BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/)
-   -   7130e or 8700c that is the question.... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/19775-7130e-8700c-question.html)

fcorey 11-23-2005 05:36 PM

7130e or 8700c that is the question....
 
Up until this week i thought that i had made up my mind to get an 8700c on my next trip out to corporate HQ. Then Verizon drops the 7130e and now I am not so sure. I currently have Verizon as my provider and made the unfortunate decision to get a mot v710, which turned out to be junk.

My main need is phone, ability to send receive SMS (for paging) and email. So obviously either unit would work. The smaller screen and combo keyboard on the 7100 series seem like the only possible drawbacks.

Anyone have thoughts on 7100 series performance as a phone? I constantly hear mixed reviews of all blackberry phones, even the 8700c.

Right now I am almost convinced to stay with Verizon and get the 7130e. My manager said I could do either one and getting out of a contract isnt an issue with Verizon as my contract is fullfilled.

Any feedback on the 7100 series would help.

thanks

--FC

davemayo 11-24-2005 08:16 AM

I've never used the 8700c, I currently use a 7100g (Cingular) and previously had a 7280. The 7100g is far better as a phone than the 7280, but it was much easier for me to type on the 7280 than the 7100g. There were tradeoffs in going to the 7100g from the 7280, but overall I'm much happier with the 7100g.Hope this helps.

fcorey 11-24-2005 01:33 PM

thanks
 
Dave, thanks that does help. The reason I posted this in the 7100 forum was that I wanted feedback on any 7100 model from peopel that have them. I am going to check out the 8700c when I get out to our HQ next week but I think that the 7130e may be a better fit for what I want. thanks again

--fc

wangta01 11-24-2005 04:31 PM

I have a 7100T and I love it. You get used to typing on it and as long as you don't have to write long emails, then it does a great job. I have been known to write fairly lengthy emails on mine without too much of a hassle. I really like the 7100 - so much so that I bought a 7130 from verizon that should be arriving this week!

The 8700 looks cool, but its too frikkin big. It feels like you're putting a brick to your head when you talk on it.

XDS 11-24-2005 04:56 PM

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

It realy all depends on coverage in your area and if or not you need A world phone.

That's what it comes down to.


Regards,
~

BTW , I would say GO with the 8700 I think that latency is pretty much the same because the 30 is like not even able to utilize the full potential of the upgraded CDMA's speed.

And even with tethering you still have 2 or 3 bottle necks before the connection hits your PC/Lappy or whatever.

XDS 11-24-2005 05:08 PM

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I forget now the 7130 has the xScale 3xx processor , Anyways no one hold me to what I have said here please because I could be very mistaken. Sorry If I have pissed anyone off.

Regards,
~

Move 11-27-2005 07:31 PM

My $0.02
 
Here are my thoughts:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/19794-i-need-complain-7100g-voice-stinks-what-about-other-models.html

fcorey 11-28-2005 09:54 AM

thats what i figured
 
Move, thanks, that was exactly what i was looking for. My boss offered me her 7290 to try it out. However the common complaint I have heard was that the GSM coverage in my area was not good even today. Also I have heard that gsm phones give no warning when they are about to drop a call when signal is getting bad. My loaner motorola did that when i had it for a couple of weeks so I have been reluctant to move over to an 8700 and rely on it for everything. I have no doubt that the data part will work well but blackberry phones dont have the best rep for use as a telephone.

I'd love to hear what you think of the 7130e once you get it. thanks

--fc

LCB 12-03-2005 09:33 PM

I'm going through the same decision right now. I played with both today, and I am still undecided. I'm a current Verizon customer, and I would have to break my contract to get into the 8700c.

Overall, I think I prefer the 8700c, but I'm not sure its worth switching over to Cingular. It's more slim than the 7130e, with the bigger screen, plus a full QWERTY keyboard - which I think I really prefer. The advantages of the 7130 are the faster EVDO network, the ability to hook up to my laptop for a modem, and I would not need to pay to get out of my verizon contract.

I'm still up in the air. I wish I had more concrete news that the 8700 was coming to Verizon in the next month or two, then I would just get the 7130 in the time being. However, I fear Verizon won't get the 8700 until next summer.

whsbuss 12-03-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCB
I'm going through the same decision right now. I played with both today, and I am still undecided. I'm a current Verizon customer, and I would have to break my contract to get into the 8700c.

Overall, I think I prefer the 8700c, but I'm not sure its worth switching over to Cingular. It's more slim than the 7130e, with the bigger screen, plus a full QWERTY keyboard - which I think I really prefer. The advantages of the 7130 are the faster EVDO network, the ability to hook up to my laptop for a modem, and I would not need to pay to get out of my verizon contract.

I'm still up in the air. I wish I had more concrete news that the 8700 was coming to Verizon in the next month or two, then I would just get the 7130 in the time being. However, I fear Verizon won't get the 8700 until next summer.

From everything I've read the 8700 on VZW is probably not going to happen until summer 2006. I got my 7130e on 12/1 and I love the new features (EVDO, wonderful screen, getting used to SureType). I too prefer the full keyboard since I do more email than phone. But the Send/End keys for phone operation is what works best (hated the 7250 ESC key hangin up incoming calls).

If/when VZW releases an 8700 I will most likey switch.

roofus 12-04-2005 05:22 AM

I am testing the 7130e(Bell) and the 8700r(Rogers) for our company. One important thing I have found is that the cramped 8700 keyboard effectively eliminates the typing advantage that the 7200/7700 series devices always held over the 7100 series handhelds.
I always recommended that if you used the device primarily for text - get the 7200 or 7700 machines and if you use it mostly as a phone get a 7100. Now because of the poor 8700 keyboard and the excellent 7130e keyboard - it's easier to type on a 7130e (even using Suretype)!

Also the 7130e has a nicer form-factor.

Plus the EV-DO is faster than EDGE for some tasks.

whsbuss 12-04-2005 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roofus
I am testing the 7130e(Bell) and the 8700r(Rogers) for our company. One important thing I have found is that the cramped 8700 keyboard effectively eliminates the typing advantage that the 7200/7700 series devices always held over the 7100 series handhelds.
I always recommended that if you used the device primarily for text - get the 7200 or 7700 machines and if you use it mostly as a phone get a 7100. Now because of the poor 8700 keyboard and the excellent 7130e keyboard - it's easier to type on a 7130e (even using Suretype)!

Also the 7130e has a nicer form-factor.

Plus the EV-DO is faster than EDGE for some tasks.

Good observation. I'll have to take that into consideration if/when an 8700 is avaiable on VZW. The 72xx devices now have inferior processors/memory.

NJBlackBerry 12-04-2005 06:44 AM

I just got an 8700. I was never able to get used to the 7100 kayboard and Suretype. So the "nicer form-factor" really didn't help me because I never got used to Suretype. You miss a key on an 8700 and BlackBerry because BlsckBerry. You miss a key on the 7100 and it becomes Blsckwytart.

The 8700 keyboard does have smaller keys. Took me two days to get used to that (think Treo keyboard). For my money, the 8700 is great. And I also should have a 7103 from Verizon in next week to test.

whsbuss 12-04-2005 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
I just got an 8700. I was never able to get used to the 7100 kayboard and Suretype. So the "nicer form-factor" really didn't help me because I never got used to Suretype. You miss a key on an 8700 and BlackBerry because BlsckBerry. You miss a key on the 7100 and it becomes Blsckwytart.

The 8700 keyboard does have smaller keys. Took me two days to get used to that (think Treo keyboard). For my money, the 8700 is great. And I also should have a 7103 from Verizon in next week to test.

Well I was accustomed to the 7250 I used for a dew weeks over the summer. You are correct about missing keys and having different results with SureType. Now at 4 days out from getting the 7130 SureType is getting much better. It has already learned many of my unique words. I also tried adding some words to the Custom word list before typing them for the 1st time. This works great especially for special words it probably would never learn on its own.

I agree the Treo keboard is less than comfortable to type on. But its major dificiency is not having Auto Text and auto punctation like the BB has. I never like Palm and using a stylist so there's nothing lost with a touch screen.

I just hope VZW wil offer an 8700 type device so I can decide if I realy like it over my 7130. The new 4.1 OS is much better than the 4.0.2 offered on the 7250. I do use bluetooth for syncing and find it easier/quicker to manage my calender in Outlook.

Looking forward to your overall comparision of the 8700 vs 7130 when you get it.

MGO 12-04-2005 08:52 AM

7520 to 7100i
 
Similar issues. I really like the 7100 series and type greater than 250 word emails routinely. You need to do something thatIwe should be doing anyway, type first then proofread. It really makes for a more cogent email experience. After the first two days it did not take any reall adjustent. I tried the 8700 for a couple of days and returned (I maybe the only one in America). The phone was not as good in my market as the Nextel. The 7100 will hold the line open without any visible signal. I have not dropped a call yet. Others have mentioned that their 7130 do the same. The 8700 dropped quite a few GSM style. The Suretype is an acquired taste but be aware the predictive capability improves if you load the additional dictionaries that are available through the Desktop Manager. Two other small comments. I think the screen being longer on 7100 makes for a better aspect ratio for fax viewing. The rendering is better than on the 8700, this may not be important to you. Now for the real nit - I truly dislike the color and quality of the case of the 8700. This is truly a worthless nit but I knew that this would be scratched and chewed up in a matter of days in my hands.

imalowan 12-04-2005 10:59 AM

Its rather simple. Go to the mall and try each out. I did. The keys on the 8700 are terrible. Much, Much worse than on the 72XX or the 71XX. They feel worse - just try typing on them. The 7130 are better and suretype isn't hard to get used to. Its lightyears ahead of T9. It took me about an hour and I am now just as fast typing with suretype as I am with the 7250 which I replaced with the 7130e.

The 7130 is the best BB out there. Just check the reviews

Teledatageek 12-05-2005 11:37 AM

I'm trying to decide if I should keep my 7250 or get the 7130e. I went down to my local Verizon store and played with the 7130, what a fantastic screen. Much nicer than my 7250. Suretype works much better than I expected.

Seems for me the big gain is the nicer screen and a speakerphone (that I would rarely use), and of course its a new toy! I did upgrade my 7250 to EDVO and added the tethering option so there is no adavantage there.

I'm a little confused on the holster issue. The Verizon guy said it didn't come with one. There's another post here that says it does come with an inferior one. Sounds like there isn't plastic swivel one that is used on the 7250 for the 7130e.

Does anyone use thier BB as a makeshift flashlight? I seem to do that a lot with the 7250 as strange as it sounds. Does the 7130 have the same lighting power? Didn't seem like it did when I was testing.

My new every two isn't up until end of Feb either so it's full price.

Any thoughts, advice?

GeekNJ 12-05-2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
I'm a little confused on the holster issue. The Verizon guy said it didn't come with one. There's another post here that says it does come with an inferior one. Sounds like there isn't plastic swivel one that is used on the 7250 for the 7130e.

Does anyone use thier BB as a makeshift flashlight? I seem to do that a lot with the 7250 as strange as it sounds. Does the 7130 have the same lighting power? Didn't seem like it did when I was testing.

It comes with a nylon case that has elastic on the sides. I'm not used to it yet and preferred the one I assume you have it's the same as the 7750 plastic holster. It swiveled and I could "whip it out" really fast.

The 7130 is bright. i think brighter then my 7750 was. Sounds odd but ask the Verizon folks if you can bring the phone into a dark room and see :-o

whsbuss 12-05-2005 11:48 AM

The included case is just horrible. The belt clip/tab is so difficult to put on your belt. I'm waiting for my leather OEM case from Blackberry. Should arrive today.

roofus 12-05-2005 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whsbuss
The included case is just horrible. The belt clip/tab is so difficult to put on your belt. I'm waiting for my leather OEM case from Blackberry. Should arrive today.

Yes the case is crap. It's a recycled 7100 case that everone complained about. when that device came out. It falls off your belt at the drop of a hat.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.