BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia/New York City
Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

since i started this thread (and didn't mean for ANY of this hostility to come out) i thought i'd reply again. my problem with self-updating isn't JUST the time it takes to do this. it goes beyond that. i said the 7100 is marketed as a blackberry for the "ordinary" user. i may have the time but not the knowledge to do self-updates. i can follow directions, surely. but i'm not as bad at troubleshooting when things don't go as they are supposed to. look at the repeated posts here whenever an update comes around - "bugs", "new problems", "loss of data", "no fix of old problems", "how do I backup?", are all topics that have reported numerous times. i simply cringe whenever i hear it's time for a self-update. that's all i stated.

there is no way EVERYONE can do EVERYTHING for themselves. you may cut your own grass but do you cut your own hair? no, probably you go to someone who's a little better trained to do that. i simply wished there was some way I didn't have to plunge into the process of self-updating. i have a degree from an ivy league school and am successful in my business that has nothing to do with computers. i bought into blackberry's advertisement for the 7100 as a phone/pda "for the masses". i simply posted a wish that this were a little more true. all the name calling and accusing those who don't feel the same as you as "lazy" is really uncalled for.
__________________
Bill Felty
Philadelphia
Offline  
Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jibi's Secret Place
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.174
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11,310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

if you are not comfortable with doing updates, then simply take it into the office and have them do it for you. this has been the way cell phones have operated for as long as i can remember. firmware updates have been made since the bag and block phone days, however those rarely, if ever, were released to the public. times have changed, users are more demanding, cell phone usage is up about 10 million percent since then, and the hardware has become way more advanced (its not just a phone).

and with that last part, i think anyone who buys this phone needs to realize that its NOT just a phone, but an advanced pocket-sized computer that happens to double as a phone. i don't care if its marketed as a 'consumer' device for the 'ordinary' user, people should be smart enough to realize that if a phone does more than take inputs for numbers and transmit audio over a wireless cellular network, then its going to require a bit of those brain cells to operate it (no offense).

i'm personally glad that we've come to know an age where cellular providers release firmware updates to their users. it saves me a phone call to support, a few months of hopeful wishing that others may call in enough for the same issue that a fix it put on the drawing board for next year's firmware patch, and a trip to the store at the end of that year.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
Offline  
Old 07-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
ainvar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Near Ft Belvoir VA
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Most of the post you refer to that are the same post over and over and over and over again are due to people not Reading The Freaking Manual/Directions/Instructions/Steps/ or procedure to do something. It is not my fault or others that most people cant do this or do a simple search to find there problem. I guess I was a bit hostile and agressive but it is caused by majority of people just want it handled for them and not think or do for themselves beyond the scope of there everyday lives. I have noticed that most of the people in america where I was born and raised and fat, dumb, and lazy. It shows in everything around us today in our enviroment. It is the very fact the mentality of most people that use the devices we are talking about here. People always want it done for them than to take the few minutes of time to do it themselves. I guess that is a good thing for me since it promises good job security in the IT field.

But my point being on this whole thing is what makes this a difficult upgrade? Is it the fact that you have to read some directions to do it? You have to actually think to do it? It means you have to take some time out of an unmanged schedule to do it? You are afraid of technology and you just want blinders for it?

But seriouosly what makes this such a hard thing to do? I would really want to know what the honest no excuse issue is?
__________________
Note to self: Why don't you ever listen to me?

We the unwilling led by the unqualified for so long with so little we now attempt the impossible with nothing
Offline  
Old 07-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 7100T
Posts: 16
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default continuing to play nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvar
Most of the post you refer to that are the same post over and over and over and over again are due to people not Reading The Freaking Manual/Directions/Instructions/Steps/ or procedure to do something. It is not my fault or others that most people cant do this or do a simple search to find there problem. I guess I was a bit hostile and agressive but it is caused by majority of people just want it handled for them and not think or do for themselves beyond the scope of there everyday lives. I have noticed that most of the people in america where I was born and raised and fat, dumb, and lazy. It shows in everything around us today in our enviroment. It is the very fact the mentality of most people that use the devices we are talking about here. People always want it done for them than to take the few minutes of time to do it themselves. I guess that is a good thing for me since it promises good job security in the IT field.

But my point being on this whole thing is what makes this a difficult upgrade? Is it the fact that you have to read some directions to do it? You have to actually think to do it? It means you have to take some time out of an unmanged schedule to do it? You are afraid of technology and you just want blinders for it?

But seriouosly what makes this such a hard thing to do? I would really want to know what the honest no excuse issue is?
i dont think anyone ever said it was hard or difficult. to answer your question, it is more time consuming than it should be. i have a pc at work, however, i would never hook this phone to my work pc (govt property). on the average day, i spend 6 hours at home. i dont want to spend an hour downloading whatever to the pc, then the download for the phone, then the download to the phone. i do not have a home phone, so the update prevented me from using my phone when i needed to use it. if that had been your initial inquiry, then that was all needed to say...

the question was "is there anyone else that hates self updating"? the man asked a question, and i co-signed. if i say "who else hates rush-hour traffic?" that doesnt mean i find it hard or difficult...

for those that are in the IT field, I am certain it is frustrating dealing with people that are not as savvy as yourself. However, it is not necessary to take it out on others and read more into what they are saying then what is actually said. there is also no need to attack people in your response.

I dont expect you to walk into the door of my job and understand industry lingo, jargon and acronyms. im not going to say it needs to be "dumbed down", but as theatreguy said, this phone was marketed as one for the ordinary user. if thats who the tartget is, it should require a minimal amount of maintenance...with all that being said, I need to figure out how to undo the update. between not being able to hear out the earpiece, to this stupid hourglass, this phone is cause me even new aggravation.
Offline  
Old 07-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
ainvar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Near Ft Belvoir VA
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

but again how ordinary so you want the phone to be for it to be an ordinary user phone?
If you want a simple phone I am sure the nokia 5190 which does not require any updates for it to work and you have to deal with the bugs.

I work for goverment too I am not home that much but that is not an excuse I deal with the free time I have and make the most of it. I look at what needs to be done and then get it done. If I have to do it in steps I do it in steps as I multitask others.

And for me to read into something here are some nice exerts.

it seems simple enough, but always takes me an hour or so at the computer trying to figure it all out. and i read the posts of all the people who have such problems after trying to update. it makes me want to wait until the next version of the phone comes along and simply buy a new one. sheesh. there should be an easier way - an over the air update (i used to get those when i owned a t-mobile sidekick) or the ability to take it to a t-mobile store and have them update it for you. if RIM wants to continue to market phones to the "average consumer", there will have to be a better way!

First post. He makes it sound like it is all hard and so confusing and everyone upon everyone is havine problems.

I did it today. self-updating sucks AND blows simultaneously. You'd think that such savvy gadgetry would not take so many steps to update. i have no clue what was actually updated, and i'll probably never use it anyway.

POst number 7 here makes it sound like it is building something for nasa. RTFM much?

I thought the 7100 was the BlackBerry for the masses, one for which you need little technical knowledge. I am very skilled in many areas...taking an hour to backup and update my Blackberry according to a (for me) complicated set of instructions is not a skill I want to acquire. Perhaps Blackberry should give us an auto update or a self-update. To each his own. That would have been a better response to my post.

Post #9 here and he states the instructions are difficult.. what is so difficult about them? You read, you do, and then you are done. It is as simple as tying your shoelaces. Again RTFM much.

This is not rocket science, it is not some hard plan to cure world hunger. This device is as simple as it comes for self updating for the user. Go and try to update a pocket pc. You will lose all your data and they tell you how it is not a good idea to restore your data from a backup after the update/upgrade. Ever try a palm update? Guess what same thing. These are PDA devices and smartphones for the average consumer/person.

These are not hard things to upgrade any of them they just take a little bit of effort and some time. If you feel this is not the device for you and you feel burned from it than next time I would suggest a little more research before buying one.

With technology at your fingertips you sometimes have to roll up your sleeves and get a little dirty with some of the more detailed aspects of the resource at hand.
__________________
Note to self: Why don't you ever listen to me?

We the unwilling led by the unqualified for so long with so little we now attempt the impossible with nothing
Offline  
Old 07-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 7100T
Posts: 16
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default may as well be talking to the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvar
but again how ordinary so you want the phone to be for it to be an ordinary user phone?
If you want a simple phone I am sure the nokia 5190 which does not require any updates for it to work and you have to deal with the bugs.

I work for goverment too I am not home that much but that is not an excuse I deal with the free time I have and make the most of it. I look at what needs to be done and then get it done. If I have to do it in steps I do it in steps as I multitask others.

And for me to read into something here are some nice exerts.

it seems simple enough, but always takes me an hour or so at the computer trying to figure it all out. and i read the posts of all the people who have such problems after trying to update. it makes me want to wait until the next version of the phone comes along and simply buy a new one. sheesh. there should be an easier way - an over the air update (i used to get those when i owned a t-mobile sidekick) or the ability to take it to a t-mobile store and have them update it for you. if RIM wants to continue to market phones to the "average consumer", there will have to be a better way!

First post. He makes it sound like it is all hard and so confusing and everyone upon everyone is havine problems.

I did it today. self-updating sucks AND blows simultaneously. You'd think that such savvy gadgetry would not take so many steps to update. i have no clue what was actually updated, and i'll probably never use it anyway.

POst number 7 here makes it sound like it is building something for nasa. RTFM much?

I thought the 7100 was the BlackBerry for the masses, one for which you need little technical knowledge. I am very skilled in many areas...taking an hour to backup and update my Blackberry according to a (for me) complicated set of instructions is not a skill I want to acquire. Perhaps Blackberry should give us an auto update or a self-update. To each his own. That would have been a better response to my post.

Post #9 here and he states the instructions are difficult.. what is so difficult about them? You read, you do, and then you are done. It is as simple as tying your shoelaces. Again RTFM much.

This is not rocket science, it is not some hard plan to cure world hunger. This device is as simple as it comes for self updating for the user. Go and try to update a pocket pc. You will lose all your data and they tell you how it is not a good idea to restore your data from a backup after the update/upgrade. Ever try a palm update? Guess what same thing. These are PDA devices and smartphones for the average consumer/person.

These are not hard things to upgrade any of them they just take a little bit of effort and some time. If you feel this is not the device for you and you feel burned from it than next time I would suggest a little more research before buying one.

With technology at your fingertips you sometimes have to roll up your sleeves and get a little dirty with some of the more detailed aspects of the resource at hand.
ummkay
Offline  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in a house...
Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OK... To upgrade... You go to your carriers website, find the link for handheld software, download it, with the run option. It downloads in a minute. It starts, you click next, next, next and wait for 20 minutes.

To do that once a year, what's the big deal?

Can you use your car while it's getting the oil changed?

I don't understand why it is such a big deal? You update maybe once a year, if it matters too much that you can't use the phone while you do it, do it before you take a shower. By the time you get out and dried off and dressed, it'll be done.

cd.
Offline  
Old 07-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 444
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatreguy
i bought into blackberry's advertisement for the 7100 as a phone/pda "for the masses".
The way that RIM updates the BlackBerry is no different than the way that 99% of the other phone/pda's designed "for the masses" (like the Treo, or an Windows Mobile device) are updated.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.