BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mjbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 233
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cingular/AT&T BB Data Plan Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone,

I currently have Verizon, and am getting sick of them not fixing my issues. I get packet failure on half the text messages I send, my voice mail is always messed up, etc. So I'm debating switching to Cingular/AT&T.

I'm planning on waiting until the 8300 series comes out to make the switch, but I wanted to get more info about the data plans. I went in today and talked to someone who said I can get the MEdia Bundles for all the usage (BIS, Internet, texting). I'm kinda skeptical about that, because if you go on their website and try to buy a BB, you can only get the $45 BB data plan, then have to pay for messaging on top of that. Can anyone confirm what exactly is needed? I'm trying to figure out if it's going to cost me more a month.

I know I'm going to have to get more minutes with Cingular (most of my family has Verizon, but most of them are looking to switch too anyway).

Another question, semi-related. I am going to travelling to Europe 2-3 times a year, so I asked the woman at Cingular that I spoke with about getting pre-paid Sim cards. She said after being 4-6 months into your contract, they will give you an unlock code for your phone. Is unlocking really as simple is that? Is that the best way to go about it? I'm not to knowledgeable about GSM, so pardon my newb-ness.

Thanks!

- Matt
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Michbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MN
Model: 8100
PIN: 23FAA477
Carrier: Tmo
Posts: 318
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have the same question as you.. but I am thinking of switching from Tmo to Cingular. As far as the phone unlocking it's pretty basic... Once you request your phone to be unlocked they will send you a key to put in and the instructions. Overall I think it takes less than 2 mins to unlock.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There is a plan that is 44.99 for unlimited data and 1000 messages. I do not know what they call it but I am almost sure it is a BB data plan and not a media package. The 44.99 plan also goes down to 39.99 with a voice plan with 450 minutes or more.

Yes getting your BB unlocked is basically that easy. They usually say after 90 days.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
moosehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Model: 8700c
PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 965
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm with Cingular...can't comment on the pre paid SIM cards as i have no idea and won't attempt to guess. I'm sure someone will post the answer for you.

As far as the plans are concerned....if you do not require BES you can get an unlimited BB Data plan(email, internet, etc...) for $29.99(BIS) with a voice plan. This does NOT include SMS messages. So you are looking at $29.99 + $34.99(example voice plan) + $4.99(for like 200 txt a month...rough estimate).



If you require BES the unlimted data plan is $44.99.

I hope this helps somewhat.....

Last edited by moosehead : 03-22-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mjbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 233
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic223
There is a plan that is 44.99 for unlimited data and 1000 messages. I do not know what they call it but I am almost sure it is a BB data plan and not a media package. The 44.99 plan also goes down to 39.99 with a voice plan with 450 minutes or more.

Yes getting your BB unlocked is basically that easy. They usually say after 90 days.
On their website, it says nothing about the 1000 sms/mms. They only show 2 messaging plans... $4.99 for 200, or $19.99 for 3000. Also, the rep I just spoke with said he knows nothing about the plan going down to $39.99 with a voice plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead
I'm with Cingular...can't comment on the pre paid SIM cards as i have no idea and won't attempt to guess. I'm sure someone will post the answer for you.

As far as the plans are concerned....if you do not require BES you can can an unlimited BB Data plan(email, internet, etc...) for $29.99(BIS) with a voice plan. This does NOT include SMS messages. So you are looking at $29.99 + $34.99(example voice plan) + $4.99(for like 200 txt a month...rough estimate).

If you require BES the unlimted data plan is $44.99.

I hope this helps somewhat.....
I was just speaking with a Cingular rep who told me the $29.99 BIS plan doesn't include any internet access, it's only to get BIS email. He also said the unlimited plan doesn't include any sms/mms.

I plan on getting a 900 minute plan. I don't use a BES. I currently have 3 POP3 accounts in my BIS with Verizon, and use Desktop Manager to sync with Outlook for all PIM data.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The data plan I have with Cingular is the 39.99 unlimited plan with 1000 messages. I know a few other people on here that have that same plan as it has been discussed before on here. My bill shows it as BBRYUNL_ALL4

I did have one Cingular rep who had no idea what that plan was and tried to get me to add a message plan on there. After I told her my data plan came with messages, she seemed confused and said that they didn't have that kind of plan.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
moosehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Model: 8700c
PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 965
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well your rep is clueless then. As I stated the BIS 29.99 unlimited BB plan includes email and internet. SMS is an add on(may have changed as medic has noted...I pay 4.99 for 200).

Last edited by moosehead : 03-22-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 118
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also have the Blackberry BIS plane for unlimited internet + 1000 text msgs for 39.99. Its a new plan so you would have to ask for it specifically. Its the best plan out there for someone that uses SMS and internet a lot.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mjbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 233
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well your rep is clueless then. As I stated the BIS 29.99 unlimited BB plan includes email and internet. SMS is an add on(may have changed as medic has noted...I pay 4.99 for 200).
Clueless reps are nothing new. Hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikidtx
I also have the Blackberry BIS plane for unlimited internet + 1000 text msgs for 39.99. Its a new plan so you would have to ask for it specifically. Its the best plan out there for someone that uses SMS and internet a lot.
That sounds like a good deal. I'll make sure I ask about it.

I'm putting everything off until the 8300 is officially released. I also want to know more about HSDPA and when it will available in BB devices
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,034
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

The BBRYUNL_ALL4 is a fairly new plan.

As for the dataplan, as others have said, you need a BB dataplan for Internet and email access.
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
puckplayer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SJ, CA
Model: 8100
PIN: Ask if you like
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 129
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
The BBRYUNL_ALL4 is a fairly new plan.

As for the dataplan, as others have said, you need a BB dataplan for Internet and email access.
is your bb plan for BES or BIS? the website doesn't show it (not surprised).
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Here are the _current facts_ as I'm on Cingular.
1) I pay $29.99 for BIS unlimited internet and email.
2) Plus $4.99 for 200 text messages.
3) Then airtime.
These are the three components needed for full service usage of your BB.

Here are the links to verify pricing:
BIS Unlimited Internet Access, Unlimited Emails $29.99
Get Started | Cingular Wireless
200 Text msg $4.99
Get Started | Cingular Wireless
Airtime Plans:
Get Started | Cingular Wireless

Hope this helps,
Cheers....
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
sonic117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Queens, NYC
Model: 8300
PIN: 2404D7A1
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 93
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yea the website is not matching to the information packets I got from the Cingular store. The Unlimited plan is 44.99 without a voice plan. If you add a voice plan, the price is dropped by 5 bucks making it 39.99 with 1000 messages.

I was so set on getting the 8800 but after doing more research and seeing that the 8300 is coming out with WiFi and Camera, definately holding back now until it comes out. I love Verizon which I am on now but they just dont have the phone selection I want nowadays and GSM is something I need to get used to and switch away from CDMA
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,034
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckplayer4
is your bb plan for BES or BIS? the website doesn't show it (not surprised).

BBRYUNL_ALL4 is a BIS plan
Offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
sonic117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Queens, NYC
Model: 8300
PIN: 2404D7A1
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 93
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sorry to hi-jack the thread but does anyone have a corporate discount on their BB plan? if so, is the discount applied to the voice plan and/or data plan? just curious!
__________________
Proud owner of the BlackBerry 8300 for AT&T
Offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Texas_Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

* Yes, the $29.99 plan includes unlimited internet access

* Yes, if you have a corporate discount (i.e. 20%) you get a discount on the data plan as well
Offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbanks
I went in today and talked to someone who said I can get the MEdia Bundles for all the usage (BIS, Internet, texting). I'm kinda skeptical about that, because if you go on their website and try to buy a BB, you can only get the $45 BB data plan, then have to pay for messaging on top of that. Can anyone confirm what exactly is needed? I'm trying to figure out if it's going to cost me more a month.
As you've heard, not all plans are on the site and a lot of Cingular reps are really clueless. Off the top of my head, you have the following BB data plan choices. Pricing might be slightly off as this is all from memory:

1. BIS only $34.99
2. BIS Max (with 1000 SMS) $44.99
3. BES $45.99
4. BES Max (with 1000 SMS) $55.99
5. 4MB BES - I don't recall pricing at all but this plan is worthless
6. BB International - don't remember
7. Tethering - roughly $70

AFAIK there's no BB data plan that doesn't include email or doesn't include web. It's all or nothing. I know the first four plans have a $5 discount when added to a qualifying voice plan. Not sure about the rest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbanks
Another question, semi-related. I am going to travelling to Europe 2-3 times a year, so I asked the woman at Cingular that I spoke with about getting pre-paid Sim cards. She said after being 4-6 months into your contract, they will give you an unlock code for your phone. Is unlocking really as simple is that? Is that the best way to go about it? I'm not to knowledgeable about GSM, so pardon my newb-ness.
They certainly don't just give it to you but you can request it at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic117
I was so set on getting the 8800 but after doing more research and seeing that the 8300 is coming out with WiFi and Camera, definately holding back now until it comes out.
8320 actually. Cingular may or may not carry it. They tend to be kind of squirrely about WiFi on their devices.

Last edited by takeshi : 03-23-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Offline  
Old 04-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Traveler
* Yes, the $29.99 plan includes unlimited internet access

* Yes, if you have a corporate discount (i.e. 20%) you get a discount on the data plan as well
I think that the $29.99 plan is for new service subscribers only - I'm trying to upgrage from an existing account and when I log in to the Cingular site, the $29.99 option goes away.
Offline  
Old 04-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
akg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9700
OS: 6.0.0.344
PIN: Mont Blanc
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 439
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvehouse
I think that the $29.99 plan is for new service subscribers only - I'm trying to upgrage from an existing account and when I log in to the Cingular site, the $29.99 option goes away.
I switched from a regular phone plan to a BlackBerry plan and got the 34.99 BIS (-$5 discount for voice) and after adding the 1000 SMS it was 39.99. As far as if you can get just the 29.99 BIS w/o SMS, I don't know but I don't see why not.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]BESAdmin

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Offline  
Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
moosehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Model: 8700c
PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 965
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Does not matter if u are new or existing customer as long as u add a voice plan u can get it for 29.99.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.