BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: None
Carrier: None
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Treo 650/Goodlink User Thinking of Switching to 8703e

Please Login to Remove!

I currently use a Treo 650 with Goodlink on Sprint. Like many other Treo users I have a love/hate relationship with the device: I love its versatility but hate its frequent resets, low memory, and various bugs. I知 considering switching to an 8703e, also on Sprint, but have a few questions before taking the plunge. I should mention that I use the Treo mainly for phone, corporate and personal email and web browsing (i.e. I rarely use the camera, music player, etc.). My questions are as follows:

1. How does the web browsing experience compare between the Treo 650 and Blackberry? I知 in an EVDO area so I assume that would be a help in and of itself. Most of the sites I visit are PDA or WAP versions already optimized for mobile access. A related question would be how the 8703e compares to the 700p for web access, because another option would be for me to upgrade to that phone instead.
2. For those of you that have used Goodlink on a Treo, how does the BES experience compare? I must say that the best thing about the Treo for me has been my Goodlink experience. I知 particularly concerned about going to an email system that does not allow you to flag a message for follow up. Any idea if Blackberry will be adding this option? I use it all the time with Goodlink and it syncs beautifully with my Outlook/Exchange mail at the office. I realize that I could mark the message as unread as a workaround, but that seems like a poor substitute for flagging.
3. I use Chatter for my personal email on the Treo. What a great program. It pushes my personal email to me using the IMAP IDLE command. How would the 8703e work with my personal email? Will I be disappointed coming from Chatter?

I understand there will be tradeoffs regardless of what I decide but these are the issues that concern me the most. Appreciate everyone痴 feedback. Thanks.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
dgray8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: halfway between here and there
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 608
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

lots of good questions....too bad I don't know the Sprint network at all
__________________
A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
Blackberry 8100
http://www.picresize.com/
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
dgray8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: halfway between here and there
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 608
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

but from a more personal standpoint.....i definately prefer BB's over Treos. They are generally easier to troubleshoot, easier to setup email (love the BIS [blackberry internet service] website). As long as your personal email comes through a POP3 or IMAP server, setting it up on the BIS site would be easy. BES also is made to sync well w/ Outlook/Exchange. Perhaps the better person to ask about the BES would be the admin of the BES server.
__________________
A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
Blackberry 8100
http://www.picresize.com/
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have used both and definitely prefer the BB's keyboard and stability. I used Goodlink for a while but abandoned it because it broke my personalized ringers (everything would ring with one tone). The push technology is definitely better on the BB. When I receive an e-mail on my work computer, it actually shows up on my BB before it shows up in my inbox. I am not positive on the flag for follow up. I also flag for follow up and I don't remember seeing flagged items on the BB.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 71
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartphoney
I currently use a Treo 650 with Goodlink on Sprint. Like many other Treo users I have a love/hate relationship with the device: I love its versatility but hate its frequent resets, low memory, and various bugs. I知 considering switching to an 8703e, also on Sprint, but have a few questions before taking the plunge. I should mention that I use the Treo mainly for phone, corporate and personal email and web browsing (i.e. I rarely use the camera, music player, etc.). My questions are as follows:

1. How does the web browsing experience compare between the Treo 650 and Blackberry? I知 in an EVDO area so I assume that would be a help in and of itself. Most of the sites I visit are PDA or WAP versions already optimized for mobile access. A related question would be how the 8703e compares to the 700p for web access, because another option would be for me to upgrade to that phone instead.
2. For those of you that have used Goodlink on a Treo, how does the BES experience compare? I must say that the best thing about the Treo for me has been my Goodlink experience. I知 particularly concerned about going to an email system that does not allow you to flag a message for follow up. Any idea if Blackberry will be adding this option? I use it all the time with Goodlink and it syncs beautifully with my Outlook/Exchange mail at the office. I realize that I could mark the message as unread as a workaround, but that seems like a poor substitute for flagging.
3. I use Chatter for my personal email on the Treo. What a great program. It pushes my personal email to me using the IMAP IDLE command. How would the 8703e work with my personal email? Will I be disappointed coming from Chatter?

I understand there will be tradeoffs regardless of what I decide but these are the issues that concern me the most. Appreciate everyone痴 feedback. Thanks.
I too had a 650 . I didnt have chatter though.

ALl i can say is that i am soooo much happier going to the BB 8703e. I love teh speed and for email its the best! period.

I terms of web browsing it is very fast. It doesnt have a touch screen but for most all of the web sites i get into i have no problem at all. By the way, i prefer non touch screen. I like the fact that i have to push something to incorporate a command.

to me its a no brainer.. you will love the 8703. By the way, if you are in a EVDO Rev A area its really really fast.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: None
Carrier: None
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal
I too had a 650 . I didnt have chatter though.

ALl i can say is that i am soooo much happier going to the BB 8703e. I love teh speed and for email its the best! period.

I terms of web browsing it is very fast. It doesnt have a touch screen but for most all of the web sites i get into i have no problem at all. By the way, i prefer non touch screen. I like the fact that i have to push something to incorporate a command.

to me its a no brainer.. you will love the 8703. By the way, if you are in a EVDO Rev A area its really really fast.
Thanks for the info faisal. Sounds promising. One of the other reasons I'm looking to possibly switch is that I prefer to keep my phone in my front pocket rather than on my belt. With the antenna and weight of the 650 this is not terribly convenient. I'm hoping that the 8703e is more pocket-friendly than the 650?
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 71
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

you will like the weight and form factor of the bb. I hated the weight of the 650. i hated the antenna.

The BB is lighter and thinner. i also am able to wear it on my belt easier than the 650.

I liked the functionality of the 650 in the ability to do other things but. If you are looking for a solid phone, solid email, solid OS, Solid hardware, solid PIM...the 8703e blows the 650.

If you have any more questions or want to talk to me you can email me at [email address] and i can tell you more.

thanks
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 25
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had the Treo 650 with Goodlink also, then after a year jumped to the Motorola Q also with Goodlink.

Just dumped the Q and ordered the 8703e, hopefully it will work better than Goodlink.

Brian
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Sparkomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: Bold
OS: 4.6
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her
Posts: 841
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've used BB, then Goodlink on a Treo and PPC and then ActiveSync. Now, I'm back on a BB 8700c. Personally, I think Goodlink has a slight edge over the BB in terms of overall syncing.

Tasks on the BB seem to not sync well at all with Outlook.
Good is nice but it's slower compared to a BB, more memory intensive and you have to deal with the reboots/issues of a Treo.
I don't know about flagging a message.
Email gets to my device fast whether it's Good or the BB. ActiveSync was hit and miss.

The BB is just so simple. I never had problems with it before and since getting it again, still no problems. I'm hoping the 8800 will be out soon cause I do miss a little bit of the multimedia capability that I think the 8800 will fill.
__________________
Brandon
My Website & Twitter
Offline  
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: None
Carrier: None
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is all helpful info. Thanks. Still would be interested in hearing from others on the web browsing experience on the Blackberry as compared to the Treo 650 as well as the email flagging question. Thanks.
Offline  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston
Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My understanding is/was that Treo is much faster with web-surfing and Blackerry is better/faster for emailing.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: None
Carrier: None
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan
My understanding is/was that Treo is much faster with web-surfing and Blackerry is better/faster for emailing.
Anyone else have any insight on this? I don't find web browsing on my Treo 650 to be very good at all (fairly slow with random resets) so I was hoping it might be better on the 8703e. As stated in the initial post, I mainly access sites that are streamlined for mobile access. Also, how is the bookmark system on the Blackberry?
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: None
Carrier: None
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic
I've used BB, then Goodlink on a Treo and PPC and then ActiveSync. Now, I'm back on a BB 8700c. Personally, I think Goodlink has a slight edge over the BB in terms of overall syncing.

Tasks on the BB seem to not sync well at all with Outlook.
Has anyone else had problems with the syncing of tasks between the Blackberry and Outlook? I need my handheld to mirror Outlook like it does for me currently with my Goodlink/Treo 650/Outlook/Exchange combination.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,032
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Browsing speed really depends on your connection as well as processor and memory. It is difficult to say which is faster IMHO.

I had 3 Treo 600s and a 650 before switching to a BB 8700. I have also used a Blackjack on EDGE and 3G. If my memory is correct, the BB far exceeded the Treo in about everything, including stability of the OS. It doesn't reboot itself several times a day, nor does it eat all the data and leave you with nothing. Email is greatly enhanced.

I do not use the browser that much but do use the calendar, contacts, email and phone features.

I didn't find 3G all that much faster either, but battery life was terrible in 3G mode on the Blackjack.

On the BB, all email is pushed to the device.

Hope this helps.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston
Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartphoney
Anyone else have any insight on this? I don't find web browsing on my Treo 650 to be very good at all (fairly slow with random resets) so I was hoping it might be better on the 8703e. As stated in the initial post, I mainly access sites that are streamlined for mobile access. Also, how is the bookmark system on the Blackberry?
This is just what Treo people have told me. The Cignular rep said that much faster web surfing technology is out there than the one used by EDGE, but Blackberry hasn't integrated it in yet.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,032
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan
This is just what Treo people have told me. The Cignular rep said that much faster web surfing technology is out there than the one used by EDGE, but Blackberry hasn't integrated it in yet.

i wouldn't say 3G was "much faster". It all depends on the connection first, then memory and then the processor.
Offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: None
Carrier: None
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Appreciate all the info. One other question I have that I couldn't find the answer to by searching is how well the PIM functions on the Blackberry sync with Outlook/Exchange through BES. Specifically, my calendar appointments and contacts in Outlook often have notes with them. These sync well with Goodlink so that a calendar or contact note entered in Outlook will be accessible on the device and vice versa. Will the Blackberry work in the same fashion?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright ゥ 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM ゥ and BlackBerry ゥ are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.