BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Les Armitage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rufford. West Lancashire. UK
Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 82
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 8700 in the uk

Please Login to Remove!

Any idea who's supplying an 8700 in the UK please
__________________
Les Armitage [8800/8100/8700/7130/
Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,807
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

T-Mobile has announced it, but I don't know if it is available yet.
Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
jax
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 159
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

T-mobile, O2 and Vodafone

T-mobile have announced it. O2 have it on their web site and Vodafone have it in their system (if you go into a Vodafone shop it shows stock - unclear if you can actually buy one yet!).
Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 03:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BBAdmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Port 3101.org
Model: .
Carrier: .
Posts: 2,492
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We have them on Vodafone and O2
__________________

Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 05:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 7290
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Armitage
Any idea who's supplying an 8700 in the UK please
T-Mobile have literally just launched it but they have no stock.
__________________
=
--------------
PIN: 2022E0D4
Offline  
Old 02-03-2006, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just ordered mine and promised delivery for tomorrow on T-Mobile and Scancom, we will see
Offline  
Old 02-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chester, UK
Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I ordered from T-Mobile yesterday - spoke to an extremely helpful lady there and they now have them in stock and will be delivered on Tuesday morning. They are also availble to consumers too, rather than just business customers which was their original communication.
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Delivered as promised

Mine arrived as promised on Saturday. Bought from Scancom on T-Mobile. Working perfectly and synced with my MAC using PocketMac. Even looks good in the T-Mobile colour and have installed the MacBerry theme which is great.
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7730
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Orange UK launched EDGE network

Cancel those Voda, O2 and T-Mobile orders! Orange has just announced the rollout of their EDGE network in the UK with 300 base stations already online and 1,500 more coming. Orange Business indicates 8700 available by end of Feb 06.

Orange launched the UKs first live EDGE network
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Orange only supports enterprise on the blackberry not POP3 or IMAP, thats why I have just had to change to T-Mobile being a small business with IMAP. Unless of course they are about to change that too, if so I wish they had told me when I got my PAC code last Friday!
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BBAdmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Port 3101.org
Model: .
Carrier: .
Posts: 2,492
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't get your point - you seem to think that Orange has significantly more coverage than any other network in the UK???? You also need to be aware of tariff offerings as, to a business rolling out x number of handsets, running costs will be a primary consideration. Orange don't have the best track record when it comes to implementing and supporting technologies and in my experience their tariff offerings have often been difficult to decipher and, as a network, they are generally slower than other netowrks at introducing new devices in to the market.
__________________

Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7730
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default No Web Client on Orange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by llotse
Orange only supports enterprise on the blackberry not POP3 or IMAP, thats why I have just had to change to T-Mobile being a small business with IMAP. Unless of course they are about to change that too, if so I wish they had told me when I got my PAC code last Friday!
Certainly this is the case via Orange Corporate 50+ employees where they have a minimum purchase of 15 devices etc. But they sent me to the Orange Business Advisor shop where they could apparently. Although I'm still not sure if the sales monkey I spoke to had his facts straight. So I guess you've done a fair bit of digging and not found an Orange UK branded web client?
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7730
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Orange UK BlackBerry Web Client

Actually, just found the url for the Orange UK BlackBerry Web Client so presumably you can use this to setup your IMAP/POP3.

http://www.blackberry.orange.co.uk/
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7730
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
I don't get your point - you seem to think that Orange has significantly more coverage than any other network in the UK???? You also need to be aware of tariff offerings as, to a business rolling out x number of handsets, running costs will be a primary consideration. Orange don't have the best track record when it comes to implementing and supporting technologies and in my experience their tariff offerings have often been difficult to decipher and, as a network, they are generally slower than other netowrks at introducing new devices in to the market.
Not sure who you were replying to there BBAdmin, but if it's too me, my point is that they are offering EDGE, and I live in London their prime market so it's a no brainer for me. With no other carriers even hinting at EDGE, it's the only option if you want to fully utilise the high-speed data capabilities of the 8700 in the UK. Full-marks to Orange, they certainly seem to pushing the technical boundaries here in supporting both UMTS and EDGE even if it is just to plug gaps in their 3G coverage for UMTS devices that offer EDGE fallback. Eitherway, the 8700 benefits from the EDGE coverage while everyone else crawls along on GPRS.
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 251
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Its on the O2 UK web site: http://www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/8700g.asp?page=8700g
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW London UK
Model: 8310
Carrier: o2
Posts: 66
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Orange don't have the best track record when it comes to implementing and supporting technologies
Agreed, and whilst on the subject why are Orange the UK only network not to offer BB to average consumers?
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyjhicks
Certainly this is the case via Orange Corporate 50+ employees where they have a minimum purchase of 15 devices etc. But they sent me to the Orange Business Advisor shop where they could apparently. Although I'm still not sure if the sales monkey I spoke to had his facts straight. So I guess you've done a fair bit of digging and not found an Orange UK branded web client?
After spending a good deal of time on the phone with Orange and pointing out to them that my average 500 a month bill would have to go elsewhere they still could not offer me a Blackberry that supported IMAP or POP. I had no choice but to go elsewhere (T-Mobile). But as you point out who knows which one of the sales team we spoke to was right? I would not like to bet on either!
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7730
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llotse
After spending a good deal of time on the phone with Orange and pointing out to them that my average 500 a month bill would have to go elsewhere they still could not offer me a Blackberry that supported IMAP or POP. I had no choice but to go elsewhere (T-Mobile). But as you point out who knows which one of the sales team we spoke to was right? I would not like to bet on either!
Wow, that's an appallingly bad experience. 500 per month bills are a total rip-off. BBAdmin has a good point on watching the tariffs then. Ouch. Definitely going to wait for a few more weeks until they get their pricing and plans out. We'll see, given your experience you've definitely tempered my enthusiasm for switching from O2 where I currently enjoy flat rate and both BES and web client access. Dare I say it.. give it a few more weeks and we'll be able to have a good look at the 3G capable Nokia E61 ;)
Offline  
Old 02-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyjhicks
Wow, that's an appallingly bad experience. 500 per month bills are a total rip-off. BBAdmin has a good point on watching the tariffs then. Ouch. Definitely going to wait for a few more weeks until they get their pricing and plans out. We'll see, given your experience you've definitely tempered my enthusiasm for switching from O2 where I currently enjoy flat rate and both BES and web client access. Dare I say it.. give it a few more weeks and we'll be able to have a good look at the 3G capable Nokia E61 ;)
The high bills were legit and due to me travelling and using my phone constantly abroad, all part of the business expense I am afraid. I don't think Orange are any more expensive than anyone else, its just that I wanted Blackberry and they could not provide it to me. I am hoping the Blackberry will bring my data bills down considerably but we shall see.
Offline  
Old 02-07-2006, 04:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Don't you just love customer service? I have been told this morning that T-Mobile do not allow incoming text messages from a network in Thailand called AIS. As most of my Thai customers are on this network that is very bad! Blackberry is going back and I will have to wait for vodafone.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.