BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cool little trick.

Please Login to Remove!

I am not sure if others have posted this but with my experimenting and learning the BlackBerry OS I came across a cool little trick on my 8700. I am not sure if other BBs have this but I thought it was neat.

Hold down the ALT key and hit the Escape key and then release the ESCAPE key but not the ALT key. You now have Application Switcher similar to the ones in OS X and Windows. You can use the wheel to highlight what application you want and then release the ALT key and that application will be the one you are in. This only lists open applications.

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere...I just thought it was freakin' cool!
Offline  
Old 02-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.337
Carrier: (`.at&t.)
Posts: 825
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

it is cool and its not unique to the 8700. Its been in all the old handhelds as well. Welcome to the blackberry.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 98004
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 316
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Its on that nice little card that comes with the device- I think I read it while the 8700 was still on the charger for the first time.

I know most people don't read the manuals but the quick reference/shortcut card RIM includes is definitely worth carrying around for a few days to pick up these types of tips.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,822
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

It is cool. It was introduced in v2.1 of the OS for the 950s and 957s. I remember it well.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
It is cool. It was introduced in v2.1 of the OS for the 950s and 957s. I remember it well.
Damn... I had the 950 way back, and I forgot about this one. Thanks for the memories!
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
sabesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Model: Torch
OS: 6.0.0.246
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 84
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It could be done better. I find it difficult to do one-handed. If there was an option to activate the task list using the left convenience key, it would be very cool. Sabesh.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Read the tips

and you can Wow even more. The 8700 is a great unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated
I am not sure if others have posted this but with my experimenting and learning the BlackBerry OS I came across a cool little trick on my 8700. I am not sure if other BBs have this but I thought it was neat.

Hold down the ALT key and hit the Escape key and then release the ESCAPE key but not the ALT key. You now have Application Switcher similar to the ones in OS X and Windows. You can use the wheel to highlight what application you want and then release the ALT key and that application will be the one you are in. This only lists open applications.

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere...I just thought it was freakin' cool!
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 02-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Boy Genius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York City
Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 781
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabesh
It could be done better. I find it difficult to do one-handed. If there was an option to activate the task list using the left convenience key, it would be very cool. Sabesh.
There is, just goto settings, screen keyboard and change side convenience key to tasks.
__________________
Boy Genius

The Boy Genius Report
Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
sabesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Model: Torch
OS: 6.0.0.246
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 84
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
There is, just goto settings, screen keyboard and change side convenience key to tasks.
Nope. There's a difference between the task-list/manager and the "tasks" application. Cheers, Sabesh.
Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBit
Its on that nice little card that comes with the device- I think I read it while the 8700 was still on the charger for the first time.

I know most people don't read the manuals but the quick reference/shortcut card RIM includes is definitely worth carrying around for a few days to pick up these types of tips.
Ah...I did read the manual but I didn't notice the shortcuts in the back. Could have been because I was pretty excited to get to using my Crackberry.
Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 04:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BBAdmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Port 3101.org
Model: .
Carrier: .
Posts: 2,491
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Where's the fun in reading the manual.....the best way is to play!!!!!
__________________

Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
justin.culp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 760
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Another one that I use all the time is the alt-wheel on the home page. This allows you to scroll down columns instead of going down rows. I love that one!
__________________
8800 att/cingluar For Sale w/2G MicroSD
http://www.blackberryforums.com/buy-...-cingular.html

Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Seattle18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seattle
Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1,610
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My personal favorite is when composing an email, I push the letter W on the keyboard, and a w appears on the screen!

(Sorry, couldn't help it...)
Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
BluePolaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 337
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
My personal favorite is when composing an email, I push the letter W on the keyboard, and a w appears on the screen!

(Sorry, couldn't help it...)
Thats funny. I actually compare men reading manuals to things just like asking for directions...what kind of "real" man needs instructions or directions?
__________________
"Never overcompensate for those who are intimidated by you."
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.