I ran some tests this morning. I have an autoforwarder at my domain to forward emails sent to my main account to my account at tmo.blackberry.net. With this enabled, I am seeing the message delivered within 2 to 5 minutes. This is acceptable.
When I don't have the auto-forward enabled and the account configured at webclient.blackberry, I noticed it took about 15 minutes which is further away from ideal.
I am located in Atlanta, GA. I've seen some inconsistencies however I'm not sure if that's due to configuration on my part or the network's performance.
I'm glad there are users out there that are applying pressure on TMO. You can be sure if I get my ducks in a row and see the problem on TMO's end, I will be calling them as well. Some extra minutes would be nice
When you pay an extra $30 (+$10 for BES) per month, it better darn well work.