BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
theBorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100
Posts: 614
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Suretype Lowdown

Please Login to Remove!

I'm given to understand that the software behind the suretype keyboard on the Pearl has been updated to be more intelligent than the 71xx's.

The Suretype on my 7100 is moderately maddening. It's the one aspect about the device that I'm really dissatisfied with. Words get confused all the time - see/are, wife/wide (!), hey/get, day/fat... It seems there's no consideration of context at all. Spelling unusual words is cumbersome. The more words it learns, the less accurate it becomes.

It's a soluble problem. For example Motorola's predictive text software does a commendable job - context sensitivity and lists more possible combinations.

For users who have gone from the old Suretype to the new, is it really much better? How so?
__________________
--------------
8300 Curve: viigo, gmail, google maps, way too many emails/day
Offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
zachberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Addison TX
Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 91
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBorg View Post
I'm given to understand that the software behind the suretype keyboard on the Pearl has been updated to be more intelligent than the 71xx's.

The Suretype on my 7100 is moderately maddening. It's the one aspect about the device that I'm really dissatisfied with. Words get confused all the time - see/are, wife/wide (!), hey/get, day/fat... It seems there's no consideration of context at all. Spelling unusual words is cumbersome. The more words it learns, the less accurate it becomes.

It's a soluble problem. For example Motorola's predictive text software does a commendable job - context sensitivity and lists more possible combinations.

For users who have gone from the old Suretype to the new, is it really much better? How so?
what the duck see you talking about?

Ha! yeah its much improved on the pearl's in my experiance.....
__________________
Disclaimer: I am in sales
Offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Suncom
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My pearl has learned that I dont mean "duck" or "shut." In fact, ive typed those two words so often that duck and shut are never the first to pop anymore.

Does that make me a bad person?
Offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronc View Post
My pearl has learned that I dont mean "duck" or "shut." In fact, ive typed those two words so often that duck and shut are never the first to pop anymore.

Does that make me a bad person?
Yes. You are a bad person. Clean up your act or you will be forced to use a Treo for 36-48 months.
Offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Central Massachusetts
Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I aclimated to suretype on the 7100i and found it to be servicable, but frustrating at times. I will support the claim that it is much improved on the Pearl. I almost never have to retype.
__________________
Cheers!
JDP
7520>>7100i>>8703e>>8100>>8130>>9530
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
King-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greenville SC
Model: 8100
PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom
Posts: 207
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yeah. Suretype is great on the pearl. My only gripe is that if your spelling a long word, and you accidently strike the wrong letter, the entire word changes.
__________________
Thou shall play, or get played.
Nothin to Prove
Your mom>iPhone
Offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
King-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greenville SC
Model: 8100
PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom
Posts: 207
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronc View Post
My pearl has learned that I dont mean "duck" or "shut." In fact, ive typed those two words so often that duck and shut are never the first to pop anymore.

Does that make me a bad person?
Isnt blackberry is business phone. Your not suppose to cuss in an email. Thats not professional at all!!!!

Go get a sidekick3......sinner
__________________
Thou shall play, or get played.
Nothin to Prove
Your mom>iPhone
Offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Pizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,385
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

To the OP...The Pearl is the one and only SureType BB I've used, and as a staunch Qwerty supporter, I give it my full endorsement. If I didn't always have to have the new, hot thing, I would've remained very satisfied with the Pearl and it's ability to type what I wanted quickly.
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Suncom
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-B View Post
Isnt blackberry is business phone. Your not suppose to cuss in an email. Thats not professional at all!!!!

Go get a sidekick3......sinner
But....but.....I just left sidekick3 hell......

Why didnt I just say shoot and fudge?!?! WHY?!?!?!?!?!
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBorg View Post
I'm given to understand that the software behind the suretype keyboard on the Pearl has been updated to be more intelligent than the 71xx's.

The Suretype on my 7100 is moderately maddening. It's the one aspect about the device that I'm really dissatisfied with. Words get confused all the time - see/are, wife/wide (!), hey/get, day/fat... It seems there's no consideration of context at all. Spelling unusual words is cumbersome. The more words it learns, the less accurate it becomes.

It's a soluble problem. For example Motorola's predictive text software does a commendable job - context sensitivity and lists more possible combinations.

For users who have gone from the old Suretype to the new, is it really much better? How so?

honestly, i think SureType and any other variation sucks. unless they can "tap" into your brain, no massive amounts of programming software can predict what you want to say. even based on reading previous words in the sentence, multiple words using the same keys could be an input. you will always find yourself having to re-type or "re-teach" the software.

the QWERTY is easy and quick and it works really well. it allows you to instantly start typing fast and not have to worry about learning the new keypad style. QWERTY is the way to go for me
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The Pearl is my first SureType experience and I have to say that after more than 6 months of use....I HATE it! So much so that I'm now going back to the 8700g until TMO gets their version of the Curve!

Yes my Pearl has 'learned' some words, but I would have thought after 6 months it would have learned way MORE than it has. It drives me up the wall and slows me down.

Of course the known microphone issue doesn't help either.

Oh well....can't wait to get back to the 8700g!
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For me, suretype has become natural. I can type just as fast with suretype as I can on a qwerty. How is it different? The letter layout is the same, its just a matter of getting used to it. The main advantage for me, is that I can type with one hand fast without looking at the keyboard at all. This makes it easy for me to text in the car. I just keep my hand with blackberry on my console, my other hand on the wheel and eyes on the road and write an email.
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
BBPearlGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Berkeley
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I disabled my SureType on my Pearl because it's so annoying. It takes waaaay too long! I can type faster than the SureType can think, so it's a hinderance for me. I tried it out for a while, but I didn't see the benefit.
__________________
Perez Hilton is my homie
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The Pearl is my first SureType experience and I have to say that after more than 6 months of use....I HATE it! So much so that I'm now going back to the 8700g until TMO gets their version of the Curve!

Yes my Pearl has 'learned' some words, but I would have thought after 6 months it would have learned way MORE than it has. It drives me up the wall and slows me down.

Of course the known microphone issue doesn't help either.

Oh well....can't wait to get back to the 8700g!
what's the known microphone issue?
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 834
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
For me, suretype has become natural. I can type just as fast with suretype as I can on a qwerty. How is it different? The letter layout is the same, its just a matter of getting used to it. The main advantage for me, is that I can type with one hand fast without looking at the keyboard at all. This makes it easy for me to text in the car. I just keep my hand with blackberry on my console, my other hand on the wheel and eyes on the road and write an email.
you should be careful when texting in the car. it's really dangerous.
the state of new jersey just recently made it a PRIMARY offense to either talk on a phone without a earpiece/bluetooth/speakerphone, OR text/email while driving
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.