BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
DLRStudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sudden increase (DRASTIC) in ringtone

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone else experienced this? There's a thread about this on Crackberry, so I know I'm not the only one.

Saturday I was on my way to Barnes & Noble, and I asked my husband (him driving, me passenger) to call me so I could show him how unreasonably quiet the ringtone on the 8830 is. When it rang, I could barely hear it, as usual, and he couldn't hear it at all from just a few feet away. I've missed many calls because I didn't hear it ringing.

I put my phone back in the holster, and back in my purse. I never touched it again until I got a call after leaving B&N. I was standing outside the bookstore waiting for my husband to pick me up when my phone rang. It was on the ground a few feet away from me, phone in holster, in purse. It rang so LOUD that I didn't realize what it was at first. This wasn't a little louder, like you have to listen to it and wonder if it's louder. It was really loud. I hadn't changed the ringtone or any other settings.

Sunday my phone was again in the holster, in my purse, when I received an email. My 22yo son was watching tv in the next room (a pretty loud movie), and he yelled, "what was THAT?!" The email alert was so loud we all heard it from various rooms in the house. Formerly, I usually only recognized that I'd received an email when I saw the red light flashing. I rarely heard the alert.

Last night my phone rang while my older son was coming downstairs. My phone was in the kitchen, the stair door was closed. He heard it when he was halfway down the stairs, before he opened the door. The volume has been very loud since Saturday, every time I've received a call or an email. I'm just reporting a couple of instances to demonstrate how loud it is in various situations, such as noisy entryway and parking lot at B&N, and my noisy house.

I've reset my ringtone to medium, and my email alert to low. Yeah, it was actually too loud! Five other people on Crackberry have reported the same changes, all starting on Saturday. Those are just the ones who have found the thread there and responded. There certainly must be others. Another poster reported buying his new 8830 on Saturday, and the ringtones were very loud right out of the box.

I haven't changed any ringtones, alerts or settings since this happened on Saturday, other than lowering the volume.

Anyone here experiencing this?
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
mriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Florida swamps
Model: iPhon
OS: 4.0.4
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 7,273
Post Thanks: 463
Thanked 96 Times in 74 Posts
Default

No, I haven't experienced this. I have an 8830. If you figure out what happened, please tell me!
__________________
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. CD
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
amarryat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Marshfield, MA
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 121
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
No, I haven't experienced this. I have an 8830. If you figure out what happened, please tell me!
I know, I'd like it to happen to mine too.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
DLRStudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd love to know how it happened. I'd love to share

It just happened out of the blue, just like it did to the others. I'm very, VERY happy about it. Hope it stays this way. A guy on Crackberry suggested pulling the battery to see if it changes. There's no way I'm going to do anything that might mess it up. He seems very skeptical, sounds like he thinks those of us who suddenly have the louder ringtones are imagining it. But it's really like night and day, like I suddenly have a different phone. I never would have believed I'd have to lower the volume on my 8830.

Hopefully, it'll happen for everyone who carries this phone. BTW, my ringtone is set to Danny Boy (Carly Simon) from TuneUsIn. This ringtone was as quiet as all the others when I first set it. And I have the same message alert I've had since I set it a few minutes after I got the phone. It's SO loud. Like I said, had to set it to low.

I'll keep you posted if there are any changes.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: Z30
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,921
Post Thanks: 61
Thanked 258 Times in 185 Posts
Default

Does anything think VZW could be pushing down some type of rolling volume OS update, or addon?
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Model: 8330
PIN: head, Zippy
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is it even possible for VZW to send updates ota through BIS?
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
DLRStudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm not on BIS, but is it possible for VZW to do this OTA? I didn't think it was.

No one else here experiencing it?
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: Z30
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,921
Post Thanks: 61
Thanked 258 Times in 185 Posts
Default

I don't think it is/has been possible. Hasn't been. I was just throwing the idea out... maybe some module update? That might be possible.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kjjb0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 1,813
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Whoever can figure this out is going to be a hero in my book. I'm in my car all day and with the music on, I can't hear my phone ring at all.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRStudio View Post
Has anyone else experienced this? There's a thread about this on Crackberry, so I know I'm not the only one.

Saturday I was on my way to Barnes & Noble, and I asked my husband (him driving, me passenger) to call me so I could show him how unreasonably quiet the ringtone on the 8830 is. When it rang, I could barely hear it, as usual, and he couldn't hear it at all from just a few feet away. I've missed many calls because I didn't hear it ringing.

I put my phone back in the holster, and back in my purse. I never touched it again until I got a call after leaving B&N. I was standing outside the bookstore waiting for my husband to pick me up when my phone rang. It was on the ground a few feet away from me, phone in holster, in purse. It rang so LOUD that I didn't realize what it was at first. This wasn't a little louder, like you have to listen to it and wonder if it's louder. It was really loud. I hadn't changed the ringtone or any other settings.

Sunday my phone was again in the holster, in my purse, when I received an email. My 22yo son was watching tv in the next room (a pretty loud movie), and he yelled, "what was THAT?!" The email alert was so loud we all heard it from various rooms in the house. Formerly, I usually only recognized that I'd received an email when I saw the red light flashing. I rarely heard the alert.

Last night my phone rang while my older son was coming downstairs. My phone was in the kitchen, the stair door was closed. He heard it when he was halfway down the stairs, before he opened the door. The volume has been very loud since Saturday, every time I've received a call or an email. I'm just reporting a couple of instances to demonstrate how loud it is in various situations, such as noisy entryway and parking lot at B&N, and my noisy house.

I've reset my ringtone to medium, and my email alert to low. Yeah, it was actually too loud! Five other people on Crackberry have reported the same changes, all starting on Saturday. Those are just the ones who have found the thread there and responded. There certainly must be others. Another poster reported buying his new 8830 on Saturday, and the ringtones were very loud right out of the box.

I haven't changed any ringtones, alerts or settings since this happened on Saturday, other than lowering the volume.

Anyone here experiencing this?
Well it sounds like the pattern is: Out of Holster (Quiet) in Holster (Loud). I would review the settings in the Profiles comparing In Holster options to Out of Holster options. Also, does anyone know if holstering pivots the profile from normal to loud?

E-
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
DLRStudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Actually, the volume has been very loud out of the holster, as well. When it rang last night as my son was coming down the stairs and he heard it before he opened the door, it was in my kitchen charging, out of the holster. I had considered the holstering issue, too. The first time it was very loud it was unholstered.

On advice of a poster at Crackberry, I'm going to remove the battery, and see if a reset makes any difference. I'm definitely hoping that the volume stays loud. However, if this is an instability issue, I want to make sure that's taken care of. I'll report results when I have a chance to do the reset.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRStudio View Post
Actually, the volume has been very loud out of the holster, as well. When it rang last night as my son was coming down the stairs and he heard it before he opened the door, it was in my kitchen charging, out of the holster. I had considered the holstering issue, too. The first time it was very loud it was unholstered.

On advice of a poster at Crackberry, I'm going to remove the battery, and see if a reset makes any difference. I'm definitely hoping that the volume stays loud. However, if this is an instability issue, I want to make sure that's taken care of. I'll report results when I have a chance to do the reset.

Keep in mind that when charging it MAY also pivot the profile from normal to loud. When you call it out of holster and without being connected to anything is it still loud?
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
DLRStudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Okay, here's where I'm at.

I pulled the battery, as someone suggested. Now my ringtone is deathly quiet again. I really wish I hadn't pulled it. I wasn't experiencing any problems. No changes at all, other than the louder ringtone and alerts. Oh well, it's done now.

I did compare the volume holstered vs. unholstered. It's louder when in the holster. Not really loud like it was before, but louder than unholstered.

I was able to duplicate the sound/volume I've been hearing. I listened to the tone I've been using as my phone ringtone, using Mediaplayer. The tone is an MP3 from TuneUsIn. I had the volume on Mediaplayer all the way up, from when I was listening to the MP3s after I downloaded them. The clip (Danny Boy - Carly Simon) played through Mediaplayer at max volume is exactly what I was hearing on my phone before I pulled the battery. Not only louder than ringtones normally are, but fuller sounding - both through Mediaplayer and as my ringtone (you know, until a few hours ago). And oddly, all my alerts had this fuller tone and volume as well. They didn't sound like the normal thin alerts. It was like going from a crappy 13" tv to a high quality surround sound system. Well, sort of.

So that's my story. I really want that good sound back. I totally don't understand how my phone could have been playing alerts and ringtones through Mediaplayer, but that's what it sounded like. Now if I could only make it happen again. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd love to hear them!
Offline  




Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.