My domain, seabyrdtech.com, is hosted at google through their free beta program "Google apps for your domain
". I was having problems getting my email on my Blackberry from 2 of the 5 @seabyrdtech.com accounts that I had setup through the cingular BIS server
. It was pretty inconsistent and frustrating. I had deleted and recreated the accounts, and pushed service books at each step of the way to no avail. Three of the accounts worked like a charm, two did not.
So, I called cingular. They patched me through to RIM. I got an awesome tech.The RIM tech had all his email hosted at google so he knew what the problem was. He said that since RIM did not know @seabyrdtech and did not know it was at google (aka gmail) it was setting it up as a regular pop account. There is a bug in google apps for your domain-->after ~200 emails the pop stops working. The tech stated he notified google about it and they basically said, "sorry, but it IS a beta".
The workaround was to login to the @seabyrdtech.com account, disable pop, save, enable pop, save and it would start working again. He stated that that would work, but would be a huge pain every 200 emails....SO
The tech put me on hold. When he returned he asked me login to the cingular BIS, to delete one of my @seabyrdtech.com accounts, and re-create it. Normally this would lead me to the custom configuration page where you put in the pop or IMAP server, choose SSL, etc. BUT
...it immediately said “configured” without making me go to the special advanced setup. They RIM guy had made my email official at RIM so now RIM has all the settings to automagically configure all my @seabyrdtech.com accounts!!!!
The email started flowing immediately! GAWD - I love RIM!
NOTE: if in the future I change hosting from google to someone else I will have to call RIM again and have them remove this automatic configuration.