Originally Posted by dougdoug99
Need some help please -- bb 7290
I'm looking at a blackberry tomorrow that's supposedly new and i'm totally unfamiliar with them. I have a few questions:
1. How would I check to make sure it was never activated?
2. Where does it say the model #?
3. What things can I check to see how long it's been used? (Minutes active recorded or anything?)
4. Anyone have any advice of thigns to look for before buying it.
I'm buying it form a person, not a store. Person says it's brand new basically.
1. Almost all BlackBerry's are carrier branded. If it is not, then I would be suspicious. Call the carrier to make sure the device belongs to the person who is selling it.
2. Easist place is in the Options/About menu. It is also under the battery in the battery compartment
3. Probably can't
4. Sure. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Don't assume the device is unlocked and can be used on any carrier. Make sure you know the best deal from your carrier of choice - it may be cheaper to buy a device and plan there than having to buy a new plan on a device bought elsewhere. If there is mail in the inbox, ask whose it is just in case the device is stolen. If you are using it for BIS/BWC (i.e. personal email) you must be willing to jump through some carrier hoops if you need to move it from one carrier to another.