I have solved the problem on my device - and without the amateur "Hard Reset" approach. I wanted to understand what caused the problem in the first place, and find a resolution that left my confidence level in the device intact. I am fed up with the ever present attitude of Verizon and RIM tech support that they will not talk to you unless you do a hard reset on the device first. I've even been told by members of both support teams that because I have added third-party applications to the device, they can't help me. What do they think these devices are designed for anyway. No one knows how to do actual debugging and troubleshooting anymore. They also forget that business people and IT professionals are using these devices for real work. By insisting on a hard reset, they treat you as if the most important thing you use your device for is to instant message your friends - and losing the entire contents of your device while you are on the road is no big deal.
Anyway - I digress - here is a recap of the problem - now solved:
Handheld: 184.108.40.206 - Platform 220.127.116.11 - I replaced the OS image provided on the device when I bought it with the download available from Verizon (www.smithmicro.com)
. Even though the version numbers are the same, the image is different. It adds the components used by third party vendors like DynoPlex (eOffice) to access messaging databases, etc. It also adds the Password Keeper application. This was a very unprofessional cover-up by RIM since they made a mistake on the device images as delivered and did not change the version number for the correction. They make most customers that even care about the missing modules think that it was something they did wrong instead of RIMs error.
1) "Communication Error: The data was not recognized by the handheld"
This error showed up when attempting a backup, restore, or "Advanced" view.
One or more of the databases or registry entries becomes corrupted. In my case - the corruption appears to have been caused by deleting an application - and then adding a new version of the same application. I believe that it is the delete that actually caused the problem.
2) "Uncaught Exception java.lang.outofmemory error"
This error showed up when doing a soft reset - which took 45 minutes each time.
1) I updated the desktop software to the latest "SP1" version which can be downloaded from https:
This alone did not correct the problem. However this step may be necessary so that the next solution step actually corrected the corrupted databases and entries. I believe that the old desktop manager software actually caused the problem but this did not happen until you invoked that part of the programming by doing an application delete. The new version correctly updates the necessary files under these circumstances.
If you are following this path exactly - be aware that after installing the new Desktop Manager software and invoking the "Application Loader" - the DynoPlex software already loaded on the handheld will not be recognized, and it will state that these will be deleted. DO NOT say yes - exit from the Desktop Manager and do the DynoPlex install at this time. After the install, the Desktop Manager will say that it has Updates for the DynoPlex applications on the handheld instead of trying to delete them.
2) I chose to update my DynoPlex eOffice Professional software. I wanted to update the software anyway, and I thought that by excercising this part of the Desktop Manager code, that it would rebuild or correctly update the necessary files. Now, DynoPlex does their installs a little differently, so I don't know if the mechanism invoked by their install was critical in the solution or not. My guess is that any re-install with the new Desktop Software would accomplish the same thing, but I do not know this for sure. I can not re-create the problem with the new Desktop Software in place so I have not tested my theory any further.
The DynoPlex update forces a soft reset on the device. This now takes only 10 minutes in my case - but I have 17 applications loaded on top of the original image.
New Desktop Manager also maps many of the Outlook fields differently - actually corrects previous errors so proved to be a good thing for me.
Don't forget to do a full backup as the last step. I think it is a good idea to do a full backup every day in my case in the event that I run into a situation which actually requires a "Hard Reset". But until that day comes, I would rather solve problems with a little more thought - I can still trust my device since I understand the problem and feel confident in the solution / upgraded software.