Originally Posted by Rsupa
rel12561's solutions seems to work. We wiped, restored and re-activated an 8800 that was having time issues after DST, and it now displays the correct time. Whoever is saying that the 8800's did not need a patch for DST is wrong. The 8800's that we did patch, just for the heck of it, are fine. Ones without the patch had issues. The OS level apparently was not DST compliant after all.
IT worked for me as well and then when I re-registered on the BES it went haywire again. So I did the same steps and RIM sent the following note to me:
Thank you for contacting BlackBerry.
In response to your question regarding your handheld showing incorrect time and appointments, if you have been added to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, this issue would need to be addressed by the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Administrator.
Steps that would need to be taken:
- User would need to be removed from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- Users' information needs to be deleted from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- A security wipe needs to be performed on the handheld
- User readded and Enterprise Activated
Please forward this information to your BlackBerry Enterprise Server Administrator.
We did this this morning and so far so good. By the way, I'm using the 8800 and RIM indicated it does not need the patch as it's internal to the OS. What might be happening is if you've upgraded devices that could be gunking up works which is why users need to be totally removed as a oppsed to resetting the password and having them reactivate, which is what I did yesterday and the problem re-appeared.