I this might sound pretty stupid, but check and make sure the wireless connection is turned on. This afternoon I was not getting any “pushed-e-mails” which I thought was pretty weird, because I usually get 30 to 40 e-mails a day. I went home for lunch and jumped on-line to the website, and noticed 22 messages sitting in my inbox on the server that were not pushed to my Blackberry.
I called customer support, and they asked me to try to send an e-mail off my Blackberry. Once I did that, the e-mail went through and it pushed all the e-mails waiting in the server to my Blackberry.
Maybe I’m the stupid on, but apparently I lost the wireless connection (Pertaining to Data). The cellular phone worked fine the entire time, so I guess I’m still learning.