BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cingular/ATT Wireless - No more 1 year contract

Please Login to Remove!

So I was told at a Cingular/ATT Wireless store that they no longer offer a 1 year contract on anything. The minimum is 2 years. Is this right.... or is this just another Cingular/ATT Wireless pathetic attempt at lying to the customer.

I am anxious to know
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
jasonfont426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas, TX | Panama City, Panama
Model: 7130g
PIN: 204C6D97
Carrier: US: AT&T | Panama: Cable & Wireless
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
So I was told at a Cingular/ATT Wireless store that they no longer offer a 1 year contract on anything. The minimum is 2 years. Is this right.... or is this just another Cingular/ATT Wireless pathetic attempt at lying to the customer.

I am anxious to know
The information you were given is correct. AT&T no longer offers one-year contracts for wireless service.

Jason
__________________
My BlackBerry Evolution: 7290>8700g>7130g
PIN: 204C6D97
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfont426 View Post
The information you were given is correct. AT&T no longer offers one-year contracts for wireless service.

Jason
Hah...that's wonderful...just wonderful. Well they automatically lost my business. Why would someone come in with their own equipment, just to be locked into a 2 year contract? you might as well take one of the contract discount deals on devices they sell in the store. oh wait...now it's alllll making sense. they are doing this on purpose so people won't buy crap off ebay or borrow their friends device. they want you to buy theirs, get locked in, get onto their interface, etc. just a load of crap
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

They don't have a standard interface. You're thinking of Verizon.
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
They don't have a standard interface. You're thinking of Verizon.

hah, yea, my bad
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 326
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have a FAN account and get routed to their business dept when I call. I bought a treo previously NOT from AT&T and signed on to the 450min per month for $40 and I opted for no contract since its my own equipment. So even though I've only been with them for a couple of months, I'm on a month to month basis and can take my number to another carrier at anytime without an ETF.
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 326
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have a FAN account and get routed to their business dept when I call. I bought a treo previously NOT from AT&T and signed on to the 450min per month for $40 and I opted for no contract since its my own equipment. So even though I've only been with them for a couple of months, I'm on a month to month basis and can take my number to another carrier at anytime without an ETF.
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MN
Model: 8320
PIN: 244021B4
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
Hah...that's wonderful...just wonderful. Well they automatically lost my business. Why would someone come in with their own equipment, just to be locked into a 2 year contract? you might as well take one of the contract discount deals on devices they sell in the store. oh wait...now it's alllll making sense. they are doing this on purpose so people won't buy crap off ebay or borrow their friends device. they want you to buy theirs, get locked in, get onto their interface, etc. just a load of crap

I know with verizon, we had a phone that wasn't being used that we wanted to give to my grandpa. It was obviously not new. Well when they added it to the family share plan, it set it so that phone was locked in for 2 years. I personally think that is garbage. We might as well have gotten one of the free phones at least and gotten something nicer.
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassinator View Post
I know with verizon, we had a phone that wasn't being used that we wanted to give to my grandpa. It was obviously not new. Well when they added it to the family share plan, it set it so that phone was locked in for 2 years. I personally think that is garbage. We might as well have gotten one of the free phones at least and gotten something nicer.


Verizon AND T-Mobile offer 1 or 2 year contracts.
Cingular/ATT DOES NOT
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.546
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,344
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Nextel is also doing 2 years.

Now that you can port your number this is their way of making you stay.
__________________
Exchange 2007/BES 5.0.2 MR2
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MN
Model: 8320
PIN: 244021B4
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I totally understand if you are buying the phones from them cause I am assuming that they don't make that much money of those when you sign up for a new contract. However, when you bring an old phone into it, they shouldn't be able to to force you into a 2 year contract with it. Just seems like poor customer service. But since all of them are doing it I guess it doesn't really make a difference.
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
beninark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arkansas
Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 157
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

well I got a 1 year contract with cingular last december and was planning on re-upping to get another year and another phone for the discount but at this rate I'll buy the phone with out the contract through some other source, this is crazy. There is no way I am signing my life away to a carrier.
Offline  
Old 10-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default AT&T changes ETF policy

Here is what I found, does anyone have any clue of this information found at AT&T changes ETF policy - FierceWireless - Wireless Industry, Wireless Technology News, Wireless Security News

AT&T seems to be following Verizon Wireless' lead: Beginning in November, the carrier said it will reduce the early termination fees for customers who exit their phone contracts before those contracts run out. Just like Verizon Wireless subscribers, AT&T subs will pay an ETF that is based upon the amount of time that has passed since the contract went into effect. Also, existing subscribers who change their plans will not have to extend their agreement or sign up for a new one.

AT&T is also offering a new rate for mobile phone calls to Mexico landlines: 5 cents a minute for customers who sign up for AT&T World Connect Mexico between October 15 and January 15, 2008. Wireless to wireless calls to Mexico will cost 21 cents per minute.

For more on AT&T's new calling plan:
- read this release about calling Mexico
Offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninark View Post
well I got a 1 year contract with cingular last december and was planning on re-upping to get another year and another phone for the discount but at this rate I'll buy the phone with out the contract through some other source, this is crazy. There is no way I am signing my life away to a carrier.
I WORK for AT&T... and for one, let me asure you that NO ONE should force you into a 2 year contract if you bring your own equipment. But I understand why some Reps would lie and tell you you have to... they won't get paid on your new activation when you don't sign a contract. And as for replacing equipment, just take your Simcard and put it in ANY AT&T or Unlicked GSM Phone, you don't need to involve AT&T in that unlike Verizon who renews your contract even when your phone broke and you want to activate another phone you own.
Offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.xxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10,149
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can still be activated on a 1 year contract through OPUS in AT&T stores if you bring your own equipment. Also the 1 year pricing does still exist, just it isnt offered.
Offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern California
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.509
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 317
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Content deleted upon realizing the original post is 18 months old.

Last edited by rsnadel : 12-07-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassinator View Post
I totally understand if you are buying the phones from them cause I am assuming that they don't make that much money of those when you sign up for a new contract. However, when you bring an old phone into it, they shouldn't be able to to force you into a 2 year contract with it. Just seems like poor customer service. But since all of them are doing it I guess it doesn't really make a difference.
No one is forcing you to do anything. Vote with your head and your wallet. If you don't like the deal, go elsewhere. If you really want NO contract, there's always Cricket, Virgin, or other MVNO providers and any of the other numbers of prepaids...
Offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carynel View Post
I WORK for AT&T... and for one, let me asure you that NO ONE should force you into a 2 year contract if you bring your own equipment. But I understand why some Reps would lie and tell you you have to... they won't get paid on your new activation when you don't sign a contract. And as for replacing equipment, just take your Simcard and put it in ANY AT&T or Unlicked GSM Phone, you don't need to involve AT&T in that unlike Verizon who renews your contract even when your phone broke and you want to activate another phone you own.
... but this will only work if your phone is unlicked. Once it's been licked, you can no longer take advantage of this offer...
Offline  
Old 12-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

AT&T offers 24, 12, and 0 month commitments on new activations. For upgrades, it's only 24 months now, whether you go into a corporate store or another channel like national retail. And aside from the iPhone, you can always buy your equipment at full price and not sign a contract at all.
Offline  
Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: 10.010219
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 8,215
Post Thanks: 40
Thanked 570 Times in 565 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
... but this will only work if your phone is unlicked. Once it's been licked, you can no longer take advantage of this offer...

So whats the issue with licking your Blackberry? I saw a post on Track Ball cleaning and someone just licks the trackball to save on Alcohol

Besides it tastes like Chicken
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 BES
Z10 on BES
9700 BIS
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.