BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
rjharary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Waltham, MA
Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South
Posts: 238
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bongo Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Why is it that any time a person asks about unlocking a device, the name Bongo wireless comes up? Are they really the only ones who know how to do it? It seems like it should be a fairly common thing to do with alll this demand out there how could there not be one guy who does it in the US?
__________________
Pretty good, Pretty pretty pretty pretty good
- Larry David
Offline  
Old 11-21-2005, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,824
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Bongo Wireless is in Canada.
If you know of any other companies that can do it and have references, please feel free to chime in.
Offline  
Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
WorldIRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: 9900
OS: 5.0.0.0
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 916
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Exactly...bongo is the only one that has advertised it. Kev is pretty smart ;)
__________________
Brian Bader
MSN / Email: [email address]
AOL: WorldIRC1986
Offline  
Old 11-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Model: 8100
Posts: 149
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've met Kevin last time I was in Ontario. (At his old shop next time I visit I'll go see the new one) He's a great guy, unlocked a couple phones of mine. I have met a couple other people through my brother in law who can unlock the blackberry but they are still perfecting it. The guys my brother in law knows said it's an 80% shot, they have unlocked some but some berries they tried didn't work. Once they can do it properly I'll post their contact info.
Offline  
Old 11-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 67
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just wish he would lower the price a bit!

120 is a bit too steep. may 80 to bucks?(which is still alot compared to other phones)
Offline  
Old 11-21-2005, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.xxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10,149
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

depending on the blackberry and of course your provider, you can get your BB unlocked at no cost. T-Mobile for instance unlocked my 7100t at no charge, and it worked on the first try. Cingular will unlock your device if you are going over seas or if you buy a phone only with them, but there is a tenure requirement MOST of the time. T-mobile is usually 1 unlock per year per phone number on the account.
Offline  
Old 11-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 67
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

On rogers wireless in canada dont have that choice!

Only choice is to pay Rogers 250$

Tmo and cing custs are lucky like that.
Offline  
Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentication_key
Just wish he would lower the price a bit!

120 is a bit too steep. may 80 to bucks?(which is still alot compared to other phones)
That's what they call supply and demand...
Offline  
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
rjharary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Waltham, MA
Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South
Posts: 238
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
That's what they call supply and demand...
Thats right, but at least Kevin is a nice guy right?
__________________
Pretty good, Pretty pretty pretty pretty good
- Larry David
Offline  
Old 11-23-2005, 07:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in a house...
Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjharary
Thats right, but at least Kevin is a nice guy right?
If you were the only person in the world outside of carriers and RIM who could unlock the BB, how much would charge? Think about this... why do you think there is only 1 person who can 100% unlock your BB? Maybe this cost a lot of money to get going?

If I were Kev, and it's a good thing I am not, anyone who complained about the price, I would double it for them.

cd.
Offline  
Old 11-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 67
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I wonder how much unlocking he is really doing at that price?

Also how much more people would jmpt at the price if he lowered it abit?
Offline  
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Posts: 3,309
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A tone, I've unlock 5-10 BB for clients for all sorts of reasons I've also recommended them for company's to unlock they're fleet of BB's. Example one company has some 30 BB's in which 10-15 do a fair amount of travel US/Int'l it's a hell of allot cheap for a company to unlock 10 BB at $100 so users can swap in say a TMo SIM then purchasing 10-15 new BB at 300+ for such travel, getting ding'd for roaming or maybe downgrading to a cell phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentication_key
I wonder how much unlocking he is really doing at that price?

Also how much more people would jmpt at the price if he lowered it abit?
Offline  
Old 11-24-2005, 07:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in a house...
Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Enough that he has kept the price where it is... Considering the charge from Rogers to unlock a blackberry, $100usd is a pretty good deal. I think if people don't like the price, they can go elsewhere... well... whatever.

Even though I have never met him yet, I have heard from quite a few (unrelated) people that he paid pretty big bucks to someone to develop this thing for him... but who knows... If someone else did it, why aren't they selling it too... I bet Kev is smart enough to do it himself, but don't want people to know that...

cd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentication_key
I wonder how much unlocking he is really doing at that price?

Also how much more people would jmpt at the price if he lowered it abit?
Offline  
Old 11-24-2005, 08:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 67
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Enough that he has kept the price where it is... Considering the charge from Rogers to unlock a blackberry, $100usd is a pretty good deal. I think if people don't like the price, they can go elsewhere... well... whatever.

Even though I have never met him yet, I have heard from quite a few (unrelated) people that he paid pretty big bucks to someone to develop this thing for him... but who knows... If someone else did it, why aren't they selling it too... I bet Kev is smart enough to do it himself, but don't want people to know that...

cd.
We are having a healthly discussion here, and you seem to be looking for a argument?

At the end of the day I could careless what he charges, Life goes on!
Offline  
Old 11-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in a house...
Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,148
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm not looking for an argument, I am just trying to understand why people are complaining about the price of a service... it's the only place in the world that you can get this done, for any carrier.

People are cheap, 100 usd isn't really all that bad, when you have _no other choice_. People just don't seem to understand, if you wanna play, you gotta pay, period.

People complain about the price of the handhelds all the time, but they still buy them, people complain about the price of gas, but we still buy it. It's just part of life... can't people understand that? I want things as cheap as everyone else, but I am either gonna pony up for it, or not get it, not sit and complain in the hopes that the price will go down.

People say maybe he should drop the price, why? He is obviously doing fine with the price where it's at.

Here's a question for everyone... if you were him, would you drop the price? Considering you would be the only person in the world who has this capability? If any of you say yes, I call BS. When you have a good thing, you don't change it, unless something forces you to (ie. someone else doing it cheaper).

cd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentication_key
We are having a healthly discussion here, and you seem to be looking for a argument?

At the end of the day I could careless what he charges, Life goes on!
Offline  
Old 11-24-2005, 11:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 67
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
I'm not looking for an argument, I am just trying to understand why people are complaining about the price of a service... it's the only place in the world that you can get this done, for any carrier.

People are cheap, 100 usd isn't really all that bad, when you have _no other choice_. People just don't seem to understand, if you wanna play, you gotta pay, period.

People complain about the price of the handhelds all the time, but they still buy them, people complain about the price of gas, but we still buy it. It's just part of life... can't people understand that? I want things as cheap as everyone else, but I am either gonna pony up for it, or not get it, not sit and complain in the hopes that the price will go down.

People say maybe he should drop the price, why? He is obviously doing fine with the price where it's at.

Here's a question for everyone... if you were him, would you drop the price? Considering you would be the only person in the world who has this capability? If any of you say yes, I call BS. When you have a good thing, you don't change it, unless something forces you to (ie. someone else doing it cheaper).

cd.
Im not complaining so dont quote me.

If I was complaining, I would have said something along the lines of..."He better lower those prices"
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.