BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default T-Mobile BIS 2.0 vs. Cingular BIS 2.0

Please Login to Remove!

Please forgive this very basic and naive question (and, yes, I've tried to search to find the answer but it's remarkable how different people give different responses), but I was wondering the following:

I know that with the T-Mobile branded 8700g, on the main screen you can have different In Boxes for your various BIS email accounts, whereby you can send and receive from each of those respective accounts. With my Cingular 8700c, I only have one In Box that gathers mail from all of my various accounts and, apparently, only lets me reply from one account only -- that which I've set as the "Send From" account on my Cingular/Blackberry webpage. Therefore, in this regard the T-Mobile service appears superior. However, my understanding is that, with Cingular's upcoming BIS 2.0 update on June 12, the Cingular Blackberry experience on the 8700c will be identical to T-Mobile's, correct? In otherwords, I can do with the 8700c exactly what T-Mobile offers with the 8700g and its multiple In Boxes and Send From addresses, correct? Also, with T-Mobile, the 8700g gives you the option that when you delete an email from a POP or IMAP account (or even a free Yahoo account) on the Blackberry that you can also have it deleted from the desktop as well (similar to an Exchange/BES setup). Will the new Cingular update also provide this feature?

I disliked how, with Cingular, I couldn't always get replies from my Blackberry to come from the same account. I have work and personal email addresses, and sometimes my clients would get a reply from my personal address and vice versa. I understand that T-Mobile customers don't have this issue.

Thanks!
Offline  
Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7290
Posts: 682
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

BIS 2.0 is the same accross the board - it doesn't change w/ carriers. so everything you've seen T-Mobile BIS 2.0 accounts do will be the same that Cingular BIS 2.0 accounts can do
Offline  
Old 06-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 8000
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 72
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I wanna know if the BIS has a spam blocker?
Offline  
Old 06-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rcbjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Texas
Model: 8700
Posts: 1,366
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophist
Please forgive this very basic and naive question (and, yes, I've tried to search to find the answer but it's remarkable how different people give different responses), but I was wondering the following:

I know that with the T-Mobile branded 8700g, on the main screen you can have different In Boxes for your various BIS email accounts, whereby you can send and receive from each of those respective accounts. With my Cingular 8700c, I only have one In Box that gathers mail from all of my various accounts and, apparently, only lets me reply from one account only -- that which I've set as the "Send From" account on my Cingular/Blackberry webpage. Therefore, in this regard the T-Mobile service appears superior. However, my understanding is that, with Cingular's upcoming BIS 2.0 update on June 12, the Cingular Blackberry experience on the 8700c will be identical to T-Mobile's, correct? In otherwords, I can do with the 8700c exactly what T-Mobile offers with the 8700g and its multiple In Boxes and Send From addresses, correct? Also, with T-Mobile, the 8700g gives you the option that when you delete an email from a POP or IMAP account (or even a free Yahoo account) on the Blackberry that you can also have it deleted from the desktop as well (similar to an Exchange/BES setup). Will the new Cingular update also provide this feature?

I disliked how, with Cingular, I couldn't always get replies from my Blackberry to come from the same account. I have work and personal email addresses, and sometimes my clients would get a reply from my personal address and vice versa. I understand that T-Mobile customers don't have this issue.

Thanks!
----

BERDucky is correct, however you have at least one misconception about BIS 2.0. Please see this post Understanding BIS 2.0 for the differences between 1.8 and 2.0

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Offline  
Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you BERducky and rcbjr for your replies.

However, what "misconception" do I have? Is it that Yahoo mail is not two-way reconicileable from the handheld? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're referring to after having read the discussion you linked to. Please elaborate.

Finally, just so I understand this correctly, the features I referred to in my original post that appeared to be unique to T-Mobile have nothing to do with the carrier but with the BIS version -- yes? Perhaps I'm confused as to what is carrier-specific and what is BIS version-specific. When all is said and done and Cingular upgrades to BIS 2.0, will the 8700c experience be identical in every way to the TMo 8700g experience (save carrier-specific themes, of course)?

Thanks again, your feedback has been very helpful.
Offline  
Old 06-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rcbjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Texas
Model: 8700
Posts: 1,366
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophist
Thank you BERducky and rcbjr for your replies.

However, what "misconception" do I have? Is it that Yahoo mail is not two-way reconicileable from the handheld? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're referring to after having read the discussion you linked to. Please elaborate.

Finally, just so I understand this correctly, the features I referred to in my original post that appeared to be unique to T-Mobile have nothing to do with the carrier but with the BIS version -- yes? Perhaps I'm confused as to what is carrier-specific and what is BIS version-specific. When all is said and done and Cingular upgrades to BIS 2.0, will the 8700c experience be identical in every way to the TMo 8700g experience (save carrier-specific themes, of course)?

Thanks again, your feedback has been very helpful.
----
Well, For one thing, in you original post you stated that you thought "the 8700g gives you the option that when you delete an email from a POP or IMAP account (or even a free Yahoo account) on the Blackberry that you can also have it deleted from the desktop as well (similar to an Exchange/BES setup)". As to this statement, first POP does not reconcile at all, all you get is the email delivered and spoofing the return address. You can set it up to remove from server, but that won't delete it from the from the desktop if you have already pulled that message to the desktop. I am not sure about IMAP and your desktop is I don't use IMAP with my desktop. It may or may not reconcile with your desktop, how ever it will, with your IMAP Server. The same with Yahoo, unless you move messages from Yahoo to your desktop.

If you choose BIS 2.0 on Cingular, the experience should be identical to TMOs, unless RIM has done something special for Cingular. But then it wouldn't be BIS 2.0, but at least 2.0.x


Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Last edited by rcbjr : 06-09-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Offline  
Old 06-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
----
Well, For one thing, in you original post you stated that you thought "the 8700g gives you the option that when you delete an email from a POP or IMAP account (or even a free Yahoo account) on the Blackberry that you can also have it deleted from the desktop as well (similar to an Exchange/BES setup)". As to this statement, first POP does not reconcile at all, all you get is the email delivered and spoofing the return address. You can set it up to remove from server, but that won't delete it from the from the desktop if you have already pulled that message to the desktop. I am not sure about IMAP and your desktop is I don't use IMAP with my desktop. It may or may not reconcile with your desktop, how ever it will, with your IMAP Server. The same with Yahoo, unless you move messages from Yahoo to your desktop.

If you choose BIS 2.0 on Cingular, the experience should be identical to TMOs, unless RIM has done something special for Cingular. But then it wouldn't be BIS 2.0, but at least 2.0.x


Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Understood and explained perfectly! Thank you.
Offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Rumor is that Cingular is not supporting the Yahoo integration. We will see.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Rumor is that Cingular is not supporting the Yahoo integration. We will see.

I discovered yesterday that they are NOT. It seems to only be a T-Mobile feature for the moment.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.