BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 266
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default In a non-EDGE area, can I get a data connection?

Please Login to Remove!

If I go to a non-EDGE area, or a country that doesn't have EDGE, can I get a data connection including my e-mail? This was not an issue with my 7100t on T-Mobile, as all I needed was GPRS which was everywhere including overseas.

(I searched the forum and could not find an answer.)
Offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
map
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
map's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Inside the Beltway
Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 131
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The general consensus awhile back was that the 8700 would drop back to GPRS if there was not EDGE capability on the foreign system. However, none of us actually had an EDGE phone back then to confirm. I would also be interested in hearing real world experience from anyone who has taken one of these to a non-EDGE country since I'm off to one in just a few weeks myself.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 266
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anyone who used a Cingular Treo 650 in a non-EDGE area could shed some light on this.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
netPOSER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 210
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetman
If I go to a non-EDGE area, or a country that doesn't have EDGE, can I get a data connection including my e-mail? This was not an issue with my 7100t on T-Mobile, as all I needed was GPRS which was everywhere including overseas.

(I searched the forum and could not find an answer.)
As long as you have GPRS (all caps) you can get data. It's going to be much slower than EDGE but for most emails you should not see much difference. Browsing, on the other hand, is much slower on GPRS than EDGE.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 8800
Posts: 101
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Really? I had a tower network issue in my area right outside of Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, and my 8700c switched to GPRS instead of EDGE, and I couldn't get any data. If I tried to browse the web, I would get an error saying I wasn't in a data-capable area, and I could not send or receive any emails. Do you think this was also just part of the tower issue?
Offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
netPOSER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 210
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzini
Really? I had a tower network issue in my area right outside of Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, and my 8700c switched to GPRS instead of EDGE, and I couldn't get any data. If I tried to browse the web, I would get an error saying I wasn't in a data-capable area, and I could not send or receive any emails. Do you think this was also just part of the tower issue?
I would assume it was a tower area considering GPRS is used for data.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8888
Carrier: me
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Of course it works in non-EDGE areas, you just don't get the same speed, that's all.
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
map
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
map's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Inside the Beltway
Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 131
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martythemaniak
Of course it works in non-EDGE areas, you just don't get the same speed, that's all.
And you say this, you with all of 2 posts, because....?

a - you have travelled to non-EDGE countries and have received email?
b - you are a RIM employee who is "in the know"
c - you are just guessing because it seems like a logical and rational answer
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right here...where else would I be??
Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular / AT&T
Posts: 104
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default It's just like roaming

A non-edge area (haven't hit one yet in travelling around the country the last month) would still supply data at the GPRS speed. The 8700C searches for the fastest connection.
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
nb_mitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 678
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martythemaniak
Of course it works in non-EDGE areas, you just don't get the same speed, that's all.
Even with all of 2 post, martythemaniak is right. Mine switches back and forth a few times a day in my office. Data still works without any problem, just slower. But, you have to make sure it is in ALL CAPS, regardless of whether the connections says EDGE or GPRS, if it goes to lower case, you are not in a data area.
__________________
Mitch
8310 / New Beetle / 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 / Give Kids the World
Me @ GKTW on my D675
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 266
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Now that's what I call useful information. Thanks.
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.337
Carrier: (`.at&t.)
Posts: 825
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by map
And you say this, you with all of 2 posts, because....?

a - you have travelled to non-EDGE countries and have received email?
b - you are a RIM employee who is "in the know"
c - you are just guessing because it seems like a logical and rational answer
Well with 2 posts he's right. EDGE or GPRS will get you data whether PIN, email or internet. Just the speed is different. You don't have to be a blackberry person with any number of posts to know this.
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
map
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
map's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Inside the Beltway
Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 131
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok folks, you are right, the number of posts is not relevant. However, some people on this board were implying that when in a non-EDGE area their phones were not getting data. That, we would all agree, would be a major problem. However, as nb_Mitch has now confirmed, based on actual experience, the phone DOES default back to GPRS. All we wanted to know was if anyone had real life experience...
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
nb_mitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 678
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have had real life experiences with calling the customer support desk and asking "why ain't it working?" too. And then getting the reply of "Is the "edge" in upper case or lower case?" As I assume many before would assume if you got 2 or 3 bars, you are good and wouldn't have to pay attention to upper and lower case.
__________________
Mitch
8310 / New Beetle / 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 / Give Kids the World
Me @ GKTW on my D675
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have used a treo 650 (Cingular) in Greece, Italy, Spain, France, and Mexico.
Never had a problem receiving emails or phone calls.
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.337
Carrier: (`.at&t.)
Posts: 825
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by map
Ok folks, you are right, the number of posts is not relevant. However, some people on this board were implying that when in a non-EDGE area their phones were not getting data. That, we would all agree, would be a major problem. However, as nb_Mitch has now confirmed, based on actual experience, the phone DOES default back to GPRS. All we wanted to know was if anyone had real life experience...
My point was that you don't need real life experience to know that EDGE or GPRS will give you data and that the 8700 does this. Only when you see edge, gprs, GSM, or SOS will you not get data.
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 251
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well I'm using my 8700c on an AT&T SIM card (Cingular Blue) but I'm in the UK. I use it just for data/email, not as a phone (yet... will do if I can get it unlocked!).

I pick up GPRS fine and can use the web browsers. EDGE is not available in the UK.
Offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
danbedford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 8700c
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can verify that all you need is the connection label to be in ALL CAPS. I've been in areas with caps and lower-case for both connection types, and CAPS gives you data, lower-case does not.
Offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
map
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
map's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Inside the Beltway
Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 131
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldous
Well I'm using my 8700c on an AT&T SIM card (Cingular Blue) but I'm in the UK. I use it just for data/email, not as a phone (yet... will do if I can get it unlocked!).

I pick up GPRS fine and can use the web browsers. EDGE is not available in the UK.
Thanks! That is the answer I was looking for.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.