BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 169
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Is evdo still faster than edge? Im still with sprint cause the speed is really good. Im not in rev A yet but its still fast. Just curious if edge might be catching up speed wise. Im tired of sprint not bring up to date with there blackberries.
__________________
Tmobile=8700
PIN: 23ED1FA8
AIM=jwolf7722
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
BB4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 219
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf7722
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Is evdo still faster than edge? Im still with sprint cause the speed is really good. Im not in rev A yet but its still fast. Just curious if edge might be catching up speed wise. Im tired of sprint not bring up to date with there blackberries.

yes
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 169
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

thanks guess i will have to wait a few years for a New model then. Just kidding but im sure sprint will be last.
__________________
Tmobile=8700
PIN: 23ED1FA8
AIM=jwolf7722
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mjbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 233
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How much faster is EVDO than EDGE? I'm debating switching from Verizon to Cingular because Verizon isn't doing a very good job at fixing all the issues I'm having (SMS packet failure, voicemail's not deleting, etc)
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 970
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

EDGE is very slow compared to EVDO. I've used both and typically EDGE is about 90kbps and EVDO is (Verizon Rev 0) 400-600kbps. If you're going to tether, it makes a big difference. If you are just using the BB handheld, probably the only difference would be if you use the browser. Cingular's answer to EVDO is HSDPA but we won't expect that in a BB until end of 2007 at the earliest.

Regards-Michael G.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mjbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 233
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
EDGE is very slow compared to EVDO. I've used both and typically EDGE is about 90kbps and EVDO is (Verizon Rev 0) 400-600kbps. If you're going to tether, it makes a big difference. If you are just using the BB handheld, probably the only difference would be if you use the browser. Cingular's answer to EVDO is HSDPA but we won't expect that in a BB until end of 2007 at the earliest.

Regards-Michael G.
Maybe I'll wait to switch until there's an HSDPA BB out for Cingular. I do love the speeds of EVDO (We have Rev A here, but my 8703e only does Rev 0)
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Model: 7800
PIN: 23dee1ec
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf7722
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Is evdo still faster than edge? Im still with sprint cause the speed is really good. Im not in rev A yet but its still fast. Just curious if edge might be catching up speed wise. Im tired of sprint not bring up to date with there blackberries.
EVDO is faster than Edge, but Cingular just released a new connection called G3, which run faster, possible close to EVDO.

Bad news, 8800 still use EDGE, which doesn't have G3 connection yet. I heard new rumors that 8830 will come with new connection beside WIFI. I hope it come with G3 as well.

Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,033
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Speed on a handheld is nothing to write home about however. It depends on the connection, the handheld's processor and available memory. Nothing at all like a cable or DSL connection. I used 3G on a Blackjack for awhile and didn't notice that much of a difference over my BB. Email is still delivered every 15-20 minutes as always on a BB, so nothing earth shattering there.

EDGE typically runs on average 40-90 kbps with a max of 236 kbps. EV-DO currently runs on average 500-700 kbps with a max of 1.2 mbps.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
Speed on a handheld is nothing to write home about however. It depends on the connection, the handheld's processor and available memory. Nothing at all like a cable or DSL connection. I used 3G on a Blackjack for awhile and didn't notice that much of a difference over my BB. Email is still delivered every 15-20 minutes as always on a BB, so nothing earth shattering there.

EDGE typically runs on average 40-90 kbps with a max of 236 kbps. EV-DO currently runs on average 500-700 kbps with a max of 1.2 mbps.
I agree!

There is a BIG difference between the published specs, and real world performance.

I owned a Blackjack and a Samsung Sync 707 both 3G. The only time one notices a difference is when surfing the web. And then only with a solid 3G connection. It has no benefit for email. Then as you mentioned there are many other factors to consider such as processor speed, allocated memory and how that's managed, as well as the overall architecture of the circuitry.

The experience I had with not one, but two Blackjacks was terrible. The have a slow OS, which hangs and crashes or freezes frequently. I was quite surprized at just how poorly they perform, and the level of instability and lack of reliablity. For the most part just a time waster. Who has time to deal with an unreliable error prone device?

My experience with BlackBerry's has been exemplary. They are very fast, reliable and stable. In the areas that matter most, the BB cannot be beat. I know that my BlackBerry will always beform as expected. It gets the job done, and that's the most important part. I must have a device that I can count on and that device is a BB.

Cheers...
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,033
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
I agree!

There is a BIG difference between the published specs, and real world performance.

I owned a Blackjack and a Samsung Sync 707 both 3G. The only time one notices a difference is when surfing the web. And then only with a solid 3G connection. It has no benefit for email. Then as you mentioned there are many other factors to consider such as processor speed, allocated memory and how that's managed, as well as the overall architecture of the circuitry.

The experience I had with not one, but two Blackjacks was terrible. The have a slow OS, which hangs and crashes or freezes frequently. I was quite surprized at just how poorly they perform, and the level of instability and lack of reliablity. For the most part just a time waster. Who has time to deal with an unreliable error prone device?

My experience with BlackBerry's has been exemplary. They are very fast, reliable and stable. In the areas that matter most, the BB cannot be beat. I know that my BlackBerry will always beform as expected. It gets the job done, and that's the most important part. I must have a device that I can count on and that device is a BB.

Cheers...

Well said!
Offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd also check into actual browsing speed on EVDO vs EDGE on a BB. I've heard from those who have actually performed side-by-side comparisons that there's very little difference due to page rendering on the BB. I haven't been able to do this myself since I don't have access to an 8703e to test.

Tethering, of course, bypasses that bottleneck.
Offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've done side-by-side comparisons and they are usually either the same or EVDO slightly faster. However, not a drastic difference.
Offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
I'd also check into actual browsing speed on EVDO vs EDGE on a BB. I've heard from those who have actually performed side-by-side comparisons that there's very little difference due to page rendering on the BB. I haven't been able to do this myself since I don't have access to an 8703e to test.

Tethering, of course, bypasses that bottleneck.


Correct, I have had both EVDO and EDGE bb's and the difference, if any, is negligible...

Tethering is another thing..EVDO kills edge...
Offline  
Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mjbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 233
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Bringing this thread back instead of starting a new one. With the Curve coming soon to AT&T, I'm debating my switch from Verizon (8703e). VZW has been annoying me with SMS packet failures and voicemail issues, and my plan would be cheaper with AT&T.

I won't be tethering at all. I check a few websites a couple times a day, nothing major. Mostly I just do email. I'm in an EVDO Rev 0 area now, and I don't think I pull more than 100Kbps average. It takes a while for sites to load that show 62KB for the size of the page.

Am I right in thinking I'll see hardly any difference if any, going to EDGE?
Offline  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
tgeekb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Western New York
Model: 8310
PIN: 2448FC02
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 194
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am in no means an expert, but I don't think you see a great difference if you are surfing on your device. If you tether, and download lots of data, then you probably see a big difference. I am on Cingular with a Pearl and pages load rather quickly. It's not like I wait forever for a page to load, it only a few seconds. Hope this helps.
__________________
I'm BACK with my Curve 8310.
Offline  
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
stonent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,734
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Surfing on my 7130e vs on a 8700g, there isn't a whole lot of difference that I can tell. The 8700 has a faster processor but slower connection. But when tethered, the difference is very noticable.
__________________
Stonent

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Offline  
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
FroogleThis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern VA
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Posts: 273
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just switched from Cingular's 8700c to Sprint's 8703e. Onboard speed isn't much different, but the tethering is pretty significant. It also frustrated me when I got the 8700c, and the OS was defunkt out of the box. Took it to the store to exchange it, and the guy kept my 3G card, saying the device doesn't utilize 3G anyways...

Sprint's been great to me though. I wish the new device's would launch soon, but I prefer the almost perfect signal at my 2 most frequent places, home and work.
Offline  
Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
stonent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,734
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The processor on the 8703 is a little bit slower since it uses a Qualcomm all in one chip that has the CDMA DSP and ARM chip in one package and the 8700 uses an xScale processor (also ARM based, but faster overall)
__________________
Stonent

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Offline  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8800
PIN: 23fca7dc
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

EDGE will be geting a update this year to put it closs to 1mb speeds (thanks SE). On the other hand. I am a CO tech I install and fix T1 lines going Cell towers. I can tell u now and i am not lieing speeds all matter on how many poeple are on the network. Over 36 diff sites with at less t1 going to ever tower for each carrier. I will say this Cingular (at&t) does have the best Techs to work with and most t1s in the Co's i work with. THis might not be ture in other parts of the states but it is here. Verizon is geting good amount of t1's also. spirt mmm yeah same thing with Alltell, they just dont have many. While speeds may be better( on papper) it all comes down to your phone and how good the modem is. and the 8800 got a great edge modem in it. 3g? well cingular just upgraded there towers to nokia gear thats post to handel 3g with upgrades. But as i said SE will be coming up with a speed upgrade to edge this year and should be alot better.
Offline  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thats the best news i have seen in awhile about EDGE. thanks
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.