by calling me "buddy", it's presumptuous and downright rude....

Second, please advise me as to why I am walking a thin line?...sorry..a VERY thin line
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

First of all. Please accept my apologies as i did not mean to be condesending. Secondly, I took your response as sarcastic and a stab at my comment.

Now do not assume that I dont like being disagreed with. I actually enjoy a nice debate.

The very thin line....Advising me to take a midol??? Uncalled for and unprofessional.
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
First of all. Please accept my apologies as i did not mean to be condesending. Secondly, I took your response as sarcastic and a stab at my comment.

Now do not assume that I dont like being disagreed with. I actually enjoy a nice debate.

The very thin line....Advising me to take a midol??? Uncalled for and unprofessional.


Apology accepted.

As to the midol comment, it was an attempt at levity...Not well received I see . So comment retracted.

I'll make sure to use a smiley next time in order to prevent any confusion.
Offline  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Fair enough...

Now that this thread has deviated from topic and all questions...


*Thread Closed*
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.