BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #41 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Wishdemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 324
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

I think the two biggest benefits of the wifi is using it instead of your minutes and loading non-mobile webpages faster...
__________________
- Take It Easy
- Nacho Squeeze!
Offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
wangta01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 418
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishdemon View Post
I think the two biggest benefits of the wifi is using it instead of your minutes and loading non-mobile webpages faster...
Right - but if you have unlmited data package, then thats a mute point. And viewing non-mobile webpages just doesn't make sense to me - its so cluttered and you end up scrolling through 900 links.
Offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
davcho64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 29
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
Ugg - you guys are killing me. Was about to pull the trigger on a new curve...but now think I should wait. Small form factor BB + Camera + GPS is my killer combo.

I'm still not sure what the real hoopla about WiFi BB is about. Besides being able to instant message faster (which isn't a huge problem via EDGE anyway), what do you really get? I don't browse internet pages on my BB b/c its so freakin annoying. The webpages i do check out are optimized for bb browsing (mostly text), so EDGE works fine. Am I missing something?
From what I've been researching and reading from other posts, the WiFi will improve call service too. The UMA will allow people to take advantage of Public WiFi networks to make phone calls. So if you have poor service in certain areas, but have good WiFi coverage (ie your house or employer's building), phone reception will be handed off to the WiFi rather than getting 1 or 2 bars of cellular reception. However, I am still a BB noob, but this is what I've learned so far, and this is my main reason to buy a Blackberry with WiFi.
Offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon
Posts: 27
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
I'm still not sure what the real hoopla about WiFi BB is about. Besides being able to instant message faster (which isn't a huge problem via EDGE anyway), what do you really get? I don't browse internet pages on my BB b/c its so freakin annoying. The webpages i do check out are optimized for bb browsing (mostly text), so EDGE works fine. Am I missing something?
No your not. However, I would rather have HSDPA than Wifi for tethering purposes.
Offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #45 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
RedSoxFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 134
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcho64 View Post
From what I've been researching and reading from other posts, the WiFi will improve call service too. The UMA will allow people to take advantage of Public WiFi networks to make phone calls. So if you have poor service in certain areas, but have good WiFi coverage (ie your house or employer's building), phone reception will be handed off to the WiFi rather than getting 1 or 2 bars of cellular reception. However, I am still a BB noob, but this is what I've learned so far, and this is my main reason to buy a Blackberry with WiFi.
Put WiFi on the devices and more people are less likely to by unlimited data packages. Remember folks, Verizon is a business and they are in the business to make money.
Offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #46 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Wishdemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 324
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yeah, but you'll most likely still need a data plan (I think Jibi explained it well on another thread in the Rumor Mill subforum) because of some programs that use that (I think its called) gateway
__________________
- Take It Easy
- Nacho Squeeze!
Offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #47 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon
Posts: 27
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For me. I need to pay for BES anyway, so HSDPA is more valuable. Although, Philly is supposedly live with City Wide wifi.
Offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #48 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
NCBuckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 853
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anybody know what the camera is? The same as the 8300?
Offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #49 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
mike_187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US and A
Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 794
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBuckeye View Post
Anybody know what the camera is? The same as the 8300?
yes
__________________
-MC-
Offline  
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
coldconfession13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: san antonio,tx
Model: 9550
OS: 5.0.0.230
PIN: 30fd8208
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 904
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

out on vodaphone I wasn't lying. Google maps works with it.
Offline  
Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
wangta01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 418
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, very nice indeed! Now the question is when will this arrive over here?
Offline  
Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #52 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
wangta01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 418
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Am I the only one anxiously waiting on this sucker? I feel like no one really cares about the 8310 - I've been checking blogs and forums every couple days hoping for some light on when it will be released stateside! Do people not think its a revolutionary change from the 8300? For me, the 8310 is my 8800 in a smaller form factor. I love my 8800...but you know..heh
Offline  
Old 08-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #53 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BryanHarig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.94
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 1,112
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I care. But the qwerty version is taking forever to surface. Any word on a release on vodaphone UK? They ave the software for the 8310 available to download...
Offline  
Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #54 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
wangta01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 418
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
I care. But the qwerty version is taking forever to surface. Any word on a release on vodaphone UK? They ave the software for the 8310 available to download...
This is news to me - thanks for sharing. Seems like they might be gettig ready to release this, eh? How much will it cost without a contract though? 300 GBP!?
Offline  
Old 08-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #55 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.190
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
Am I the only one anxiously waiting on this sucker? I feel like no one really cares about the 8310 - I've been checking blogs and forums every couple days hoping for some light on when it will be released stateside! Do people not think its a revolutionary change from the 8300? For me, the 8310 is my 8800 in a smaller form factor. I love my 8800...but you know..heh
i can't wait for this either
Offline  
Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #56 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BryanHarig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.94
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 1,112
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
This is news to me - thanks for sharing. Seems like they might be gettig ready to release this, eh? How much will it cost without a contract though? 300 GBP!?
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...2-2-146-a.html

I dont know what it will be SIM free, but Id be willing to do 300 pounds!
Offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #57 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
wangta01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 418
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
I dont know what it will be SIM free, but Id be willing to do 300 pounds!
...*gulp*....really!? You are...determined
Offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #58 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BryanHarig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.94
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 1,112
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The 8300 was $500+ without a contract. 300 pounds is $650 or so right?

Blackberry Curve 8310 (unlocked) recomended accessories

Blackberry Curve 8310 :: Blackberry :: Cell Phones Unlocked from Motorola, Nokia & Sony Ericsson CTINYC.com

Id rather pay less, but I want it now! And since I will be selling my 8300 I will only be paying the difference.
Offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #59 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jddphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Levallois-Perret FRANCE
Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR
Posts: 274
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

300 quid is horrendous. I know there's good tech in these phones and they aren't cheap, but with the amount of money the phone cos make off me in a year I refuse to pay full whack.
__________________
MUST - the independent Manchester United supporters' trust - www.joinMUST.org
Offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #60 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
wangta01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 418
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
The 8300 was $500+ without a contract. 300 pounds is $650 or so right?

Blackberry Curve 8310 (unlocked) recomended accessories

Blackberry Curve 8310 :: Blackberry :: Cell Phones Unlocked from Motorola, Nokia & Sony Ericsson CTINYC.com

Id rather pay less, but I want it now! And since I will be selling my 8300 I will only be paying the difference.

Bryan - get your money ready and fly your ass over to the UK. 8310 being released on Vodophone on Sept 3rd!

Vodafone BlackBerry 8310 coming to UK September 3rd | CrackBerry.com
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

OEM IBM Wheelwriter 5 Part: Paper Release Lever & Bellcrank
$5.99
OEM  IBM  Wheelwriter 5 Part:  Paper Release Lever & Bellcrank pictureOEM BULB with Housing for IBM 31P9910 Projector with 180 Day Warranty
$130.16
OEM BULB with Housing for IBM 31P9910 Projector with 180 Day Warranty pictureOEM BULB with Housing for IBM SP-LAMP-006 Projector with 180 Day Warranty
$130.16
OEM BULB with Housing for IBM SP-LAMP-006 Projector with 180 Day Warranty pictureOEM RIBBON for IBM 463 BLACK # 1 299 463
$5.0
OEM RIBBON for IBM 463  BLACK # 1 299 463 pictureIBM Surepos 500 4840 Pos OEM LCD Monitor Cable 3FT Cord TSCC0034904 14R1985
$6.37
IBM Surepos 500 4840 Pos OEM LCD Monitor Cable 3FT Cord TSCC0034904 14R1985 picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.