BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rogers 4.1 vs. Bharti OS - Differences??

Please Login to Remove!

Just wanted to know if there are any major differences, before installing the upgrade, between the latest OS from Rogers (Canada) and the Bharti OS.

:: For example, do both of them contain the "Zen" theme or is that only found in the Bharti OS?
:: Do both of them contain the upgrade to louder ringtones and better phone reception?
:: Does the Bharti theme work with the Rogers network or am I better to install the Rogers supplied OS?

Thanks for your feedback.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
cooperpwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,001
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There was some discussion here:

Rogers Updates 4.1 Handheld OS to 4.1.0.280

I am not sure that we ever got a definitive answer as to whether the Rogers upgrade has the Zen theme. It is apparently in the Blackberry.alx file so it should install. However, no one has posted here that has actually installed it and confirmed that it is there (that I know of anyway).

I may be helping a friend with a new 8700r to upgrade tomorrow. If so, I will post the answer in this thread.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jibi's Secret Place
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.174
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11,310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Install the Rogers OS if you are on the Rogers network. Bharti and Rogers have the same version OS available, except Rogers will likely have changes to the radio stack specific to their network that won't be found in the Bharti OS. You should be able to use my BlackBerry.alx file (for the Orange UK OS) in the sticky thread (in the Themes, Ringtones, etc forum) to enable the various themes.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
cooperpwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,001
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Install the Rogers OS if you are on the Rogers network. Bharti and Rogers have the same version OS available, except Rogers will likely have changes to the radio stack specific to their network that won't be found in the Bharti OS. You should be able to use my BlackBerry.alx file (for the Orange UK OS) in the sticky thread (in the Themes, Ringtones, etc forum) to enable the various themes.
Interesting. I am running the Bharti on the Rogers network. Can you please explain "changes to the radio stack specific to the Rogers network". I don't know what this means.

Much thanks!
Offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jibi's Secret Place
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.174
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11,310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If Rogers has a certain known (or majorly reported) issue that is specific to their network (e.g. - there is a dropped calls issue in Montreal on Pierre Rue), then the carrier can help in fixing this issue. This obviously is specific in nature and would not be found in another carrier's code. The base OS, all files found in \Java in the installation package, are the same from carrier to carrier for same OS versions (this is the portion that RIM is the sole developer).
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8700
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have successfully installed the Zen theme from the rogers files and it works no problem. I had to remove the vendorID from the blackberry.alx file before loading it.
Good luck.
PS It seems to add a second internet browser icon. I have a "Browser" a "WAP Browser", and an "Internet Browser".
Offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
ShaneToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 589
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propofolboy
I have successfully installed the Zen theme from the rogers files and it works no problem. I had to remove the vendorID from the blackberry.alx file before loading it.
Good luck.
PS It seems to add a second internet browser icon. I have a "Browser" a "WAP Browser", and an "Internet Browser".
Can you explain how to load the zen theme from the rogers files? thanks.
__________________
Blackberry Curve (8300r) on Rogers (Toronto, ON) with hosted BES. Previously: 8700r and 7290.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
DuckWingDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 810
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
Can you explain how to load the zen theme from the rogers files? thanks.
Search or actually reading is your friend: http://blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=28821
Offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
ShaneToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 589
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck
Search or actually reading is your friend: http://blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=28821
Follow your own advice.

Note "from the rogers file" was specified in my earlier post for good reason.
__________________
Blackberry Curve (8300r) on Rogers (Toronto, ON) with hosted BES. Previously: 8700r and 7290.
Offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Model: 9700R
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 180
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i used bharti and now rogers, very similar. both have zen, yadda yadda yadda... rogers seems to be running nicely, as was bharti!

...ooops im using a .304, orange i think. its good too! Had rogers on for a few weeks
Offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
mymitsu3kgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Warwick, RI
Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 1,213
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Nice shot ShaneToronto
__________________
T-Mobile Bold 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
cooperpwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,001
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
If Rogers has a certain known (or majorly reported) issue that is specific to their network (e.g. - there is a dropped calls issue in Montreal on Pierre Rue), then the carrier can help in fixing this issue. This obviously is specific in nature and would not be found in another carrier's code. The base OS, all files found in \Java in the installation package, are the same from carrier to carrier for same OS versions (this is the portion that RIM is the sole developer).
Thanks for the explanation. When Rogers starts formally supporting the new OS - and when I have some time to kill - I may switch over. (Not even sure if I should since Bharti has been absolutely problem free.)
Offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any ideas when Cingular will be putting out 4.1 or have they already i'm and just dense?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.