BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/)
-   -   Charging Blackberry via USB cabled connected to Apple iPOD USB Power Adapter? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/35352-charging-blackberry-via-usb-cabled-connected-apple-ipod-usb-power-adapter.html)

nyc2socal 05-16-2006 01:17 PM

Charging Blackberry via USB cabled connected to Apple iPOD USB Power Adapter?
 
OK, sorry for the inundation of usb power/charging related question.

In the name of reducing "travel" weight, I was wondering if anyone has tried charging their blackberry via the iPod USB Power Adapter? What I'm hoping for is to carry this Power Adapter, and the 2 USB cables (iPod & Blackberry) versus the Power Adapter, 2 USB cables, and the Blackberry travel charger.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this previously, before I take the plunge (I will take the plunge, just want to hear if anyone has practical experience with this)

FYI,
iPod USB Adapter spec is:
Input: 100-240V 0.15A 50/60 Hz
Output: 5V - 1.0A

Blackberry Travel Charger spec is:
Input: 100-240V 0.15A 50/60 Hz
Output: 5V - 0.5A

The only difference is the amp rating.. Not being an electrical engineering guru or even a novice, any ideas just from this information?

Thanks!

d_fisher 05-16-2006 03:44 PM

You should be fine. I use my Bluetooth headset charger on my BlackBerry too.

balibe 05-16-2006 04:48 PM

I have the Griffin Power Jolt which has a car socket to USB. It charges my 7100i just fine. I even use a Phillips USB to Mini-USB retractable cord.

nyc2socal 05-17-2006 06:40 PM

Well, I plugged it in last night, the lightning bolt came on.. This morning, the battery was fully charged! :-D

Whether it has damaged the battery in any way, I have no idea..

baconismidog 05-17-2006 06:56 PM

The higher the voltage, the higher the amount of electrical energy that can be transferred through a circuit. Amps rate how fast the circuit will handle said voltage. So, you are not putting too much power into the battery but you are potentially putting it in too fast. This may affect your battery life in the long run.

nyc2socal 05-17-2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconismidog
The higher the voltage, the higher the amount of electrical energy that can be transferred through a circuit. Amps rate how fast the circuit will handle said voltage. So, you are not putting too much power into the battery but you are potentially putting it in too fast. This may affect your battery life in the long run.

Thanks for the EE info... I guess I need to think about the pros and cons of this... ;-)

ezacarias 05-25-2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc2socal
Thanks for the EE info... I guess I need to think about the pros and cons of this... ;-)

You should be fine. If you have a higher amp rating charger and your BB has a lower amp rating, then the BB will only get the AMP rating it needs. It's like our household appliances we can plug in a 3 AMP oven toaster to our 15 Amp outlet.

The problem is when you BB needs a higer AMP rating than the charger can give. Like plugging a 30 Amp Welding machine to your 15 Amp Household plug, this will blow a fuse.

mymitsu3kgt 05-25-2006 01:21 PM

It's not the voltage that'll kill you, it's the amperage. I'll take a 120V hit anyday before a 1/2 amp hit.

flat7 05-26-2006 11:51 AM

FYI, I've been using the BB travel charger on my iPod with no problems.

mymitsu3kgt 05-26-2006 11:55 AM

But, the BB travel charger has less amperage and is safer for the ipod. The ipod charger has more amperage and could be more dangerous for the BB.

ezacarias 05-26-2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymitsu3kgt
But, the BB travel charger has less amperage and is safer for the ipod. The ipod charger has more amperage and could be more dangerous for the BB.

You got it the other way around, if the BB needs more Amps than your charger can provide then there is a problem.

As an example
The IPOD charger has 5V 1.0A
The BB charger has 5V 0.5 A

Your BB requires 0.5A
Your IPOD requires 1A

You can charge your BB or your IPOD in your IPOD charger because your IPOD charger can feed the needed AMP rating of your IPOD and BB. When you are charging your BB on your 1A charger it doesn't mean your BB is getting the whole 1A, it's only getting .5A because it needs only .5A

Now you cannot do the reverse and charge your IPOD on your BB charger becase your IPOD requires 1A and your BB charger can only give 0.5A, this will cause an electric vaccuum.

mymitsu3kgt 05-27-2006 07:40 AM

The BB doesn't "need" any specific amperage. It'll charge at .01 Amps but it'll take a year to charge. The BB will have a maximum amount of Amps it can handle before the internal circuitry blows.

caps5858 05-27-2006 03:17 PM

ok quick note a half amp is enough to kill you therefore its enough to murder your electronics and battery. But electronic dont die because of the amps they die because of the heat. That is your worst enemy. If the battery gets hot when you charge with the ipod charger then you know your bb internal regulator cant control that much amperage. So if it gets hot stop using it and that can pretty much carry over into most electronics.

dulcamara 05-27-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezacarias
Y
You can charge your BB or your IPOD in your IPOD charger because your IPOD charger can feed the needed AMP rating of your IPOD and BB. When you are charging your BB on your 1A charger it doesn't mean your BB is getting the whole 1A, it's only getting .5A because it needs only .5A

Now you cannot do the reverse and charge your IPOD on your BB charger becase your IPOD requires 1A and your BB charger can only give 0.5A, this will cause an electric vaccuum.

I charge my iPod Nano on my BB charger all the time, and it's happy. Charges fast too.

Vulcan 05-29-2006 03:42 PM

I use my digital camera usb cord to charge my 7100i lol... Takes probably 5 minutes to fully charge my BB.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.