BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/)
-   -   8800 or 8100 Which to keep? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/72616-8800-8100-keep.html)

antvega 04-11-2007 12:09 PM

8800 or 8100 Which to keep?
 
I searched the forum for a topic similar to this but didn't really find anything, maybe I used poor search strings so I do apologize if this has been covered.

But my dilemma is, I have an 8800 that I purchased aftermarket (not from Cingular, so I can't easily return it) and a 8100 (white direct from T-mobile so that I can easily return it) and I don't know which to keep.

They both have very good pros and cons, but maybe I'm missing something that one of you regulars can tip me off about that would put either of these two devices in a different light.

I love the form factor of the 8100 but that seems to be its downfall as well. It might actually be too small. It's not the suretype that bothers me (I still have and LOVE my 7130c) but the keys are so close together and that rubber finish kinda makes it hard to get a good repetition going. (And why oh why did RIM remove the arrows off of the sym key? I hate moving my thumb off the keypad to change the word selection)

But with that small form factor comes the pocketability that I love so much about it. And then theres the cam and the mp3 and usual assortment of niceness that comes with owning a 8100.

And the 8800 with its larger wide display and full qwerty keypad and arguably nicer finish, bigger battery and gps. But even the mighty 8800 is not without flaws as the spacebar on this unit drives me CRAZY!!! It's softer than any other key (have tested several units this seems to be a manufacturing thing) and only works when hit dead center (any DASH users out there, you know what I'm talking about) and don't even get me started on why a $440+ device squeaks more than a rusty door.

And so I was wondering...If given a choice, which would you pick? Would you stick with small sleeker 8100 or would you go with the larger but just as sleek 8800 and why?

As some background: I use the blackberry for email its not just a cool toy to me. I get my work mail on it, but do not use BES and having a camera on my phone (blackberry) is not a problem. I also have tried the carry two devices at once thing and didn't like that. And I've also thought about just carrying both the pearl and the 8800 but that might be over kill as I would only really just use one for messaging and the other would be for voice and there are better choice out there for that, AND I'd rather have just one device for both. And to be fair both the 8100 and 8800 have come a long ways in sound and voice quality from my days with a 7290 and 8700c and g. I would say that these newer handset rival Moto's in call quality and If you've ever used a V6 Razr Maxx then you know that's pretty damn good.

OK I think I'm done. Again, I do apologize if this has been rehashed before.

snowskier79 04-11-2007 12:13 PM

Only you can define which device fits your needs the best. With that being said, I think you documented an excellent write up for your needs and pros/cons for both devices, utilize those efforts to make your most informed decision. No one else can really tell you what would work best for you outside of yourself.

Personally I am a QWERTY kind of guy, bottom line that is the biggest factor for me.

Dubdub 04-11-2007 12:16 PM

You are the ultimate decision maker. What will you do with the 8800 if you decide that you do not want it? I agree with snowskier79 on the QWERTY aspect.

antvega 04-11-2007 12:21 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I just wanted some feedback on what you guys would do if given a choice between the two. Like how you would choose the 8800 because of the qwerty. Being that I have the two in my possession at the moment maybe someone can point something out about the two that I didn't know about before and guide me to a better overall perception of the two devices.

And If I don't keep the 8800 you'll see a WTS post here in a few days.

Again thanks for the feedback.

nuopus 04-11-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antvega
I searched the forum for a topic similar to this but didn't really find anything, maybe I used poor search strings so I do apologize if this has been covered.

But my dilemma is, I have an 8800 that I purchased aftermarket (not from Cingular, so I can't easily return it) and a 8100 (white direct from T-mobile so that I can easily return it) and I don't know which to keep.

They both have very good pros and cons, but maybe I'm missing something that one of you regulars can tip me off about that would put either of these two devices in a different light.

I love the form factor of the 8100 but that seems to be its downfall as well. It might actually be too small. It's not the suretype that bothers me (I still have and LOVE my 7130c) but the keys are so close together and that rubber finish kinda makes it hard to get a good repetition going. (And why oh why did RIM remove the arrows off of the sym key? I hate moving my thumb off the keypad to change the word selection)

But with that small form factor comes the pocketability that I love so much about it. And then theres the cam and the mp3 and usual assortment of niceness that comes with owning a 8100.

And the 8800 with its larger wide display and full qwerty keypad and arguably nicer finish, bigger battery and gps. But even the mighty 8800 is not without flaws as the spacebar on this unit drives me CRAZY!!! It's softer than any other key (have tested several units this seems to be a manufacturing thing) and only works when hit dead center (any DASH users out there, you know what I'm talking about) and don't even get me started on why a $440+ device squeaks more than a rusty door.

And so I was wondering...If given a choice, which would you pick? Would you stick with small sleeker 8100 or would you go with the larger but just as sleek 8800 and why?

As some background: I use the blackberry for email its not just a cool toy to me. I get my work mail on it, but do not use BES and having a camera on my phone (blackberry) is not a problem. I also have tried the carry two devices at once thing and didn't like that. And I've also thought about just carrying both the pearl and the 8800 but that might be over kill as I would only really just use one for messaging and the other would be for voice and there are better choice out there for that, AND I'd rather have just one device for both. And to be fair both the 8100 and 8800 have come a long ways in sound and voice quality from my days with a 7290 and 8700c and g. I would say that these newer handset rival Moto's in call quality and If you've ever used a V6 Razr Maxx then you know that's pretty damn good.

OK I think I'm done. Again, I do apologize if this has been rehashed before.

Do you want a full Qwerty keyboard and a bigger size with GPS and no camera? Or do you want a smaller device with no gps and a camera? One is not better than the other ... it is up to you as far as what you need it for.

Me, im more about smaller size and camera. I could care less about GPS because I have my TomTom. So, for me, going with the 8800 is kind of a silly choice to make just because it has a higher number. Some of these people hate SureType, want the QWERTY keyboard, and don't mind not having a camera.

Nobody can make the decision for you ... and certainly don't get the 8800 just because the number is higher. That is the dumbest reason to choose a device.

xxaarraa 04-11-2007 01:06 PM

Keep both. Thats what I did.

brucejr 04-11-2007 01:11 PM

Hahaha!! That's a good one xxaarraa. You did a very good comparitive analysis for yourself antvega. But like they all said, it comes down to personal preference. Those things in a phone you need, and those you can do without. For me Qwerty and SureType isn't a bid deal. For others it is the deciding factor.

antvega 04-11-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Keep both. Thats what I did.

Oh I am tempted, But I don't want to carry two devices or swap devices mid day everyday.

If only the gf would give up the ghost on her aging 8700g. She refuses to upgrade when she has a choice of two perfectly fine new blackberry models to choose from. Go figure...

ezrunner 04-11-2007 01:27 PM

I second the Keep both never know when you will need a back-up

snowskier79 04-11-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner
I second the Keep both never know when you will need a back-up

I have a backup to my 8700c, the work-horse 7290 just in case anything should happen!

antvega 04-11-2007 01:36 PM

I have a 7130c that I hold on to just in case for that reason. I guess the pearl would be the logical upgrade/backup(?) solution, but then that would mean that I would have 3 blackberry's to choose from! Not to mention my old Verizon 7250 I keep around as my alarm...:oops:

snowskier79 04-11-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antvega
I have a 7130c that I hold on to just in case for that reason. I guess the pearl would be the logical upgrade/backup(?) solution, but then that would mean that I would have 3 blackberry's to choose from! Not to mention my old Verizon 7250 I keep around as my alarm...:oops:

It doesn't hurt to have alternative plans or triple backup protection.

That last phrase sounds like one of those credit card commercials!

ezrunner 04-11-2007 01:40 PM

I have an extra 8700, 7290 and 7230 I love them all I want a Pearl and hopefully maybe the 83xx

snowskier79 04-11-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner
I have an extra 8700, 7290 and 7230 I love them all I want a Pearl and hopefully maybe the 83xx

I am looking into the 83xx as my next device as well. I would like a Pearl for the weekend but we shall see.

antvega 04-11-2007 01:46 PM

Do you guys ever swap out phones on a regular basis? I just imagine it being a pain to do that everyday and reset the pin on my BIS account. Making sure everyone has 3 pins associated with me. It was bad enough when I had two phone numbers, people would complain.

I dunno..I think I'll have my answer this weekend. The more I use the 8800 keyboard the more I don't like it. Anyone else using a 8800 and not like the keyboard, specifically the spacebar?

UserInVa 04-11-2007 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner
I have an extra 8700, 7290 and 7230 I love them all I want a Pearl and hopefully maybe the 83xx

What do you do with all of them? Do you use them all? What happens if they all go off at the same time... OMG

ezrunner 04-11-2007 01:50 PM

they are my backups should on or the other become non-functioning! I only have the 7230 for sentimental reasons 7290 was my favorite

brucejr 04-11-2007 01:55 PM

I open up my drawer every now and again to look at my old 7105t.....she had me at hello!!

ezrunner and snowskier79 are now geniuses congrats!!


UserInVa 04-11-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner
they are my backups should on or the other become non-functioning! I only have the 7230 for sentimental reasons 7290 was my favorite

Oh, Thank God...I was visualizing 'multi-tasking' at a new level...

UserInVa 04-11-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner
they are my backups should on or the other become non-functioning! I only have the 7230 for sentimental reasons 7290 was my favorite


Hey! Yea, you just made "BlackBerry Genius" !! Pretty 8-) !


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.