BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: na
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 8830 or curve?

Please Login to Remove!

Blackberry 8830 via verizon or blackberry curve via cingular?
thanks.
Offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

My subscriber is Verizon. I would debate with you if the other device was available.
Offline  
Old 07-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
ryaninc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Depends on what you want/need. For me, the 88xx is out because it doesn't have a camera and I use the camera on my Pearl constantly. Instant uploading to Flickr via email is so cool. So for me, I'd go with the Curve or Pearl because I need the camera.

But the 88xx has GPS and (maybe) WiFi...so if you don't need a camera and need either of those features, go with the 88xx series.

Hope that helps.
__________________
4 8 15 16 23 42
BlackBerry Pearl with 1GB microSD card
North Tower Video Productions
Offline  
Old 07-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The first thing you should look at is which carrier gives you better coverage in your area, and the areas you frequent. This is the most important factor. The coolest phone is of no use with no coverage. If both give you similar coverage, then you can test out the devices on each network.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
avanden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 174
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It depends on what you want. As stated, the Curve has a camera, the 8830 does not. However the 8830 lets you take the device with you internationally and has GPS... the Curve does not.

As for me... when I upgrade my phone in a couple months, I'm planning on getting a Curve. I'm already on Cingular/AT&T (whatever the frick they're calling themselves now) and have been a customer of theirs for 7 years. I have no need for GPS (Mapquest/Yahoo Maps are my friend) and I use the camera on my current phone A LOT, so the Curve won out.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

let not say the 8830 has GPS, thats a whole issue in itself. You eventually can use Verizon's own program for 9.99 a month.

I would go with the Curve unless you want the Want the GPS and the faster tethering speed. Other than that i would go with AT&T, if they both have good coverage for you.
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrychoice View Post
Blackberry 8830 via verizon or blackberry curve via cingular?
thanks.
The Blackberry 8820 is out soon. And while it was not one of your choices, it will have WiFi and the upgraded media player of the Curve and stereo bluetooth headset support. That one will be AT&T.

The Curve is a nice device with a better multimedia player, support for bluetooth wireless stereo headphone, and a good keyboard. Also has a good 2 megapixel camera.

The 8830 is a nice with internal GPS that is disabled by Verizon. There are also other little things disabled by verizon. Some say some video codecs dont work, and you are locked from TCP settings by the carrier. So while it does have the GPS, you can't use it because it will be locked to THEIR VZW service. You wont be able to connect 3rd party apps to it.

Personally though, I absolutely HATE verizon. I was with them for 6 years and dumped because I switch devices frequently, and I was sick and tired of having crippled devices. So if you have a choice of the two, be advised Verizon does not care about their customers. They remove choices from you, the consumer, to lock you into very specific services. The other carriers are more open and give you what the manufacturer has created.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Personally though, I absolutely HATE verizon. I was with them for 6 years and dumped because I switch devices frequently, and I was sick and tired of having crippled devices. So if you have a choice of the two, be advised Verizon does not care about their customers. They remove choices from you, the consumer, to lock you into very specific services. The other carriers are more open and give you what the manufacturer has created.

I couldn't agree more.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Personally though, I absolutely HATE verizon. I was with them for 6 years and dumped because I switch devices frequently, and I was sick and tired of having crippled devices. So if you have a choice of the two, be advised Verizon does not care about their customers. They remove choices from you, the consumer, to lock you into very specific services. The other carriers are more open and give you what the manufacturer has created.

I couldn't agree more.
Well, the absolute ONLY reason to stick with VZW is because of the good network first and foremost, even if you will get shafted on upper end devices. Because AT&T is good internationally too. My parents take it to the Philippines and it is perfect.

I have switched 5 of my friends off of that god awful company so far ... and more to come. Anyway ... BB 8820 anyone? Its hitting AT&T in August sometime is the rumor. You VZW people? Your gonna wait a few months to a year, and when you do get it. You will get shafted with a hobbled feature. Actually ... I doubt you will even get it ... because wifi would give you too many options. Or wait .... they will close off wifi to use their proprietary authentication and make it so you can only use their coffee shop access points for an extree $9 a month. Thats the VZW way.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Well, the absolute ONLY reason to stick with VZW is because of the good network first and foremost, even if you will get shafted on upper end devices. Because AT&T is good internationally too. My parents take it to the Philippines and it is perfect.

I have switched 5 of my friends off of that god awful company so far ... and more to come. Anyway ... BB 8820 anyone? Its hitting AT&T in August sometime is the rumor. You VZW people? Your gonna wait a few months to a year, and when you do get it. You will get shafted with a hobbled feature. Actually ... I doubt you will even get it ... because wifi would give you too many options. Or wait .... they will close off wifi to use their proprietary authentication and make it so you can only use their coffee shop access points for an extree $9 a month. Thats the VZW way.
There really is no reason for Verizon to want a wifi capable BB. If they can't gouge somehow for it, it serves them no purpose to have it. What customers want is inconsequential. Verizon is big and they really don't care if you like them or not. There will always be people willing to pay their tribute month after month to live under Verizon's rules.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Well, the absolute ONLY reason to stick with VZW is because of the good network first and foremost, even if you will get shafted on upper end devices. Because AT&T is good internationally too. My parents take it to the Philippines and it is perfect.

I have switched 5 of my friends off of that god awful company so far ... and more to come. Anyway ... BB 8820 anyone? Its hitting AT&T in August sometime is the rumor. You VZW people? Your gonna wait a few months to a year, and when you do get it. You will get shafted with a hobbled feature. Actually ... I doubt you will even get it ... because wifi would give you too many options. Or wait .... they will close off wifi to use their proprietary authentication and make it so you can only use their coffee shop access points for an extree $9 a month. Thats the VZW way.
There really is no reason for Verizon to want a wifi capable BB. If they can't gouge somehow for it, it serves them no purpose to have it. What customers want is inconsequential. Verizon is big and they really don't care if you like them or not. There will always be people willing to pay their tribute month after month to live under Verizon's rules.
Lol that's like a repressed person living under a dictators rule choosing to pay rent to live there over freedom somewhere else just because a lot of other people are there too.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)



Lol that's like a repressed person living under a dictators rule choosing to pay rent to live there over freedom somewhere else just because a lot of other people are there too.
Don't laugh, a lot of posters here feel that way and would follow the "can you hear me now" guy to hell just for the privilege of using "the network".

Last edited by ArgonNJ : 07-23-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Well, the absolute ONLY reason to stick with VZW is because of the good network first and foremost, even if you will get shafted on upper end devices. Because AT&T is good internationally too. My parents take it to the Philippines and it is perfect.

I have switched 5 of my friends off of that god awful company so far ... and more to come. Anyway ... BB 8820 anyone? Its hitting AT&T in August sometime is the rumor. You VZW people? Your gonna wait a few months to a year, and when you do get it. You will get shafted with a hobbled feature. Actually ... I doubt you will even get it ... because wifi would give you too many options. Or wait .... they will close off wifi to use their proprietary authentication and make it so you can only use their coffee shop access points for an extree $9 a month. Thats the VZW way.
There really is no reason for Verizon to want a wifi capable BB. If they can't gouge somehow for it, it serves them no purpose to have it. What customers want is inconsequential. Verizon is big and they really don't care if you like them or not. There will always be people willing to pay their tribute month after month to live under Verizon's rules.
Lol that's like a repressed person living under a dictators rule choosing to pay rent to live there over freedom somewhere else just because a lot of other people are there too.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Don't laugh, a lot of posters here feel that way and would follow the "can you hear me now" guy to hell just for the privilege of using "the network".
Okay okay ..... now back on topic you goofy people you!!

Honestly though, for me, I would get the 8800. I really wouldn't use the camera ... and if I did its more novelty than anything else. But I do a lot of driving so I would much rather have the GPS.
Offline  
Old 07-24-2007, 04:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: na
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default curve/AT&T or 8830/verizon

Thank you to everyone who has commented on my original curve/AT&T and 8830/verizon questions.

Here is the deal:
I had AT&T back in 1997, 98, and 99, I loved it., Customer service was excellent. But there were tons of droppepd calls, and I had heard of Verizon, which most of my friends had.

Once verizon introduced "free calls in network" plan, I had to switch. The cell service rocked. Never had a dropped call, phone always worked, and compared to others who had cingular or T mobile, my verizon service killed their services, my service was the only one that worked-everywhere.

But then something happened. The customer service with verizon went AWEFUL, their prices are INSANE, their phone choices S-CK, and I hate it. But, the truth is, they do have the best cell service.

So now my verizon contract has finished. I have the option to use my 100$ every two (this is a free $100 for completing a 2 year contract to use towards a new phone) and I wanted to buy the best blackberry they have, which seems to be the 8830. But then a friend said to me "the curve rocks-you must switch to at&t". But the truth is, I havent used at&t in AGES, so I am not sure how comfortable I am switching to a new service and signing a new contract just for the sake of the "cooler phone".

I am purchasing a new phone, whichever one that is, sometime in the next 3 weeks.
Anymore great advice would be great. P.S., some have asked about my coverage area, I live in NYC.
Offline  
Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
birddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 130
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am in NJ and spend a lot of time in NYC. I used VZW for about 8 years, during that time I thought VZW was the only provider that had acceptable service in the area. I just switched to AT&T for a number of reasons. I love the form factor of curve and the AT&T coverage in the area is fine. Four or five years ago, I don't think I would have been happy with Cingular in this area, but they have improved.


A big issue for me is that I didn't like that VZW cripples their phones. Even though I didn't need the GPS, if VZW had included it, I would have chosen to stick w/ them and would have been happy to take the larger 8830 w/ the extra GPS capability.

As it is, I am very happy w/ the curve and AT&T.

Last edited by birddog : 07-24-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Okay okay ..... now back on topic you goofy people you!!

Honestly though, for me, I would get the 8800. I really wouldn't use the camera ... and if I did its more novelty than anything else. But I do a lot of driving so I would much rather have the GPS.
Just the opposite. I would rather have the camera. I also like the Curves form factor better. It has more rounded edges and feels better in your hand then the square like 8800 series, plus the keyboard is better spaced. As soon as the CDMA version comes out, I'm there.
Offline  
Old 07-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Model: WP7
OS: The Best
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,930
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrychoice View Post
But the truth is, I havent used at&t in AGES, so I am not sure how comfortable I am switching to a new service and signing a new contract just for the sake of the "cooler phone".
See if they give you a try out period like Verizon and Sprint does. This way you can see if the ATT coverage and call quality are up to par with what you need (as this is the most important point). Don't fall into "the devil you know" mindset. Otherwise you will be trapped by Verizon for ever, not knowing if you could have done better.
Offline  
Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrychoice
Thank you to everyone who has commented on my original curve/AT&T and 8830/verizon questions.

Here is the deal:
I had AT&T back in 1997, 98, and 99, I loved it., Customer service was excellent. But there were tons of droppepd calls, and I had heard of Verizon, which most of my friends had.

Once verizon introduced "free calls in network" plan, I had to switch. The cell service rocked. Never had a dropped call, phone always worked, and compared to others who had cingular or T mobile, my verizon service killed their services, my service was the only one that worked-everywhere.

But then something happened. The customer service with verizon went AWEFUL, their prices are INSANE, their phone choices S-CK, and I hate it. But, the truth is, they do have the best cell service.

So now my verizon contract has finished. I have the option to use my 100$ every two (this is a free $100 for completing a 2 year contract to use towards a new phone) and I wanted to buy the best blackberry they have, which seems to be the 8830. But then a friend said to me "the curve rocks-you must switch to at&t". But the truth is, I havent used at&t in AGES, so I am not sure how comfortable I am switching to a new service and signing a new contract just for the sake of the "cooler phone".

I am purchasing a new phone, whichever one that is, sometime in the next 3 weeks.
Anymore great advice would be great. P.S., some have asked about my coverage area, I live in NYC.
AT&T has gotten better since the Cingular merger. I don't have any dropped calls whatsoever. Cingular was the one advertising the network the least dropped calls. I don't know if that is actually true because I don't fall for the hype, but I'm just commenting on my experience.
Offline  
Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: Tour
OS: v4.7.1.40
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Well, I seem to have better coverage here with Verizon.....

I would love to get away from crippled phones that verizon has.

However, I spoke to a friend who has AT&T service currently near where I live. He told me that he had far less dropped call with Verizon than AT&T which he has now because of company he works for.

And that's why I am thinking about sticking with Verizon. I wish I had the phones AT&T has.....
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.