BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How are you handling Desktop Software for dst 2007?

Please Login to Remove!

www#blackberry#com/select/dst2007/resolutions/desktop_software_impact.shtml

(Replace # with a period if you are copying & pasting the link ... I can't post url to other site with less than 10 Posts of my own)

Per that page, if I understand correctly, in preparation for dst 2007, Desktop Software (Manager) also has to be upgraded to 4.2 SP1 or Time/Date Synchronization be disabled?

We have about 100+ users with various Desktop Manager versions ... and since time is of the essence now ... how are you all handling this part? Are you just sending out an email to your users telling them to uncheck Time/Synchronization?

Last edited by BlueBerry2007 : 03-06-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Model: 7750
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 12
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default We updated our Desktop Manager

We rolled out the new Desktop Manager through our internal deployment software. We couldn't leave it up to our 180 users to uncheck the date/time. If we had to apply the reg hack on the older version, why not just update the client since we were going to have to make contact with each PC anyway.
Offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anybody else upgrading their user's Desktop Software (Manager)? There doesn't seem to be much talk about this part ... only patches for the devices.
Offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

We don't even roll out Desktop Manager anymore since we're using BES 4.0.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Francisco
Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 941
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We have a mix of users. Most are wireless as we have 4.1 BES. Problem is we have about 20% of users that are still on 3.6 with 3.6 desktop software. It is not feasilefor us to upgrade the FW or desktop software at this point. We are planning on sending the link to all 580usersfrom the BES. If the users fail at downloading the link they will need to contact the Helpdesk where we can get the specifics on their device. How does this sound?

Also we are not patching our exchange enviroment because we have a mixed 5.5/2003 env or our BES which is 4.1.1.9. What will happen if we patch the Blackberrys.
Offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The environment I'm in was setup before my time. Lotus Notes is used with address books saved locally on the computer. Thus, Destkop Manager has to be used so that users can synchronize their address books with their BB device. It seems (the norm or) other enviroments don't use Desktop Manager at all, except when users need to backup their BB device.
Offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington State
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 294
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry2007
The environment I'm in was setup before my time. Lotus Notes is used with address books saved locally on the computer. Thus, Destkop Manager has to be used so that users can synchronize their address books with their BB device. It seems (the norm or) other enviroments don't use Desktop Manager at all, except when users need to backup their BB device.
If you have BES 4.0 or higher you can wirelessly synch your LN address book. In LN, go to ACTIONS -> SYNCHRONIZE ADDRESS BOOK. Likewise you can sync your journal.
Offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth
If you have BES 4.0 or higher you can wirelessly synch your LN address book. In LN, go to ACTIONS -> SYNCHRONIZE ADDRESS BOOK. Likewise you can sync your journal.
Yes we have at least BES 4.0. Thanks for the suggestion but that will not work because our user's address book are saved locally on the computer. They are not saved on the Notes server.

I even tested, created a new contact entry in LN address book, and did the sync., it doesn't show up in BB device.
Offline  
Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington State
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 294
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry2007
Yes we have at least BES 4.0. Thanks for the suggestion but that will not work because our user's address book are saved locally on the computer. They are not saved on the Notes server.

I even tested, created a new contact entry in LN address book, and did the sync., it doesn't show up in BB device.
Sorry - we are kind of hijacking this thread and going off on a LN tangent...
The method I described will replicate the local address book (stored on your C drive) and send it wirelessly to your BB. On your BB, go in to your address book, and go to Options - make sure that wireless sync is set to "Yes".

A few things to note. There is a big lag in the time that you sync from your computer to actually seeing the change show up on your BB. You can try turning off wireless and then back on, that sometimes works, but often it is a 15 to 30 minute lag.

Also, you will not see the "wireless sync" until the BES server sees a DB for it to send to your device. That option will not even be there.

Anyway, hope that helps. If not, feel free to PM me as we use this a lot.
Offline  
Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
guruleenyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: nYc & CT
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T/Sprint/Nextel
Posts: 186
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (NXTL7520: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I heard there is only a JAD to DL for 7520's...

Am I wrong?

Is there an MSI for the new 4.2 desktop?
__________________
BES Admin/Nextel 60x 7520's/10x AT&T 8800's/2x BES

"Knowledge breeds confidence and confidence breeds success"
Offline  
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 7230
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Desktop Software Data/Time Sync

We had 91 PCs with Desktop Manager installed. I did not want the users to have any more intervention with the Blackberry environment/DST because I put them through a lot the last few weeks.

Use Blackberry article KB11990 that utilizes a registry hack to change the Sync settings on Desktop manager. I used a value of 15, which only sets the PIM sync and message reconciliation (deselects 3rd party and data/time sync).

The big problem is that you cannot remotely edit the HEY_CURRENT_USER key remotely. I used a program called Hyena, which gives you a nice GUI to double click into users registrys easily. While a user is logged into their computer, I navigated to the user's SID key in HKEY_USERS. Look for a long SID key (ex:HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-940582092-1884123223-4117456601-500). If there are multiple long entries, modify it for each of them.
Open it up and navigate to:
HKEY_USERS\THE USER'S SID\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\Parameter change this key value to whatever settings you decide (based on the article).

This worked out well for me, and took about an hour for the 91 users. You can also send out a link to a centralized batch file to the users. This will change the HKEY_CURRENT_USERS. I chose not to do this, because I have a batch of users who ignore IT emails.

Good luck.
Offline  
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth
Sorry - we are kind of hijacking this thread and going off on a LN tangent...
The method I described will replicate the local address book (stored on your C drive) and send it wirelessly to your BB. On your BB, go in to your address book, and go to Options - make sure that wireless sync is set to "Yes".

A few things to note. There is a big lag in the time that you sync from your computer to actually seeing the change show up on your BB. You can try turning off wireless and then back on, that sometimes works, but often it is a 15 to 30 minute lag.

Also, you will not see the "wireless sync" until the BES server sees a DB for it to send to your device. That option will not even be there.

Anyway, hope that helps. If not, feel free to PM me as we use this a lot.
Thanks again for informing of this feature and elaborating on the details. I've never known about the feature. It works, as stated!

We may very well be able to have the user use less of the Desktop Manager.

If you are really use to wireless email reconciliation (where there is no user intervention the reconciliation just happens), there's a bit of a difference to this feature.

If you create a new contact in Notes or the BB device, you have to peform the Synchronize Address Book.

I believe I understand how the feature works now. The BB device doesn't actually wirelessly reconcile with the Notes address book that is saved locally on your computer.

New contacts in the Notes address book have to first be replicated or synchronized to the Domino/BES side (reason for selecting the "Synchronize Address Book" in Notes) ... then the wireless reconciliation happens with the device.

(And if you have new contacts on the BB device, it doesn't just wirelessly reconcile with the local Notes Address book on your computer. The new contact is first made known to the BES/Domino side. Then you pull that into your Notes address book by selecting the "Synchronize Address Book")
Offline  
Old 03-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
scotth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington State
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 294
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry2007
I believe I understand how the feature works now. The BB device doesn't actually wirelessly reconcile with the Notes address book that is saved locally on your computer.

New contacts in the Notes address book have to first be replicated or synchronized to the Domino/BES side (reason for selecting the "Synchronize Address Book" in Notes) ... then the wireless reconciliation happens with the device.

(And if you have new contacts on the BB device, it doesn't just wirelessly reconcile with the local Notes Address book on your computer. The new contact is first made known to the BES/Domino side. Then you pull that into your Notes address book by selecting the "Synchronize Address Book")
Well said!
If you want to go one step further... You can set users up as "roaming users" and then it sync's when it does a replication. This makes it more transparent to the users... But then you are relying on the LN replication engine which really stinks!!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.