I just got the 7100g from Cingular having made the decision to dump the bug-infested Treo 650 after three replacements (what a nightmare). I have never used a Blackberry and need some help. Please pardon what may be a long post. First, here is what I have accomplished:
(1) I am using Mailstreet's hosted Exchnage Server and activated the Blackberry Enterprise Server 4.0.
(2) I went to www.cingular.com/blackberry
and put in my PIN and IMEI number. I then provided a User ID and password. It appears that Cingular has now given me a new email address for use ont he Blackberry. I do not want it, and do not plan on using it. I think it was a mistake to set it up, since I just want to synch with my mailbox on Mailstreet. I am not sure this matters, but I do not want a lot of junk from this address.
(3) I selected Enterprise Activation on the BB and put in my email address and the password that Mailstreet gave me. It said "Activating..." That remained for a while, and then I got a list of various services that were initializing and then activating and then said Complete.
(4) When the Activation was complete, I had all my contacts and calendar info, and my email.
Now for the issues I would appreciate help with:
(1) When I select messages on the BB, it shows me far more messages than are in my Inbox. I cannot even figure out what these are, but I think they are also Sent Items, and maybe Deleted Items. This seems an odd behavior. I want my Inbox to appear by default, not all messages in my Inbox and Sent Items, and whatever else is showing up there. I can click the Track Wheel and View Folder, Inbox, but that is a lot of steps.
(2) The messages are not in the same order as they are when viewed in Outlook. I would think that the timestamp would have transferred, but it did not for all items. As a result, they appear "out of order" on the BB. Many of the messages have a time of approximately when I Activated, but others have the correct time. Any clue why?
(3) Messages that I sent to myself do not appear show up on the BB. I suspect this is related to the Shift-Delete issue, but am unsure why.
(4) I often Shift-Delete in Outlook. I did a search of the forum and found out that there is what I consider a bug in that items that are shift-deleted do not get deleted on the BB. Is there any cure for this other than not using shift-delete?
(5) Many of the messages on the BB are marked with a check. Are these Sent Items.
(6) If I delete an item on the BB, should it automatically delete on the Exchange Server, or so I have to do a Reconcile Now. I cannot really figure out why Reconcile Now is even an option since I thought the BB was basically always sending and receiving. What is Reconcile Now for?
(7) Is there any reason to install the Desktop Manager? I was told by a Mailstret Tech Support person that I should still install it as it will give options that are not itherwise available.
(8) How can I synch subfolders under my Inbox? And, related to this, when I drag an item to a Subfolder under the Inbox, will it synch automatically, or will I have to do a Reconcile Now?
Sorry for the long post. I feel like a bit of an idiot because I would bet that these are mosty very elementary questions.