I *may* be getting a little too excited right now, but here goes... For quite some time, we've known the 7100 to have MMS support, although no one has ever quite found out how to enable it. There has always been a COD file loaded the the handheld for MMS, but I personally never saw any options for MMS and a BlackBerry aside from the BES option to disable the functionality.
With that said, I completely wiped my handheld and reinstalled OS 4.0.2 w/o restoring any data (see below for instructions).
- Verify in Add/Remove Programs that 'BlackBerry v4.0.2 for the 7100 Series Wireless Handheld' is installed on your machine
- Connect your handheld to your Desktop/Laptop
- Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager
* Double-click on Backup and Restore
* Click on Backup and save the file to a safe location
* Click on Close
- Double-click on Application Loader
- Click on Next
- Click on Next (the selected applications should be what you have now; leave these, as the loader will use these same options to reload the OS software)
- Click on Advanced
- Select 'Erase all currently installed applications'; click Next
- Select 'Do not automatically back up and restore the handheld application data during the loading process'; click Next
- Click Finish
This will obviously remove ALL settings, data and 3rd party applications, so be careful of this.
After it came back online, I went into Settings/Options and I now have MMS as an option. I do not remember that option there before.
The options are as follows:
Multimedia Reception: Always
Automatic Retrieval: Home Only
Automatic Retrieval Limit: No Limit
Allow Delivery Notification (selected)
Allow Read Notification (selected)
Request Delivery Notification
Request Read Notification
Reject Anonymous Messages
I now also have the option for Compose MMS in Messages. Very nice!
Anyone else seeing this, or am I just lucky to have stumbled on it? I'm thinking there are some issues with upgrading versus a completely fresh installation of 4.0 to 4.0.2.