BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West of Ottawa, Canada
Model: PassP
OS: 10
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 1,069
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy BB 8700 name

Please Login to Remove!

Shouldn't the new BB be called an 8200?

Judging by the photos I've seen it seems like a replacement for the 7200 series. RIM seems to have abandoned the larger 7700 format. This is unfortunate because I prefer the larger device: bigger screen, bigger keyboard.

Plus the larger format doesn't make my hand cramp up when reviewing a lot of emails.

Is the large format gone?
Offline  
Old 10-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
MrH
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 67
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
Shouldn't the new BB be called an 8200?

Judging by the photos I've seen it seems like a replacement for the 7200 series. RIM seems to have abandoned the larger 7700 format. This is unfortunate because I prefer the larger device: bigger screen, bigger keyboard.

Plus the larger format doesn't make my hand cramp up when reviewing a lot of emails.

Is the large format gone?
I've seen the 8700 in person and it is the same form factor as the 72xx series. I haven't heard anything from my RIM contacts regarding an upcoming large format device like the 77xx series.

Hope that helps...
Offline  
Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jibi's Secret Place
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.174
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11,310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

although the 7700 series had a larger screen, the 8700 series will feature a larger resolution. not that its good for everyone, but i can appreciate it. the 7700 series was not popular, to say the least. it may have been one of the more durable models, but its honestly a waste of money to produce a product that will do nothing more than flop in sales. the 7200 series has been the most successful of their lines, and the 7100 series has brought a strong following as well - these will be the only two lines to keep going on into this next year's generation from what i've been told.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
Offline  
Old 10-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
mike_187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US and A
Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 794
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

yah u are right about that. they will produce the 7100 to go to cdma and iden. we'll see that soon, as well as the new 8700. which is an upgrade to 7200 series. from there who knows what they will do next.
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West of Ottawa, Canada
Model: PassP
OS: 10
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 1,069
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
although the 7700 series had a larger screen, the 8700 series will feature a larger resolution. not that its good for everyone, but i can appreciate it. the 7700 series was not popular, to say the least. it may have been one of the more durable models, but its honestly a waste of money to produce a product that will do nothing more than flop in sales. the 7200 series has been the most successful of their lines, and the 7100 series has brought a strong following as well - these will be the only two lines to keep going on into this next year's generation from what i've been told.
I didn't know the large format was a financial bust: I've owned a 6750, 7750, 7780. . . . I guess I was the only one buying 'em
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,948
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 470 Times in 406 Posts
Default

I am going to name my 8700 Fred.
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West of Ottawa, Canada
Model: PassP
OS: 10
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 1,069
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
I am going to name my 8700 Fred.
OK! I'll bite. . . . why Fred?

I know I'm going to regret this!

Last edited by roofus : 10-06-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
KonTiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

FRED For Rim's Excellent Design
__________________
BB Tour 9650


Running OS 6.0.0.524
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Posts: 3,309
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
FRED For Rim's Excellent Design
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West of Ottawa, Canada
Model: PassP
OS: 10
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 1,069
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
FRED For Rim's Excellent Design
That was painless
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
KonTiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Hi! My name is WENDY!!!

Wireless E-Mail Newest Device Yardstick

So that others have something to measure up against, now stick that in your pipe and smoke it TREO.
__________________
BB Tour 9650


Running OS 6.0.0.524
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,948
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 470 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Welcome to Jamaica....
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jibi's Secret Place
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.174
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11,310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
I didn't know the large format was a financial bust: I've owned a 6750, 7750, 7780. . . . I guess I was the only one buying 'em
i never said that those lines were financial busts. i said that after witnessing the popular and sales figures behind the 7200 and 7100 series when compared to the previous 6700/7700 series, it would be a financial bust if they decided to produce this upcoming generation as the same large-size format. keep in mind that the RIM market has grown exponentially in the last few years, and i can guarantee that only a small fraction of that growth owns a 6700/7700 series handheld.

...big difference.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
KonTiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

NJBlackBerry have a little toke mohn . . .
__________________
BB Tour 9650


Running OS 6.0.0.524
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,948
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 470 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Have A Nice Day
Offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West of Ottawa, Canada
Model: PassP
OS: 10
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 1,069
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Let me make one thing perfectly clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
i never said that those lines were financial busts. i said that after witnessing the popular and sales figures behind the 7200 and 7100 series when compared to the previous 6700/7700 series, it would be a financial bust if they decided to produce this upcoming generation as the same large-size format. keep in mind that the RIM market has grown exponentially in the last few years, and i can guarantee that only a small fraction of that growth owns a 6700/7700 series handheld.

...big difference.
I stand corrected. Well, actually I'm sitting . . . or to be really precise, my meticulous correspondent, . . . slouching.
Offline  
Old 10-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
Shouldn't the new BB be called an 8200?
Hmm, guess you should wirte RIM and tell them they got the model number all wrong...
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

VINTAGE APPLE LITE VRAM 128K X 8 BOARD CARD 820-0522-A
$195.0
VINTAGE APPLE LITE VRAM 128K X 8 BOARD CARD 820-0522-A pictureVINTAGE APPLE LITE VRAM 128K X 8 BOARD CARD 820-0522-A
$104.0
VINTAGE APPLE LITE VRAM 128K X 8 BOARD CARD 820-0522-A pictureAPPLE 630-0895-B VRAM 128K X 8 BOARD CARD VINTAGE
$219.99
APPLE 630-0895-B  VRAM 128K X 8 BOARD CARD VINTAGE pictureAPPLE 820-0522-A 630-0895-B LITE VRAM 128K X 8 BOARD >
$299.99
APPLE 820-0522-A 630-0895-B LITE VRAM 128K X 8 BOARD > picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.