Originally Posted by blackburried
This may sound like a silly question, but is there anyway to restore an O/S onto a blackberry? I have an 8703e and was upgrading it to 4.2 when the power went out. When it came back on the computer would not recognize the phone and I can't even get the screen on my brand new blackberry to come on. All I get is the LED light flashing red. I have removed the battery and put it back in to see if that would do anything but it didn't help.
I have this sick feeling that the phone is basically a paper weight now and will probably have to be replaced. I hope this isn't the case but I am not very optimistic at this point.
You do have a problem. Here are some things to do and try to restore your BB>
1. Go out and buy a ups for your computer so that when yo do get it fixed you won't lose data or anything else again.
2. Go back to wherever you bought the "brand-new" blackberry and tell them it stopped working. Play dumb. Tell them it just stopped and would they please fix it. Most likely they will have to replace the phone. This is what warranties and insurance are for.
3. If they do not want to fix it or if you bought the phone through e-bay or the like, try a battery pull but this time, depress the power on button on the top of the phone for at least 30 seconds. Then replace the battery and see what happens.
4. Try downloading the OS and reinstalling it. If you remember what the comm setting for your phone were, that would help.
5. In the Desktop Manager, go to Options/Connection Settings and press the Detect button and see what happens.
Please post your results for these various tests or which one was successful
Let me stress that there are no guarantees here. You may have "screwed the pooch" and your assessment that you have a really neat paperweight is correct.
I hope that this helps, but i would not get my hopes up. Frankly, option 2 is your best bet.