There are tons of threads regarding how to setup email on a blackberry. Despite the massive amounts of great information out there it can get confusing, especially for those with BIS 2.0 who want to push personal accounts to their BB device. I know this, because after a year hiatus from the BB world I am back and needed to setup my device with multiple email accounts and information is scattered and confusing. Hence, the purpose of this thread.
The goal here is to have multiple email accounts pushed to your BB while retaining the correct address for replies AND while having all your email available through the Gmail web app. There is an outdated app called BBReply which attempted to correct this, but is now obsolete. There was also an attempt by Cross River with their app "Reply As New", however I, along with others, felt this app to be very buggy.
I have my own company email hosted by a hosting company. I also have a personal address with Gmail. I really like the Gmail interface and the ability to have all my email in one web app with threaded conversations is extremely productive and efficient. So I forward all my company email to Gmail to gain these benefits as well as to take the strain off of my email hosting account (bandwidth/storage charges, etc). This is a great setup, but what about getting the mail pushed to the BB? Well, if you simply setup BIS with your Gmail account, you will indeed get all your mail. But, the reply address will always be
. You could also simply enter your company email in BIS, but I find Gmail's spam filtering top notch, and automatically having messages forwarded eliminated the spam protection I needed.
This presents a problem...and here's how to fix it.
1) First and foremost, this assumes you have all your company email forwarded from the server to your gmail account. You can do this through your hosting company's control panel, or you can ask your administrator to do it for you.
2) Enter your company email to BIS so that it will allow your BB to compose and send with your company email address.
3) Enter your Gmail account to BIS. This will also allow for the composing and replying of messages with your gmail address.
4) In BIS, create a filter for Gmail called "No Company Messages" and then enter your company email address in the To: and click "Do not forward messages..."
5) In BIS, in the filters option for Company mail check the box under the heading When no filters apply:
"Do not forward messages to handheld".
6) In Gmail settings, create a filter and forward all messages that match To:
. The key is to use a filter in Gmail, not the forwarding options. This will allow you to retain the "correct reply" to address on your BB.
You will now be able to compose messages using any of your email addresses and when replying to messages they will have the correct email address. You can of course set this up for many different accounts. Although this seems long and confusing, it literally takes a few minutes to setup. If anyone has any questions or needs clarification, please let me know. Hope this helps.
You also need "No Sent Message" filters so you don't get back every message you send.
1) In BIS for your Gmail account, create a filter named "No Sent Gmail" and add your gmail address to the "From:" field and select "Do not forward messages to handheld"
2) Again in BIS for your Gmail account, create another filter named "No Sent Company" and add your company address to the "From:" field and select "Do not forward messages to handheld"
To make sure the correct address shows up when replying with your company mail:
1) In BIS, click edit for your blackberry.net address and then set the "Reply To:" as your