AIM, MSN and ICQ clients - "unOFFICIALLY" Released!
Instructions provided by: jibi and jungleland
From your BlackBerry, go to one of the following:
AIM - www.blackberry.com/aim
MSN / Live - www.blackberry.com/livemessenger
ICQ - www.blackberry.com/icq
MSN/Live Messenger and AOL/AIM Messenger are currently available OTA (over-the-air) from the device. ICQ is available via Desktop/PC USB connection (AXLoader), in addition to OTA.
For non-TMO users (or TMO users receiving login errors) who want to use this service, please do the following:
- Download all_im_clients.zip and extract to your Desktop
- Connect your device to you PC and open Desktop Manager
- Double-click on Backup and Restore; click on Backup (optional step)
- Delete all service books from device (Options > Advanced Options > Service Book)
- Open Backup and Restore in BDM once again and click on Restore; select the all_im_clients.ipd file from your Desktop
- Re-send service books from BIS, or do an HRT update (Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > click and select Register Now)
- Re-activate handheld on BES, if required
Note: A special thanks to Boy Genius for the service books.
- These do not currently OFFICIALLY work for anyone but a handhful of users (and that small percentage is on TMO). This is due to the missing service books from your carrier. These should be available shortly, although it is currently unknown as to who will get them and what kind of exclusivity agreements are in place between RIM and the carriers.
- As mentioned in the agreement you accept prior to downloading/installing these clients, RIM does not support these clients and are available 'as is' from them (yes, they are developed by RIM).
- When functional, these clients will use up KB from your data plan (if you are not on an unlimited plan) and will not impact your text messaging plans (some IM clients do affect these SMS/text plans).
- With the workaround, AIM, MSN and ICQ clients have been confirmed as working (by myself, personally -Jibi)
- The 30 'buddy' limitation found in AIM is a limitation of AIM Mobile; RIM's client for AIM utilizes the built-in 'Mobile Device' group provided by AOL
Online User Guides (view from WAP/handheld ONLY):
COD/ALX Installation Files: Click Here
It's been posted before, but I'll post again - the clients are down. They are not working for anyone at this time. The connection errors are the same errors that everyone else are receiving.
The services were working for a bit last night (4/9) (confirmed by many) but around 10pm EST they went down.
Please do not keep cluttering up the thread with your connection error problems. Once the services are back up someone, I'm sure, will post it here. There is no current ETA as none of us would be able to know this anyway.
Good find! Thank you very much!
Trying it now. Thanks.
I have already run in to problems....After installing, I try to log in and I get "please visit www.blackberry.com/aim to activate your handheld for AOL instant messenger."
I got the same message.
great, we have waited all this time, and this is it(n) (n)
Yep, getting the same message.
ICQ is also available - www.blackberry.com/icq
I highly doubt we're supposed to know about these yet, hense why they're not working.
had someone figured out a fix for this? I know the Yahoo Messenger has a service book you can download and works around this issue very well, can someone create the same workaround here? possibly? thanks a million!
interesting...that would be great...
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)
Nice find. Just when my verichat quit working! Didn't work for me either though. Getting the same errors as others.
Can't wait for this app to start working. This is at least a good sign. =)
same message here...dang....so close!
where's msn messenger at? grrrrrr
Someone who has loaded this check in your service books...
Do you see an AIM service book there?
doesn't look like there's a service book there :-\
Nope, not there. Tried resending to see if it would show up - nothing. Tried pulling the battery (don't think that really mattered) - still nothing. Looks like we'll have to wait for the carries to roll out the service books.
i got it working! however it only shows like the first 15 buddies on your list. when u sign on to aim on a computer u see a new mobile device section there so its like the OZclient but quicker and it doesnt show s a mmobile phone next to ur screen name.....
Also i emailed myself this link and went to it from the blackberry browser
the last pic is the lil aim man that shows when u have a new message just like google talk has that bubble
attached are screen caps
I see you are on TMO...Did you add an service books, or did it work after the install? Look at your service books, open up each one, do you see any entries for AOL or AIM?
The reason I ask, I know, or at least thought that there was some service book floating around for AIM on TMO when the pearl came out..
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.