02-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | TMO 7230 Screen Dies - Opinions on options
Please Login to Remove!
Hello All -
First post here. What a cool forum and to think I have had my 7230 for over a year and just found it two weeks ago. I have been doing lots of reading, but I thought I would throw this topic open for some opinions and feedback.
So here is my challenge. Yesterday my 1 year old 7230 had the screen melt down (at least it looks that way). I went into the TMO store yesterday and of course the best they coudl offer is to sell me a new 7230 for $299 provided that I agreed to extend my plan for a year from yesterday. Since I need my 'Crackberry' more than anything I own these days - I agreed and now I am having 2nd thoughts and have 14 days to reverse my purchase. The options I see are ...
1. Spend the $299 and keep the 7230 and add the $3.99 a month insurance going forward.
2. Change to the 7100t, which gives me a better phone and is the same price. This becomes more of a consideration since in a few months my company will be cutting off my mobile phone I carry and expect me to 'expense' my cell phone. Having the 7100t would allow me to carry one phone. But I am a heavy e-mail user and I have read all the issues with the 7100t keyboard.
3. Pay $429 and get a 7290 from Cingular. This lets me get an unlocked Bluetooth phone for $129 more (the cost of a Jabbra with a dongle) and lets me not have to extend my TMO plan. Just not sure if $129 is worth Bluetooth. Also, I am not sure I can get the insurance option on the 7290.
4. Contact RIM and see what it would cost to replace the screen since I am sure it is our of Warrenty.
5. Look on eBay and get another 7230 used or try and get a 7290 that is unlocked and ready to go.
I know in the end this comes down to preference and all, but I would love to get some feedback on what you would do if you were in my shoes.