Originally Posted by Wavester
I recently switched from a 7290 with Cingular and I've had my 8700c now for a bit over two weeks. I would like to share the following with the community to perhaps get your opinions:
1. I just don't feel the rugeddness of the 7290 in the 8700c. I am waiting for any survivability tests. I don't know if this is going to be a durable when dropped.
2. A minor point but perhaps other upgrading from the 7290 can appreciate..I am still ending calls (or attempting to end calls with the button on the side rather than the end call button on the front and my calls will just not discinnect that way anymore.
3. I hate all of the themes and am i missing the Compose icon. In fact, am I missing it or is it no longer there?
4. I've read that there is some tweaking with PocketDay so I will wait to load that, but has anyone had any problems running Berry411, Blackberry Messenger or BB Light?
5. I use corporate loga in background. Does anyone know the demensions the new wallpaper will need to be on the 8700?
Actaully I am pleased with the EDGE and the device in whole. Since I really haven't taken the time to explore the device yet, this forum is an excellent source of information for me.
I'm in the same boat as you (7290 to 8700).
1. I agree about the durability between the two units. Maybe it's the 7290's black plastic v. the "more elegant" silver of the 8700, but I think it's likely the real glass screen v. the 7290's cheesy plastic one. In any case, I'm paranoid as hell about dropping my 8700 and finding out! I haven't yet (knock on wood...)
2. I still hit the side button to end calls, only to notice later that I'm still connected! I agree; it's just a matter of time to get used to the 8700, including how some symbols are now on different keys...
3. I like some of the new themes, but probably because that was never an option with my old Cingular 7290 - even though it could obviously handle 'em. The "animation" of homescreen icons is a useful feature to help me know where I'm at, although I admit I'm tending to use the list themes more often (which I doubted I'd do...)
4. I could NEVER get Berry411 to work on my 7290. Kept running into a firewall issue... Can't help you on this question yet.
5. The 8700's screen is 320x240 pixels at 65K colors. I've created/e-mailed several pix to my BB that I use as wallpaper. You can do the same with your corporate logo. (Depending on which theme you prefer, however, you might need to putz around with the image to get the logo positioned where you want it, or to make sure the logo isn't overpowering the text/icons on your homescreen...