BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 7100g
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Creating Ringtones

Please Login to Remove!

I did a search and didn't find anything particularly useful on this, so forgive me if it's been covered before.

Is there any documentation on how to create ringtones for Blackberry? I see all these sites with tones and I want to give it a try since I like fooling around with audio files anyway. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started learning this?

Thanks,
Jeff
Offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Veteran User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hotwiring another Cessna
Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo
Posts: 3,492
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'll ignore that statement and please ask you to search again. Start with the 7100 forum. This has been covered probably hundreds, if not more, times before.
Offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,798
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

Oh my. Damn search feature can't find a damn thing. Not even this thread -
ADPCM Ringtones [True Audio Ringtones for 7100 handhelds] - NOT FOR 7100i or this one - Download Ringtones!

I hate when that happens...

bfrye - can you fix that search button to work (and be visible)
Offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 7100g
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Okay, I tried "create ringtones" "ringtone creation" "7100 ringtone create" and didn't get any of those threads. Am I doing something wrong? I did it on the advanced search and also did the quick find. :(
Offline  
Old 05-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
towski394's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas
Model: 7100t
Posts: 229
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

NJ Blackberry included two links in his reply, I'd reccomend trying those two.

One of them is actually stickied at the top of the 7100t discussion forum.

Don't feel to bad, everybody here was a newby once. The frequent posters simply grow weary of answering all the same questions over and over and over.

Good Luck.

PS: if you want to see what some already sound like, try these two sites

http://www.adamdaley.com/wap

http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeh...es/download.php <http://luckyluciano.completelyfreehosting.com/ringtones/download.php>

Last edited by towski394 : 05-18-2005 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add info
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 7100g
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks... I can understand getting tired of seeing the same questions. The other thread was great and got me what I needed. I'll try to use the search better in the future and pay more attention to the sticky threads.
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
towski394's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas
Model: 7100t
Posts: 229
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

And the gospel spreads to another follower....
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PhilMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: McKinney, Texas
Model: 7100g
Posts: 236
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The problem with being a newbie and doing searches is that a newbie may not necessarily know the right terminology or the best terminology to search under. That can make a world of difference in what is returned. Do a search on "ringtones" and you'll get 198 messages; search on "create ringtones" and you'll get 12; search on "creating ringtones" and you'll get 2, one of which is this thread.
__________________
Me? 7130C/BES

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Model: Storm
OS: 5.0.0.419
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 482
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Oh my. Damn search feature can't find a damn thing. Not even this thread -
ADPCM Ringtones [True Audio Ringtones for 7100 handhelds] - NOT FOR 7100i or this one - Download Ringtones!

I hate when that happens...

bfrye - can you fix that search button to work (and be visible)
Not naming any names of course, but I wonder sometimes if certain moderators on this forum think that one of the qualifications for becoming a moderator is being a condescending smart-aleck. I can understand being annoyed at people asking the same questions over and over, but I think it can be handled in a better way. At least morninglight9 acknowledged that he had tried to search but did not find exactly what he was looking for. I would say that this forum is kinder to the newbie than some I've have participated in. Personally, I had rather find the info myself than bother someone else with it, but most of us have limited time, so sometimes we have to ask. And I think if a person asks for help in a humble way as morninglight9, he should get a response in kind. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by rta53 : 05-20-2005 at 05:38 AM.
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
BBF Veteran User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hotwiring another Cessna
Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo
Posts: 3,492
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

While I'm probably culprit numero uno for giving smart answers about this, my replies almost always say something to the effect of "Try searching for ringtones, this has been answered a gozillion times already..." Most of the time I'll even do the search and post the results with the searched phrase highlighted so the users can learn the search terms. If we weren't just a little condescending about it, new users would think that we really love to explain, in detail, how to hide the enterprise activation icon, 22 times a day.

I would bet 90% of the new users that start posting here have actually been hanging around browsing for days or weeks until they had a real question. The more those users see these kinds of responses.. slightly annoyed but not to the point of outright rudeness, they might actually catch on and learn a thing or two without having to get annoyed and answer the same questions, or move topics around to the appropriate forums many, many, many times a day.
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
BBF Veteran User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hotwiring another Cessna
Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo
Posts: 3,492
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMax
The problem with being a newbie and doing searches is that a newbie may not necessarily know the right terminology or the best terminology to search under. That can make a world of difference in what is returned. Do a search on "ringtones" and you'll get 198 messages; search on "create ringtones" and you'll get 12; search on "creating ringtones" and you'll get 2, one of which is this thread.
Well I'd like to think our userbase has enough capability and knowhow to not give up after one failed search. I mean, if you researching automobile accidents and plugging it into google, but didn't find any statistics on the first page or with the first try, would you call up google and ask them for the answer?
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
BBF Veteran User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hotwiring another Cessna
Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo
Posts: 3,492
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninglight9
Thanks... I can understand getting tired of seeing the same questions. The other thread was great and got me what I needed. I'll try to use the search better in the future and pay more attention to the sticky threads.
This should be the new user creed... recited before every post
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Model: Storm
OS: 5.0.0.419
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 482
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
This should be the new user creed... recited before every post
Sounds like a great idea! And thanks for your helpful response to my previous post.
Offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 7100g
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Only thing I'd say in my defense is that I did ask for *documentation* because I figured this was covered and I just couldn't find it. I didn't intend for anyone to explain it just for me.

No big deal, life goes on, and you try to do better in the future.
Offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: 8100
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
The more those users see these kinds of responses.. slightly annoyed but not to the point of outright rudeness, they might actually catch on and learn a thing or two without having to get annoyed and answer the same questions, or move topics around to the appropriate forums many, many, many times a day.
Actually, I've just about given up on this forum specifically due to these all too frequent responses. I don't say this to be rude, just to let you know that these responses do lower the friendliness of this site compared to others. My experience with forums is that they are friendly places where someone who is totally lost can come and look AND ask for advice without getting a rude response. This is the only forum I participate in where I have seen such a level of annoyance at people who simply ask for help. I thought this site would be a good place for advice on my BB, but lately I've been searching elsewhere because I'm just tired of the negative attitude that seems to accompany so many responses to well intentioned posts.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude here although it may come across that way, but my advice to the moderators would be to tone this down some and make this a friendlier site where someone doesn't have to be afraid of asking for advice. Just my 2-cents!
Offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in a house...
Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhekman
Actually, I've just about given up on this forum specifically due to these all too frequent responses. I don't say this to be rude, just to let you know that these responses do lower the friendliness of this site compared to others. My experience with forums is that they are friendly places where someone who is totally lost can come and look AND ask for advice without getting a rude response. This is the only forum I participate in where I have seen such a level of annoyance at people who simply ask for help. I thought this site would be a good place for advice on my BB, but lately I've been searching elsewhere because I'm just tired of the negative attitude that seems to accompany so many responses to well intentioned posts.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude here although it may come across that way, but my advice to the moderators would be to tone this down some and make this a friendlier site where someone doesn't have to be afraid of asking for advice. Just my 2-cents!
What good will this site be when all the knowledgable people leave because they are sick of answering the same simple questions over and over again. People want everything for nothing these days, and nobody seems to be willing to spend the 5... 10... 15 minutes to find their answer. I bet 9 out of 10 questions asked by people with less than 10 posts on here have already been answered, and that by spending a few minutes of their precious time trying to learn about their new toy is cutting into whatever life they have.

I have said this before and I will say it again... If it's that important that you need an answer right away, and that it's more important than trying to learn a little bit PAY FOR SUPPORT!

I call it a toy here, because any serious business user will have some type of support behind them. It may be their wireless dealer, it may be an IT person, who knows.

Everyone wants something for nothing, and people expect something for nothing. The way I see it, 99% of the newbie questions are already answered on here, and of people are scared away because they are too lazy to figure something out themselves, so be it.

What's the point of having 10,000 users when 9,950 of them are leech's who want answers for free for everything right away and the other 50 people are the ones who take the time to learn it.

I think that it should be enough that someone already pays for this webspace and server, and that people spend a lot of time to make sure that the information here is current and correct. Does nobody else value this?

Enough of this rant.

cd.
Offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 59
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If people get annoyed and leave - too bad that's their problem. Being rude is not acceptable.
Instead of demeaning someone for asking an often posed question. Just provide a reasonable answer, a pointer or -at least - a link to follow.
Hopefully these people who have so little patience are not parents.
Offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7520
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
What good will this site be when all the knowledgable people leave because they are sick of answering the same simple questions over and over again. People want everything for nothing these days, and nobody seems to be willing to spend the 5... 10... 15 minutes to find their answer. I bet 9 out of 10 questions asked by people with less than 10 posts on here have already been answered, and that by spending a few minutes of their precious time trying to learn about their new toy is cutting into whatever life they have.

I have said this before and I will say it again... If it's that important that you need an answer right away, and that it's more important than trying to learn a little bit PAY FOR SUPPORT!

I call it a toy here, because any serious business user will have some type of support behind them. It may be their wireless dealer, it may be an IT person, who knows.

Everyone wants something for nothing, and people expect something for nothing. The way I see it, 99% of the newbie questions are already answered on here, and of people are scared away because they are too lazy to figure something out themselves, so be it.

What's the point of having 10,000 users when 9,950 of them are leech's who want answers for free for everything right away and the other 50 people are the ones who take the time to learn it.

I think that it should be enough that someone already pays for this webspace and server, and that people spend a lot of time to make sure that the information here is current and correct. Does nobody else value this?

Enough of this rant.

cd.

I am writing this as someone who does not have a lot of post and I completely agree with benheckman. There is no reason for attitude when there is a post which may have been already covered. Just dont reply to the post. I use this forum to learn things that I don't know by reading other peoples problem, I have asked very few questions and didn't really get any useful responses (which is fine, no problem I did find out all the answer on my own). Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't posting a question a form of searching for the answer (pretty efficient way if you ask me). Either way I really enjoy reading the discussions and have learned a number of things from this site. I will continue to use this forum (hoping I don't ask a stupid question and get a response like maddox.xmission.com would give).

Thanks for the time and sorry if I offended anyone.
__________________
The Nexcom Store
Offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 02:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in a house...
Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmac49
If people get annoyed and leave - too bad that's their problem. Being rude is not acceptable.
Instead of demeaning someone for asking an often posed question. Just provide a reasonable answer, a pointer or -at least - a link to follow.
Hopefully these people who have so little patience are not parents.
I don't think it's being rude at all... I think it's being proactive... how many times do you ask your wife or girlfriend to get you a beer while you sit on your fanny before she tells you to stop being lazy and do it yourself...

People who say the more knowledgable people just shouldn't answer don't understand the amount of time we spend reading through redundent posts asking the same thing over and over.

I used to answer many questions, I still answer a few, but not as many as before, and for 1 simple reason. I give myself 15 minutes a day to go through here reading and answering. I am sure that the 12 minutes I spend reading through questions that have already been answered would let me answer a few more legitimate questions, but thems the breaks right.

I have no problem contributing, but I am not in the business of spoon feeding lazy people. Everyone here who lurks and reads and learns great, I have no problem with that, because I'm sure none of you have asked about unlocking your handheld and other such questions. I have answered many questions where it has been a users first post.

You say it would be my problem if I stopped coming here because of lame questions being asked all the time... what are you going to do when other people who know the answers stop coming here for the same reason... there won't be anyone left to answer your question or any other legitimate question.

I have spent a ton of time over the last few years learning, trial and error. What's wrong with other people doing this? You might say they don't have the resources or know how... then they should read like the thousands of other people here. I am sure for each person who has asked about unlocking a blackberry there have been 10 others who have read and learned the answer. You tell me why that one person couldn't have done the same thing. There's no reason whatsoever.

If people think I am being rude and belittling people, tough. If they are too lazy to spend a bit of time like everyone else has, f. em.

cd.
Offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in a house...
Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhekman
Actually, I've just about given up on this forum specifically due to these all too frequent responses. I don't say this to be rude, just to let you know that these responses do lower the friendliness of this site compared to others. My experience with forums is that they are friendly places where someone who is totally lost can come and look AND ask for advice without getting a rude response. This is the only forum I participate in where I have seen such a level of annoyance at people who simply ask for help. I thought this site would be a good place for advice on my BB, but lately I've been searching elsewhere because I'm just tired of the negative attitude that seems to accompany so many responses to well intentioned posts.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude here although it may come across that way, but my advice to the moderators would be to tone this down some and make this a friendlier site where someone doesn't have to be afraid of asking for advice. Just my 2-cents!
I'd like to see an example of where someone has asked for advice specifically and been treated rudely? I will never answer an 'asking for advice' question rudely. I will give an opinion. Where I have little patience is people who ask how do I do blah. where the question has been answered many times over.

cd.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.