BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8703
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Verizon - Use Blackberry without data plan or email?

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings,

I would like to replace my cell phone and Palm with a Blackberry, so I have just one device. However, I don't want to have a data plan or emails. Verizon, my mobile carrier, claims they can't sell me a Blackberry without a data plan. Seems that I should be able to buy the Blackberry, but not register my email address nor use the web browser.

Any input?

Thanks!

elfe
Offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
JerryD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.106
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 877
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfe
Greetings,

I would like to replace my cell phone and Palm with a Blackberry, so I have just one device. However, I don't want to have a data plan or emails. Verizon, my mobile carrier, claims they can't sell me a Blackberry without a data plan. Seems that I should be able to buy the Blackberry, but not register my email address nor use the web browser.

Any input?

Thanks!

elfe
If you don't have a data plan, you can't get any email, browse the Internet, or use your BlackBerry as a modem (tethered).

However, if you can live without all that and simply sync your BlackBerry with something like Outlook, I'm not aware of any reason why you can't buy a BlackBerry and put your current SIM card into it and use it as a phone with an address book, calendar, etc.

You will, however, have to buy either a Verizon BlackBerry otherwise it won't connect to the phone network. Also, the BlackBerry is not the greatest cell phone, but it's acceptable.
__________________
.
.
J

Offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
If you don't have a data plan, you can't get any email, browse the Internet, or use your BlackBerry as a modem (tethered).

However, if you can live without all that and simply sync your BlackBerry with something like Outlook, I'm not aware of any reason why you can't buy a BlackBerry and put your current SIM card into it and use it as a phone with an address book, calendar, etc.

You will, however, have to buy either a Verizon BlackBerry otherwise it won't connect to the phone network. Also, the BlackBerry is not the greatest cell phone, but it's acceptable.
1. Verizon is a CDMA carrier and doesn't use SIM cards.
2. The notion that a Blackberry is "not the greatest cell phone" is simply absurd.
3. Verizon Wireless will probably not sell a Blackberry without a data plan.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org

Last edited by penguin3107 : 03-02-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,016
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 778 Times in 740 Posts
Default

Seems to me you are paying a high price for just a basic PIM and phone. You might want to look at the Q as it would do the same thing and probably be much cheaper than the Pearl.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lewiston, New York
Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Why would you go to the expense, and not use the BB for all its worth.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 86
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

dionn...you might go to the expense because you want one device rather than two and/or don't have the $50 per month for VZW data.

To the original poster, you might want to try to buy the phone with a data plan and then immediately cancel the data plan. Since the data plan is considered an add-on to the phone plan, you can do this without penalty. I'm not sure if the BB will continue to try to download data however, so you might need to check further into that.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionnfr
Why would you go to the expense, and not use the BB for all its worth.
That's dubious reasoning as well. It's like saying that you should drive at 200mph all times if you buy a Corvette Z06 because that's what it's capable of...

Not everyone has the same needs as you (thankfully). Plenty of people are happy with their BB's without data plans -- that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrykyle
dionn...you might go to the expense because you want one device rather than two
Precisely -- that was one of the BB's selling points for me. If I didn't want internet or email access I'd probably still use a BB because it's a very reliable device and I don't have to maintain two separate phone books which always bugged me. It was annoying to have to rely on my cell phone book for the latest phone numbers and then turn to Outlook for the latest email addresses and other contact info. There options other than the BB out there, of course, but I'd still recommend a Blackberry unless someone really needs media support, third party apps, or a much more robust PIM features. For me, reliability is very important as I don't want to waste my time troubleshooting my phone/PDA -- I do more than enough troubleshooting at the office.

Last edited by takeshi : 03-02-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8703
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thanks for all the input; I really appreciate it!

Yes, I want to sync with Outlook and use just one device for phone and PDA. I'm not interested in spending $50/mo for the data plan; I don't need the connectivity that urgently. I believe I could also achieve that with a Treo, but understand that it is klutzier.

I believe I could sign up with Verizon for a go-as-you-use plan. I just want to make sure that I have an option not to activate the email, so that I don't receive emails inadvertently and am charged for data usage. Additionally, is it likely that I would use the internet option inadvertently, i.e., by mistakenly pressing the wrong button or selecting the wrong option?

This is a great forum; thank you very much for your informed comments!

elfe
Offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfe
I believe I could sign up with Verizon for a go-as-you-use plan.
I don't believe you can do that for data usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfe
I just want to make sure that I have an option not to activate the email, so that I don't receive emails inadvertently and am charged for data usage.
Without a BB Data Plan, you will not receive emails inadvertently or advertently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfe
Additionally, is it likely that I would use the internet option inadvertently, i.e., by mistakenly pressing the wrong button or selecting the wrong option?
Not if you don't have a BB Data Plan.

So, if Verizon will not sell a BB without a BB Data Plan, you need another carrier.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.