BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 8770c
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default BMW/8700c/Bluetooth Nightmare

Please Login to Remove!

I tried to connect a Cingular 8770 to a 645 and had major issues. I'm running on BB OS 4.1.
1. Inconsistent connecting - After fumbling through the idrive console for what felt like forever, I finally got it to connect. If I turned the car off it (and removed the key), then started it up again, the bb would not reconnect. After working though a myriad of troubleshooting steps - rebooting the bb, turning on/off bluetooth, disconnecting the bb's bluetooth connection to the car and reconnecting, deleting the 8770 connection on the car and re-adding it, etc. it would work. But each time it would loose connection meant at least 20 minutes of fumbling around to get it reconnected. I still don't know after hours how to reconnect it consistently

2. The idrive would stay on (sometimes) even after the key is out of the ignition whether I was in the middle of a call or not.

3. THE MOST DAUNTING OF ALL: The idrive wheel, which normally you are not able to move more clicks than the number of menu options available now spins 360 degrees in either direction. Basically you can spin it as many times to the right or left as you want and the car is in a mute mode where no voice activated commands work, no radio, and since the idrive scroll wheel is broken, I can't switch any menu items!!!

I love technology. Aren't these things fun?
Offline  
Old 12-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 98004
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 316
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

After you successfully pair it, you need to go into the Bluetooth setting on the 8700, select the entry for the BMW and make it a trusted device. That will let it automatically re-pair with the BMW each time they are in proximity.

Sorry to hear about the iDrive issues. Once you get it working, it should be very convenient.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 8770c
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks MegaBit, but it was already set to be trusted. Thanks anyway. I'd appreciate if it you had any other ideas though.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I havent tried at 8700c since its in the mail too me, but I know the 7100g did not work on my 05 X5 with BMW assist, neither does my Treo650, so I am going to assume the 8700 wont either.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think that I'll be able to fix it. Just leave your car with me. Should take only a few months, give or take.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
barjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't know if BMW changed the unit they are using between the 2006 325i and the 645 you have but mine couldn't work more perfectly. Have you had BMW check to see if the unit in the car is defective?
__________________
John

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Offline  
Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 98004
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 316
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFun
Thanks MegaBit, but it was already set to be trusted. Thanks anyway. I'd appreciate if it you had any other ideas though.
Some guys on e90post.com and bimmerfest.com have reported they needed a software update from the BMW center to get Bluetooth working correctly. I know that's not as easy as it sounds because it requires an appointment and several hours in most cases.

It might be worth a trip over to those forums to see if you can glean any further details.

I have an '06 330i and it works okay- the car was built in August and has the factory software.
Offline  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Model: 7800
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfla99
I havent tried at 8700c since its in the mail too me, but I know the 7100g did not work on my 05 X5 with BMW assist, neither does my Treo650, so I am going to assume the 8700 wont either.


my 8700c bluetooth works like a dream in my 05 X5 w/bmw assist. my treo 650 also worked except it wouldn't load the phone book.
Offline  
Old 12-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 266
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Defective Bluetooth radio?

I had a defective bluetooth radio.
Looks like my bluetooth radio really was defective
Offline  
Old 12-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My understanding is that any BMW built after '04 already has the correct software to enable Bluetooth. The software upgrade that was mentioned earlier in this thread likely refers to '04 models. I personally have had no Bluetooth problems in either an '05 545 or an '06 x3 with either a 7100g or 8700c.
Offline  
Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 38
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well,

I can now confirm that the 8700C pairs and works flawlessly with my 05 BMW X5 with assist, pairs quickly, trusted works perfect, phonebook transfers, steering wheel allows full control of book and dialing action, the ONLY thing I am unsure of is the signar bars, for some reason I did not see the signal strenth in the dash, but that is nothing compared to how well the device works with the car.

Cheers!
Offline  
Old 12-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 77
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Phonebook does work?

I just read your message about phonebook transfers.... If that is correct my CIO is going to be one happy man!

So you can dial by voice against your blackberry's phonebook?
Offline  
Old 12-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
barjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, I can on mine!
__________________
John

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Offline  
Old 12-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 77
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Scary

I just did a google search and found your article! Thanks for the great writeup! I just emailed him a link to it!

He is going to be a very happy BMW 5 series owner!

Now if I can just figure out how to bluetooth enable my 2006 Honda Ridgeline with NAV. Can't believe Honda left it out.

Thanks again!
Offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 8700c
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Own an '05 530i. Been waiting for the perfect (or near perfect) pairing device from Blackberry. Is the 8700c the one?

Palm won't pair through Cingular (and they fall apart easily and don't afford the email capability/function I need), and the previous BB versions either didn't pair or simply paired only after the call was established.

My v551 and Razr work perfectly- if the 8700c is even remotely useful (voice and steering controls) it would be fabulous. If the address book transfers too? wow.

Problem is, BB website only references '06 models.
Offline  
Old 12-19-2005, 12:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

my 8700c paired perfect with new 750Li, no phone book problems either.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 8700c
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Paired my 8700c last night with my '05 530i. Perfect. Address book transfer, voice and steering wheel dial, signal strength indicator, etc. Crystal clear, too- better than my Moto v551.
Offline  
Old 12-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle
Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFun
I tried to connect a Cingular 8770 to a 645 and had major issues. I'm running on BB OS 4.1.
1. Inconsistent connecting - After fumbling through the idrive console for what felt like forever, I finally got it to connect. If I turned the car off it (and removed the key), then started it up again, the bb would not reconnect. After working though a myriad of troubleshooting steps - rebooting the bb, turning on/off bluetooth, disconnecting the bb's bluetooth connection to the car and reconnecting, deleting the 8770 connection on the car and re-adding it, etc. it would work. But each time it would loose connection meant at least 20 minutes of fumbling around to get it reconnected. I still don't know after hours how to reconnect it consistently

2. The idrive would stay on (sometimes) even after the key is out of the ignition whether I was in the middle of a call or not.

3. THE MOST DAUNTING OF ALL: The idrive wheel, which normally you are not able to move more clicks than the number of menu options available now spins 360 degrees in either direction. Basically you can spin it as many times to the right or left as you want and the car is in a mute mode where no voice activated commands work, no radio, and since the idrive scroll wheel is broken, I can't switch any menu items!!!

I love technology. Aren't these things fun?
Should of bought the Acura TL!!! I hate when new technology stops working. The 645 is a beautiful car.
Offline  
Old 01-13-2006, 02:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfla99
Well,

I can now confirm that the 8700C pairs and works flawlessly with my 05 BMW X5 with assist, pairs quickly, trusted works perfect, phonebook transfers, steering wheel allows full control of book and dialing action, the ONLY thing I am unsure of is the signar bars, for some reason I did not see the signal strenth in the dash, but that is nothing compared to how well the device works with the car.

Cheers!
I just bought a used 05 BMW X5 and I have a 7290. It pairs fine, but hangs up the system and phone trying to load a phonebook that won't load.

I have over 1000 contacts in Outlook synced to the Blackberry. How many do you have for your 8700c? If you have the same amount, looks like it is time to upgrade to a 8700c.
Offline  
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
barjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The 7290 does not have the ability at this time to upload the phone book, hence the problem. The 8700c does.
__________________
John

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.