BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/)
-   -   Recovering deleted SMS Messages (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/82387-recovering-deleted-sms-messages.html)

NoviceBB 06-20-2007 07:33 PM

Recovering deleted SMS Messages
 
Is there any way to recover deleted SMS/text messages off a BlackBerry? Does it matter which model you have? Does the BlackBerry company server archive SMS/text messages? What are the recovery/archive options?

penguin3107 06-20-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoviceBB (Post 575602)
Is there any way to recover deleted SMS/text messages off a BlackBerry? Does it matter which model you have? Does the BlackBerry company server archive SMS/text messages? What are the recovery/archive options?

There's no way for you to recover them unless you have a recent backup of you BlackBerry which included the messages in the backup.

Doesn't matter which model you have.

BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.1.x can log all SMS messgaes to/from the device. You'd need to consult your IT department to see if yours is set to log the messages, and how willing they would be to dig through the logs and provide you with your messages.
There's no way they can be put back on the device.

The above is the long way of saying you're probably out of luck and your messages are gone without hope of recovery.

zero7404 06-20-2007 09:13 PM

Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

i think with the proper software u might be able to. When you delete a message, it may still be stored somewhere in the mem or a legacy file or something. i'm not 100% on this with bb's... i know when i was into flexing/flashing my v3x i was seeing sms's that i had deleted in the log

MitchBBsecurity 09-16-2007 01:22 PM

Now you can recover the deleted messages
 
Go to this site: Netcleanse - Messaging and Desktop Security: Retain For BlackBerry

They have software for the BES that will let you do this.

nuopus 09-16-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakman74 (Post 575680)
Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

i think with the proper software u might be able to. When you delete a message, it may still be stored somewhere in the mem or a legacy file or something. i'm not 100% on this with bb's... i know when i was into flexing/flashing my v3x i was seeing sms's that i had deleted in the log

That only works with magnetic media because of the block and cluster system. On a hard drive, when you delete a file it technically isn't really deleted. It is marked as deleted, and the "blocks" previously occupied by it are taken up by new files created. So it is possible to recover a deleted file on a hard drive because technically, it is still there. Im not talking about the Recycle bin BTW ... I don't consider that deleting a file, more moving it to a temporary place before it is deleted.

In lots of other storage forms, it does not work the same way, and the portions of the file are actually deleted. Now, if the BB moved the messages to a temporary place before it is deleted, like the Recycle Bin in Windows, then I can see it as being possible. But it does not.

If you were using BES where the messages go through the server, there may be a way to recover it on the server. But im not sure about that one.

timrcanada 05-15-2008 02:25 AM

Recovering deleted SMS Messages - workaround
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoviceBB (Post 575602)
Is there any way to recover deleted SMS/text messages off a BlackBerry? Does it matter which model you have? Does the BlackBerry company server archive SMS/text messages? What are the recovery/archive options?

Actually there is a workaround to this but you will have to spend time working on each message one by one...

Select the Search icon on your BB and do a search of your deleted messages if you can remember anything in the title or content of the message and if found, copy the message and forward it to another address ie your own hotmail addy etc.

You cannot forward deleted messages directly from the search...
You have to open the message, copy the content, then switch to create a new email message, paste the content, enter your forwarding email address in the to: field, type a subject and then you can send... phew!

Good Luck,
;-)

marine103 05-20-2008 04:22 PM

The company Dexrex LLC @ www.dexrex.com has free software that you download to your blackberry and it logs it with their servers and every text incoming or out going is stored on their servers. I think it comes out this week. I log all my IMs with them

DexrexLLC 05-27-2008 12:13 PM

Hi all,
Just wanted to say that we do have SMS logging for blackberrys. We are offering it as a free service. However, currently our software only works with OS version 4.2.1 and up. We are working to expand the service to all blackberry OSs. I would like to get some feedback on how the service works for everybody as well as what new features the blackberry community would like to see in the realm of SMS, IM messaging and PIN messaging. I look forward to getting everyones feedback.
Thanks
Barrett

JSanders 05-27-2008 12:20 PM

Dexrexllc, thanks for the update, let's keep posts on this in the Aftermarket Software Section on this forum.

If you would, please make an initial post there so that users can followup and ask questions should they have any.

Thanks!

authentic8 05-29-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexrexLLC (Post 945511)
Hi all,
Just wanted to say that we do have SMS logging for blackberrys. We are offering it as a free service. However, currently our software only works with OS version 4.2.1 and up. We are working to expand the service to all blackberry OSs. I would like to get some feedback on how the service works for everybody as well as what new features the blackberry community would like to see in the realm of SMS, IM messaging and PIN messaging. I look forward to getting everyones feedback.
Thanks
Barrett

2 Questions:

To Dexrex: I am unclear, does this software log PINs and Blackberry Messenger messages too or is this a feature you are working on?

To the forum: Are Blackberry Messenger messages actually PINS or SMSs or something different altogether?

JSanders 05-29-2008 09:47 AM

BBMessenger messages are acutally PIN messages threaded to appear as a convo in an instant message application

DexrexLLC 06-03-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by authentic8 (Post 948436)
2 Questions:

To Dexrex: I am unclear, does this software log PINs and Blackberry Messenger messages too or is this a feature you are working on?

To the forum: Are Blackberry Messenger messages actually PINS or SMSs or something different altogether?

Hey Everyone,
Sorry about the delay in answering your questions I have been traveling all around lately. The answers to your questions:

1) Currently, our software only logs SMS messages. It doesn't log any PIN/BlackBerry messenger chats. This is because the PIN conversations are encrypted and I don't have the encryption yet....but we are working with RIM to be able to log BlackBerry Messenger.

2) BlackBerry Messenger is conversed over the encrypted PIN network.

Also I would love to have feedback on our service and also have some real avid texters try our service and help us figure out any problems if we have any...I don't have access to a multi-million $ test lab but the feedback we have been getting is great!
Thanks
Barrett

Gamar 07-05-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexrexLLC (Post 954684)
Hey Everyone,
Sorry about the delay in answering your questions I have been traveling all around lately. The answers to your questions:

1) Currently, our software only logs SMS messages. It doesn't log any PIN/BlackBerry messenger chats. This is because the PIN conversations are encrypted and I don't have the encryption yet....but we are working with RIM to be able to log BlackBerry Messenger.

2) BlackBerry Messenger is conversed over the encrypted PIN network.

Also I would love to have feedback on our service and also have some real avid texters try our service and help us figure out any problems if we have any...I don't have access to a multi-million $ test lab but the feedback we have been getting is great!
Thanks
Barrett

omg omg u just might help me I've got the biggest problem ever. A few days ago I received a message from a random number saying hey...i automatically deleted the message, my fiance then asked me to show me the message and when i told him tht i deleted it he threw a fit and though i cheated on him ad called off the engagement at least untill i can prove that message,,,, ive got blackberry curve i dont have any pins or anything, ive tried every lat resort to get back the message but no luck. please please help me.

John Clark 07-05-2008 05:14 PM

Gamar, I think your problems are worse than finding one old sms. If your engagement hangs on one deleted sms then something is wrong.

Welcome to BBF and good luck!

Gamar 07-06-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1001883)
Gamar, I think your problems are worse than finding one old sms. If your engagement hangs on one deleted sms then something is wrong.

Welcome to BBF and good luck!

it is extremely complicated, please if u have any idea of how to recover it get back to me.

Gamar 07-06-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexrexLLC (Post 945511)
Hi all,
Just wanted to say that we do have SMS logging for blackberrys. We are offering it as a free service. However, currently our software only works with OS version 4.2.1 and up. We are working to expand the service to all blackberry OSs. I would like to get some feedback on how the service works for everybody as well as what new features the blackberry community would like to see in the realm of SMS, IM messaging and PIN messaging. I look forward to getting everyones feedback.
Thanks
Barrett

dextrex can you please get in touch with me regarding the deleted messages on bb asap. please!!

irockash 07-07-2008 03:59 AM

Gamar, I don't know if Voda does this, but with AT&T you have access to all your call and data history on the website where you can manage your account. It doesn't have the message itself, but at least it'll have the number it came from.

Is there anyway to change the behavior of the BB when it comes to deleting messages? I like to keep a clean SMS inbox, but from time to time need to go back to a message. I've gotten in the habit to save messages I'll probably need.

blackberrycallie 11-11-2008 11:01 PM

Need a blackberry guru's advice...
 
I'm a bit confused. I am not the most tech-savvy person on the block, but I have been reading about the recovery of deleted SMS text messages via SIM card readers (USB cord sends information from device to computer, recovers deleted data, etc).

If a blackberry uses a SIM card, can this software work-- Or does blackberry use completely different technology than standard cellphones to where it would not? To add to this, if SMS texts ARE in fact recoverable by these so-called SIM card readers, does recovery extend to MMS, Pins, Emails, and BB IM conversations as well?

Thank you in advance!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.