I followed the instructions to tether my device (see below), and I get an error connecting due to no hardware found.
The 8700c is connected and I can sync up without issues.
Setup of BlackBerry 8700c to Laptop Windows XP using BlackBerry Universal USB Cable for GPRS
RIM BlackBerry 8700c handset purchased from Cingular.
PC with an available USB port.
BlackBerry Desktop Software installed from accompanying CD. If the CD is not available, download the most recent version of BlackBerry Desktop Software from .
User should be logged in as Administrator or have administrator privileges in the profile to modify system files.
Setting up the modem
1. On the PC, connect the USB cable from the USB port to the side of the handset. Windows will detect the handset and install the drivers.
2. Double click on the Desktop Manager icon.
3. Click on Options and then Connection Settings.
4. Click on Detect.
5. When the Warning dialog box appears, click on OK.
6. The dialog box should display: USB handheld found, then click on OK.
7. Ensure that the Connection field displays USB-PIN: and click on OK.
8. Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel and then double click on the Phone and Modem Options icon.
9. Click on the Modems tab.
10. Click once on the Standard Modem and click on Properties.
11. Click on the Advanced tab.
12. Type at+cgdcont=1,”IP”,”isp.cingular” in the Extra initialization commands field.
13. Click on OK to complete the setup.
Setting up the connection
1. On the PC, click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, and then double click on Network Connections.
2. Click on the link to Create a new connection.
3. This will open a New Connection Wizard. Click on Next to begin the setup.
4. Click to select Connect to the Internet.
5. Click on Next.
6. Click to select Set up my connection manually.
7. Click on Next.
8. Click to select Connect using a dial-up modem.
9. Click on Next.
10. Check the box to select the Standard Modem.
11. Ensure it is the only modem checked, and click on Next.
12. Type CNG GPRS for the ISP Name and click on Next.
13. Type *99# for the Phone number.
14. Click on Next.
15. If prompted, click to select whether to make this connection available for Anyone’s use, or My use only.
16. Click on Next.
in the User name field.
18. Type CINGULAR1 in the Password, and Confirm password fields.
19. Tick to select from the available options below and click on Next.
20. Click on Finish to complete the setup.
Making the connection
1. On the PC, return to the Network Connections folder and double click on the CNG GPRS icon.
2. Ensure the Dial field reads *99#.
3. Click on Dial.
You will now be connected to the Cingular GPRS service.