BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union, KY
Model: Curve
PIN: 31CFDFC8
Carrier: cincinnati bell
Posts: 133
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Instant Messaging--please help me answer this.

Please Login to Remove!

So I guess Im spoiled with my work plan were I have unlimited TXT msgs.

So here my question. I bought Wifey an 8830 World Edition through Verizon.

i want to download an IM Client that my BB and her BB can talk to each other without paying for 9,000 txt msgs.

Is there an IM Client that uses soley data without counting each enter key as a TXT?
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
iPhone Mod!
 
zerog46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a House
Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold
Posts: 6,753
Post Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Yes Jive Talk works great for $30.00 or Yahoo for free.

BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go
__________________
Life is not holding a good hand. Life is playing a poor hand well.
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY03GT View Post
So I guess Im spoiled with my work plan were I have unlimited TXT msgs.

So here my question. I bought Wifey an 8830 World Edition through Verizon.

i want to download an IM Client that my BB and her BB can talk to each other without paying for 9,000 txt msgs.

Is there an IM Client that uses soley data without counting each enter key as a TXT?
JiveTalk is the best. But if you both have BB's why not just BB Messenger???
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union, KY
Model: Curve
PIN: 31CFDFC8
Carrier: cincinnati bell
Posts: 133
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Yes Jive Talk works great for $30.00 or Yahoo for free.

BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go


Okay thats what I thought - I thought Yahoo is free - Verizon says otherwise? They say its a txt message. Gtalk is free too I think
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Arcangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Model: APPLE
OS: 3.0.1
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS
Posts: 292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

use BB messanger if u both have BB
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Blackberry Messenger if you have both a BB


Jivetalk uses DATA
__________________
ZED 10
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
iPhone Mod!
 
zerog46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a House
Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold
Posts: 6,753
Post Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

If I am not mistaken Yahoo and Gtalk for VZW use Data, not text messages.
__________________
Life is not holding a good hand. Life is playing a poor hand well.
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46
If I am not mistaken Yahoo and Gtalk for VZW use Data, not text messages.
Verizon offer an IM client but it uses sms. Google talk and yahoo off the mobile.blackberry.com use data and are free vz won't tell you this. But to the op if you both have BB's I would use BB messenger
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator
 
SteveO86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.280
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS
Posts: 6,534
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

Yea, I've used GTalk and Yahoo, in the end I went with JiveTalk, its great to have everything in one place, if any else I knew has a BlackBerry I would the BlackBerry messenger but such is life. (And I'm content with it for now lol)
Offline  
Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Blooded
 
jsntrenkler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tucson Arizona
Model: 9630
OS: 4.7.1.40
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 1,271
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would use the Blackberry Messenger ... Works so great with other Blackberries
Offline  
Old 03-21-2008, 06:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union, KY
Model: Curve
PIN: 31CFDFC8
Carrier: cincinnati bell
Posts: 133
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Okay so heres where it gets MORE interesting. Lady on the phone ALSO told me that BB Messenger uses TXT also. But when I spoke to a previous CSR they told me it didn't. I don't understand how Verizons network can tell if an IM Client is able to do a TXT msg or not. AOL obviously uses TXT but thats because it is TXT based but Yahoo and Gtalk are FAT clients?
Offline  
Old 03-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,045
Post Thanks: 52
Thanked 305 Times in 293 Posts
Default

BB Messenger is data-only. That's part of it's attraction: it avoids the whole SMS thing completely.
Offline  
Old 03-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.xxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10,149
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

SMS/TXT messaging uses the voice network, BBM and PIN use the data network, no way it can use TXT messages. not to mention the carrier has no idea you are sending a PIN message, as it goes through RIM servers directly.
Offline  
Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon
Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Why not just use the PIN function?
Offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Model: 8330
PIN: head, Zippy
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

With BB Messenger, you can also send files to each other in addition to instant messenging. Jive supports file transfer but it's definitely not free.

-h
Offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
cartiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the behavioral health unit
Model: 8530
OS: 5.0.0.654
PIN: ask me
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 85
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default pin/text dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY03GT View Post
Okay so heres where it gets MORE interesting. Lady on the phone ALSO told me that BB Messenger uses TXT also. But when I spoke to a previous CSR they told me it didn't. I don't understand how Verizons network can tell if an IM Client is able to do a TXT msg or not. AOL obviously uses TXT but thats because it is TXT based but Yahoo and Gtalk are FAT clients?
What's more interesting is that I does. She probably didn't explain that pin messages send like text messages. You can pin a contact without the use of the blackberry messenger icon. In the contacts list/address book select a contact=menu=pin enter pin address without the hassel of having to send an add request; I believe you can also use this option through the compose icon - open the app. Go [use once]=menu=pin enter pin and violla, you are sending sms free of charge
Offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec, Canada
Model: 9300
OS: 6.0.0.461
PIN: 23918503
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 101
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartiel View Post
What's more interesting is that I does. She probably didn't explain that pin messages send like text messages. You can pin a contact without the use of the blackberry messenger icon. In the contacts list/address book select a contact=menu=pin enter pin address without the hassel of having to send an add request; I believe you can also use this option through the compose icon - open the app. Go [use once]=menu=pin enter pin and violla, you are sending sms free of charge
PIN can only be used if you have a data package...users that only subscribe to a voice package can not use PIN messaging.
Offline  
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
cartiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the behavioral health unit
Model: 8530
OS: 5.0.0.654
PIN: ask me
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 85
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default my missunderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic72 View Post
PIN can only be used if you have a data package...users that only subscribe to a voice package can not use PIN messaging.
I was left to believe that b-berry msnger omitted a radio signal,allowing any blackberry owner that privledge. But,since I have a data plan, I myself wouldn't know the difference. I'm actually hoping that some time soon they might offer some sync I.M. so as to link with other phones,or a way for some one to download the b-berry msnger to the phone they already own, or some alternative soultion-aside from texting;something just as quick as an instant messenger.
Offline  
Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm not so sure if using Yahoo Messenger is considered DATA. I haven't been able to confirm this myself after reading Data Services: Mobile Instant Messaging

I have a VZW 8830 / v4.2.2.196 / BES (no IT policy restrictions)

I downloaded Yahoo Messenger v2.1.33 and installed it fine. However, I keep getting "Cannot connect to server" error message every time I try to sign on.

Any ideas?
Offline  
Old 08-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
djm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4,637
Post Thanks: 29
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixx View Post
I'm not so sure if using Yahoo Messenger is considered DATA. I haven't been able to confirm this myself after reading Data Services: Mobile Instant Messaging

I have a VZW 8830 / v4.2.2.196 / BES (no IT policy restrictions)

I downloaded Yahoo Messenger v2.1.33 and installed it fine. However, I keep getting "Cannot connect to server" error message every time I try to sign on.

Any ideas?
Have you tried downloading the JiveTalk trial and seeing if it will connect to Yahoo? BTW, that would be considered data regardless of what Yahoo Messenger is.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.