BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Model: 7100i
Post Thanks: 0
Default SureType not as good as T9 ?

Please Login to Remove!

I've been using QWERTY on BB for more than a year and loved it but moving to the 7000i Suretype has got be baffled, and I've had it more than two weeks now. For a couple years before BB I did email on a Moto i1000 and then a i710 using the Text9 entry and I remeber it was better than what the 7100i gives me with SureType and with less keys. With T9 entry as I started typing a word it would guess at the word and I could hit a ket to have it pick that word. Suretype doesn't do this. It lets me pick a word after it's been spelled out correctly which is OK but it's a step backwards.

What is also annoying is with suretype if I should accidently miss a key stroke the entire word turns to jiberish and you can't figure out which key you missed so you have to backspace and erase the entire word and start that word over... and then Suretype thinks you are now trying to spell a different word so it goes off in another direction looking the different word. I know it's trying to help but it's terribly annoying.

I really love this screen on the 7100i and the WAV sounds are great but I am taking five times as long to type an email as I used so I'm just putting off answering some emails until I get to my laptop I would normally answer immediately. I've got the old 7250 right here and ready to switch back but I just love this bright, beautiful screen on the 7100i!

Phew
Old 01-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Personaly I really like suretype now, took some getting used to as I came from T9. I think its harder coming from a full keyboard though. - I'm actually leaving my laptop at home lately since the blackberry can. be used for most my work. Absolutely love not having to find either a power outlet or wifi, let alone having to carry the thing.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: none
Carrier: Nokia e71 on ATT

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

I agree that for the first few weeks suretype was annoying and seemed less than adequate. However, the more I have used it the more I appreciate it and the more I understand and work around its few "shortcomings". I really do think it takes several weeks to become fully used to it and all. Hopefully with a but more use you'l begin to notice the same things. My 7520 now feels absolutely huge compsed to the 7100i, and I have a feeling it would take me a while to eelearn if I ever went back.... I do have to disagree on the T9 thing though, as I thought that was an utterly horrible solution to typing anything over two or three words....
Old 01-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I could never understand anyone's love for T9, I cant stand it. Im not nimble enough.
Alexandre Dumas
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Model: 7100i

Quote:
Originally Posted by europamo
I could never understand anyone's love for T9, I cant stand it. Im not nimble enough.
Nimble? T9 is not multi-tap: It's just like suretype but twice as smart. Its ability to offer you a whole word before you finished typing it was invaluable.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Model: 7100I

Typing 101 (not for you all above but for new users to Sure Type)

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

This was an olde typing drill of a by gone past but it does give a rather large area of reach on the keyboard.

Type this 10 times in a row without looking at the display, thats the trick. I feel this gives a new user a memory of where the letter keys are. This drill must be done SLOWLY but CONTINUOUSLY.

I have seen people after 20 or 30 times, using this drill method, completely comfortable with the system.

After your confident with the keys then you can deal with correcting spelling, new words and capitals. (See Caps Lock)

Like anything else its a Mind Set... If your not Open to something different and do not give it a chance, you are going to have a tougher time.

T9 goes all the way back to the i1000 (my alltime favorite) and 2 way messaging. It was a good system, and still is. the only thing now days with the new phones is that it is harder to compose a message than is was on the olde i1000+. Using the zero key to go to the next word was great in those days but if you did not catch it - you still had to scroll back and find it... move_to_the_right_of_it and hit the zero key. With Sure Type its a simple roll of the wheel to get there and correct and if it is a new word your tying (Shisabibble) then type it correctly press the enter key and the Custom Word List remembers it. The T9 remembers too but their were a few more moves. Now its slightly different to save new words. I prefer the Sure Type of saving because it is in front of me to see not in the background that I do not see.

One of the difference I see is that the T9 has 60 thousand words and the Sure Type has only 30 thousand.

Again its a mind set and of course... it is your choice.

f7

Last edited by friendship7 : 01-08-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Closed Thread