BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100v
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Someone please help me!!!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I have just recieved a sim card for my new blackberry 7100v, I have signed up to a phone/internet package. When I put my sim card in it took a few seconds to figure everything out then it connected to the vodaphone uk network and i checked my messages and i had like 10 completely random ones for random people (dunno what thats about)... Well anyway basically I havent got a clue how to set up the email side of things, and the whole enterprise activation thing, I have no idea what to do with that?!? I dont know if i can sinc with my current email accounts: a gmail one, and a godaddy (web hoster) one if not i more than happy to set up a new email account just as long as it sincs with my blackberry so i get alerted whenever I recieve a new email. So could someone please tell me how to set up an account and link it with my blackberry? Sorry I hope that made some sense lol, and I would be really greatful if someone could help me ^_^
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
junior1790's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Connecticut
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 856
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Once you popped in the sim card, what messages did you get? have you registered the device on the network? was this someones else's phone first, if so that would explain the random messages? are you traveling overseas or do you live there?
G-mail will work flawlessly ans it is set through the blackberry internet service which is linked to your carrier. As far as the enterprise activation goes, if you don't know what it is, you don't need it. What it is, e-mail that is hooked up to some kind of server, whether exchange or another, most popular is exchange. you will see people refer to the BES (blackberry exchange service), that is hosted e-mail either by your company or a third party such as exchangemymail.com...
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Posts: 3,309
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Phone/internet package means nothing. When referring to said phone/internet package do you mean BlackBerry Data Plan? If not you need a BlackBerry Data Plan for any data related function on the BlackBerry, email, web etc. no way around it, BlackBerry's communicate through RIM's secure servers. The email on the phone may be from the previous owner. In the case you do have a BlackBerry Data Plan login to you BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) account and add you POP3 accounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonnight
phone/internet package.
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,960
Post Thanks: 121
Thanked 861 Times in 828 Posts
Default

BES = BlackBerry Enterprise Server
BIS = BlackBerry Internet Service
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button ī


Z10 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100v
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1790
Once you popped in the sim card, what messages did you get? have you registered the device on the network? was this someones else's phone first, if so that would explain the random messages? are you traveling overseas or do you live there?
G-mail will work flawlessly ans it is set through the blackberry internet service which is linked to your carrier. As far as the enterprise activation goes, if you don't know what it is, you don't need it. What it is, e-mail that is hooked up to some kind of server, whether exchange or another, most popular is exchange. you will see people refer to the BES (blackberry exchange service), that is hosted e-mail either by your company or a third party such as exchangemymail.com...
ty, im glad u understood what i was saying lol! My dad got it for me for christmas through his company, thats what i thought about the second hand thing but he's assured me that it isnt... Im checking my messages now and they have all been recieved within two minutes of each other, the first one says 'registration' and just says 'your handheld has been registered with the wireless network' and the other 6 are completely random...
Im so glad that i can sinc with my gmail account, could you please take me through the steps to do it? (im a permenate UK resident btw)
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
mswiech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 55
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Since your BlackBerry has come from the corporate environment you need to make sure that you don't have the companies IT Policy on the BlackBerry. If you do have the IT Policy you will need to have your dad take the BlackBerry back and have his IT Department assign a blank IT Policy to the BlackBerry.

You can check your BlackBerry by going into options>security options>general options> and look at the IT Policy it should be blank, but if its populated with info then you know you have an IT Policy on the BlackBerry.
__________________
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, Security+, Linux+, Network+, A+
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100v
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswiech
Since your BlackBerry has come from the corporate environment you need to make sure that you don't have the companies IT Policy on the BlackBerry. If you do have the IT Policy you will need to have your dad take the BlackBerry back and have his IT Department assign a blank IT Policy to the BlackBerry.

You can check your BlackBerry by going into options>security options>general options> and look at the IT Policy it should be blank, but if its populated with info then you know you have an IT Policy on the BlackBerry.
It doesnt quite go like that with mine :p i went to 'settings>options>securtiy' and the only thing simular to what you are saying is a section entitled 'services' and it says 'no services', is that the right thing?
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
mswiech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 55
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That is good to hear you don't have an IT policy assigned to the BlackBerry. Have you created your BIS account through your wireless provider? Have they gave you your BIS email address?
__________________
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, Security+, Linux+, Network+, A+
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100v
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswiech
That is good to hear you don't have an IT policy assigned to the BlackBerry. Have you created your BIS account through your wireless provider? Have they gave you your BIS email address?
As I dont have a clue what you're talking about im guessing i dont lol :p Could u pls enlighten me? ;)

Last edited by crimsonnight : 01-10-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
mswiech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 55
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

who is your wireless carrier provider? are you in north america, south america, europe, or asia pacific? who are you paying for your service each month?
__________________
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, Security+, Linux+, Network+, A+
Offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100v
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i live in the UK, my service provider is Vodafone and as far as I know I am paying £15.00 an month for the internet + call charges...
Offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100v
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Could you please tell me where I go from, here?
Offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: Z30
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,921
Post Thanks: 61
Thanked 258 Times in 185 Posts
Default

It sounds like you need to call your service provider and purchase a Blackberry Data Plan. Even if you have "internet" you are paying for, call and confirm you have already, or purchase the data plan.
Offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
junior1790's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Connecticut
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 856
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Your service provider has to assign your PIN number ( which is exclusive to your BB) to your blackberry data plan, once this happens they will send you "service books" which you will know you received because the voda browser will appear for you...
Offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100v
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OK, thanks for your help I'll check with Vodafone tomorrow but just incase it means anything I already have the browser which works 100% fine...
Offline  




Copyright © 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.