BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Can I use GPS on 8830 without data plan ?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I just got the 8830 . In order to use the internal GPS, do I need to subscribe to voice or data plan ?. I tried to use the Maps application and it's stuck searching for satellites. Do I need to turn on something else ?

The BB currently has the latest 4.2.2 software.

I'm in Canada and the carriers in the areas are either Rogers or Bell Mobility.

Thanks for your help,
Offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
squeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 306
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIM View Post
Hi

I just got the 8830 . In order to use the internal GPS, do I need to subscribe to voice or data plan ?. I tried to use the Maps application and it's stuck searching for satellites. Do I need to turn on something else ?

The BB currently has the latest 4.2.2 software.

I'm in Canada and the carriers in the areas are either Rogers or Bell Mobility.

Thanks for your help,
You do NOT need a data plan to get a GPS fix. You do need a data plan to run most of the popular mapping/navigation applications such as Blackberry Maps and Google Maps.

I know know much about Rogers/Bell Mobility, but in the US, Verizon Wireless DOES require you to use their GPS software.
Offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 9800
OS: 6.x
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 412
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Neither Bell or Rogers require their software, and you are free to use Google Maps etc..
Offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern IL
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,076
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You do however need to go to options>advanced options>GPS and set location to always on instead of 911 only.
Offline  
Old 06-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,035
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

If it is a Verizon 8830, the GPS is blocked anyway so you can only use it with VZNav which requires a BB dataplan and is $10 a month extra. You can also use a GPS puck for GPS data, but still need the BB dataplan for maps.
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the answers.
Don't know what's wrong with the internal GPS then. I just upgraded the BB to 4.2.2.196 and it can't find any satellites. I have the Data Source set to Device GPS and GPS Services set to Location on. I also disabled Bluetooth.

Bell has GPS Nav (TeleNav) software that they want to charge 10$/month similar to Verizon. I'm wondering if the GPS is also disabled because the mobile network is currently set to Bell Mobililty.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance for all your help


Quote:
Originally Posted by omkhar View Post
Neither Bell or Rogers require their software, and you are free to use Google Maps etc..
Offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

TGIM, where did you get the 8830 from?
Offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
TGIM, where did you get the 8830 from?
It's from my brother who bought it on eBay in Canada.
I just checked RIM's Knowledge Base and found this

"To activate Global Positioning System (GPS) technology on a BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone, contact Bell Canada."

It looks like they also have some sort of restriction on the 8830 sold in Canada through the carriers. That sucks.
Offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Let me say this, regardless of what omkhar stated above, if you did a thorough search of this forum you will find Bell users who state they did have to subscribe to the Nav application in order to activate the GPS, much like users on Verizon in the US must do.

There could be exceptions, I don't know. Were I you, I would turn to the Bell and find out.
Offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Let me say this, regardless of what omkhar stated above, if you did a thorough search of this forum you will find Bell users who state they did have to subscribe to the Nav application in order to activate the GPS, much like users on Verizon in the US must do.

There could be exceptions, I don't know. Were I you, I would turn to the Bell and find out.
Thanks JSanders. I'll talk to Bell and find out and will update this thread once and for all...
Offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

TGIM, please don't use the "report post" button to ask questions.

Ask them here.
Offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I managed to get the GPS on my 8830 working now. I dont' have either data or voice plan on the BB yet I can still use the internal GPS to track my location and coordinates. Actually I turned off Mobile Connection altogether and the GPS still works. It looks like that RIM has an fully autonomous GPS on these 8830s

ALso it appears that the Canadian carriers are doing the same thing with 8830 as VzW. You need to install TeNav. software on the BB to activate or unlock the GPS.

Because I dont' have internet connection, I went backdoor by borrowing another 8830 with GPS Nav , backup and restore the Service Books onto mine to get it working . It was a wild guess but it works...it could be that the carrier ID was programmed by the software...I'm new to BB

Anyhow, my problem is solved..Thank you all for your help.
Offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cnc
Posts: 20
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIM View Post
I managed to get the GPS on my 8830 working now. I dont' have either data or voice plan on the BB yet I can still use the internal GPS to track my location and coordinates. Actually I turned off Mobile Connection altogether and the GPS still works. It looks like that RIM has an fully autonomous GPS on these 8830s

ALso it appears that the Canadian carriers are doing the same thing with 8830 as VzW. You need to install TeNav. software on the BB to activate or unlock the GPS.

Because I dont' have internet connection, I went backdoor by borrowing another 8830 with GPS Nav , backup and restore the Service Books onto mine to get it working . It was a wild guess but it works...it could be that the carrier ID was programmed by the software...I'm new to BB

Anyhow, my problem is solved..Thank you all for your help.

I am also puzzled with this, if you can share it with me, mail to: [email address]


other informations will also be appreciated
Offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
nka
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Quebec, Canada
Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did Bell or Rogers (Canada) block the use of the Intenal GPS ? I don't want to pay to use there software... maybe also wich to connect it to MS:S&T ? Is that possible ?
Offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am on Bell Canada and have been wondering the same thing. I was fiddling about with Blackberry maps and asked it to find my position which it promptly did. I am not subscribed to Bell's GPS plan.

I have been going to call them to ask them about it. Use of GPS signals is free, so what do we get for out $10 a month? I wondered if you would get "live" stuff like traffic info, turn by turn directions etc.

Does anyone know for sure?
Offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
nka
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Quebec, Canada
Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Atleast you confirm that his not blocked. Cool :D
Offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Using MAPS and GPS at BlackBerry 8800 at prepaid t-mobile connection

I am completely new using BB. I bought cingular unlocked 8800. I have installed google maps and also BB maps. Nothing is working!!! I donot have any data plan as i am using t-mobile prepaid connection. Is it possible to access maps or even download maps for particular area ? So far, the answer could be NO.. But still i am asking.. if there any
Offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

mmrmozumdar, The answer is no.

Without a data plan, simply no.

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ
Offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
FF2
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 755
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmrmozumdar View Post
I am completely new using BB. I bought cingular unlocked 8800. I have installed google maps and also BB maps. Nothing is working!!! I donot have any data plan as i am using t-mobile prepaid connection. Is it possible to access maps or even download maps for particular area ? So far, the answer could be NO.. But still i am asking.. if there any
As noted, you canNOT use google or BBmaps without a data plan. You can use Trekbuddy and mobile gmaps but you have to kind of assemble maps of your specific area in advance on your computer and then copy them to your device, preferably a SD card.
Offline  
Old 07-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What is TeNAV and how do I get it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIM View Post
I managed to get the GPS on my 8830 working now. I dont' have either data or voice plan on the BB yet I can still use the internal GPS to track my location and coordinates. Actually I turned off Mobile Connection altogether and the GPS still works. It looks like that RIM has an fully autonomous GPS on these 8830s

ALso it appears that the Canadian carriers are doing the same thing with 8830 as VzW. You need to install TeNav. software on the BB to activate or unlock the GPS.

Because I dont' have internet connection, I went backdoor by borrowing another 8830 with GPS Nav , backup and restore the Service Books onto mine to get it working . It was a wild guess but it works...it could be that the carrier ID was programmed by the software...I'm new to BB

Anyhow, my problem is solved..Thank you all for your help.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.