BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
graystrickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT (formerly Cingular)
Posts: 101
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 8700c As Modem vs. Cingular Laptop Wireless Card

Please Login to Remove!

I'm paying Cingular $79/month for unlimited data access on a laptop card. Sadly, I only use the card occaisionally. The problem is that, when I need it, I may use it for hours, then not use it for weeks. I also have an unlimited Blackberry data plan $49/month on my 8700.

Q. -- Can I get rid of the laptop account and just use my Blackberry as a data modem with data throughput and reliability as good as I get with the laptop card?
Offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
jdjleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PacBell
Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 286
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

well first u need to rework your data plan, brother!

Unlimited data should only be costing you 59.99 a month. Thats what its going for in PacBell market anyway. Call care and find out. Simple as switching features to take advantage of better pricing. we do this for customers all the time.

Better yet go to a Corporate Store and talk to a sales rep. They will be ECSTATIC to delete your old feature and make the commission off of switching you to a better one! Always go to the sales team when you can, they have a very good incentive to help you: $$$$

Second: No tethering your BB is not going to yield as good results as a data card. specially if its one of the new 3G Sierras and your service is in a UMTS/3G area. Your data speeds will be phenomenal!
__________________
-jdjleo-
Decepticon Leader
8700c Telstra Zen
The New at&t
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
graystrickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT (formerly Cingular)
Posts: 101
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjleo
...tethering your BB is not going to yield as good results as a data card. specially if its one of the new 3G Sierras and your service is in a UMTS/3G area. Your data speeds will be phenomenal!
Is there a list somewhere of the 15 or so markets that have UMTS/3G service now?

People in the tv/radio business rank "media markets" by size. I'd bet that there is great coincidence between the markets getting UMTS/3G service and "media market" size. Just guess. Since I live in what is about the 50th media market, I doubt that we have UMTS/3G service now or will anytime soon.

The card that I have I bought about a year ago (from Cingular). It's definitely not a Sierra 3G card. Whatever it is, it's not for sale on Cingular's website anymore.

Given that I'm probably not in a UMTS/3G served market, would it be worthwhile to replace my laptop card?
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
graystrickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT (formerly Cingular)
Posts: 101
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjleo
well first u need to rework your data plan, brother!

Unlimited data should only be costing you 59.99 a month. Thats what its going for in PacBell market anyway.
FYI... Cingular's "laptop connect" plans are:

5MB $19.99 + $0.0080/KB
10MB $29.99 + $0.0060/KB
20MB $39.99 + $0.0040/KB
50MB $49.99 + $0.0020/KB
Unlimited $79.99
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 970
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm in a similar situation, with erratic data usage every month from none to a week or more. I had the Verizon EVDO card but didn't renew my contract wasn't worth $80/mo for my usage. Verizon has a deal where you can pay $15/day rather than the monthly fee but they won't do it for the data cards, only laptops with built-in EVDO modems. I was just trying a Cingular Option GT Max card but I'm sending it back because of poor customer service. That's another story.

If you aren't in a 3G area, you can get a tethering plan for the BB that will let you use it as a modem for an additional $30/mo.

If you get the EVDO capable BB from Verizon, they charge only $15/mo for tethering and you'll get EVDO (400k-700k) speed. I think that's a really good deal considering the network coverage of EVDO (160? cities or more). If that doesn't work, I'd check the Verizon site and see if you're in an EVDO coverage area and get that if you can, it is the same price ($60/mo) as Cingular but the speed is 400k-700k with EDGE being about 80k-120k. Cingular hasn't released a rollout schedule that I've seen but you can try www.howardforums.com there are some threads about the new 3g rollout.

Regards-Michael G.
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
graystrickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT (formerly Cingular)
Posts: 101
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
...you can get a tethering plan for the BB that will let you use it as a modem for an additional $30/mo.
I've read that elsewhere, but can't find where it is offered on the Cingular website. Since you must input your zip code to get a price on anything off that site, I wonder if tethering is not available everywhere.
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bigdaadio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Too far from reality
Model: Tour
PIN: chin pennies
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 159
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjleo
well first u need to rework your data plan, brother!

Unlimited data should only be costing you 59.99 a month. Thats what its going for in PacBell market anyway. Call care and find out. Simple as switching features to take advantage of better pricing. we do this for customers all the time.

Better yet go to a Corporate Store and talk to a sales rep. They will be ECSTATIC to delete your old feature and make the commission off of switching you to a better one! Always go to the sales team when you can, they have a very good incentive to help you: $$$$

Second: No tethering your BB is not going to yield as good results as a data card. specially if its one of the new 3G Sierras and your service is in a UMTS/3G area. Your data speeds will be phenomenal!

I have a friend who just got through a trial period using a sierra card on 3g (houston) on Cingular, ended up getting an EVDO from verizon. wasnt happy at all with the speeds.
The BB should get abt the same speeds as the modem card, on edge.
YMMV
__________________
Bigdaadio-k2WW
50% of the time, it works EVERYTIME...
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
I'm in a similar situation, with erratic data usage every month from none to a week or more. I had the Verizon EVDO card but didn't renew my contract wasn't worth $80/mo for my usage. Verizon has a deal where you can pay $15/day rather than the monthly fee but they won't do it for the data cards, only laptops with built-in EVDO modems. I was just trying a Cingular Option GT Max card but I'm sending it back because of poor customer service. That's another story.

If you aren't in a 3G area, you can get a tethering plan for the BB that will let you use it as a modem for an additional $30/mo.

If you get the EVDO capable BB from Verizon, they charge only $15/mo for tethering and you'll get EVDO (400k-700k) speed. I think that's a really good deal considering the network coverage of EVDO (160? cities or more). If that doesn't work, I'd check the Verizon site and see if you're in an EVDO coverage area and get that if you can, it is the same price ($60/mo) as Cingular but the speed is 400k-700k with EDGE being about 80k-120k. Cingular hasn't released a rollout schedule that I've seen but you can try www.howardforums.com there are some threads about the new 3g rollout.

Regards-Michael G.
Actually - if you are on verizon, depending on the phone model, you can "hack" your way to free tethering. I mean, I pay freakin' 45 bucks for data on a phone (xv6700) an occasional tether here or there won't hurt. But then again, if you are on it like crazy and download like a madman on your phone, I would just pay the extra 15 bucks.
Offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bigdaadio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Too far from reality
Model: Tour
PIN: chin pennies
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 159
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystrickland
I'm paying Cingular $79/month for unlimited data access on a laptop card. Sadly, I only use the card occaisionally. The problem is that, when I need it, I may use it for hours, then not use it for weeks. I also have an unlimited Blackberry data plan $49/month on my 8700.
Snip>>> [/b]
Without opening a large can of worms...If you have TMO in your are and the coverage is decent, you may condider giving their 29.99 all the edge data u can digest. Economically the best, but depends on how service is in your area. In Miami its sweet.
Your milage may vary
__________________
Bigdaadio-k2WW
50% of the time, it works EVERYTIME...
Offline  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: n.a
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

how do you like T-Mo's edge service? is it really good?
Offline  
Old 06-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
ld-runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canton, Mi
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 218
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

graystrickland, i also have an 8700c and i got rid of my cingular laptop card shortly after i bought the 8700c. Here is what i found out / experienced;

first off, the speeds where exactly the same. I had a sony wireless card.
second, you can't just plug in the BB and browse the net via your laptop at EDGE speeds. What you have to do is call Cingular and HOPE that you get someone that understand the term tether. YOu need the unlimited BB plan + the tether. the ability to tether the BB to the laptop cost $30. SO, if you BB unlimited is 49, your total bill would be 79 for the ability to get rid of your laptop connect plan.
the only real trouble i had was getting a cingular rep on the phone that would help me. the first person i called said it was impossilble. the second one i called said it was not available. the third one said i was wrong and i said i wanted to talk to her manager. finally, someone actually called me from cingular and apologized and set up my account properly.
Offline  
Old 07-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8700c
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had similar experie nce with then
Offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 06:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 203
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystrickland
I'm paying Cingular $79/month for unlimited data access on a laptop card. Sadly, I only use the card occaisionally. The problem is that, when I need it, I may use it for hours, then not use it for weeks. I also have an unlimited Blackberry data plan $49/month on my 8700.
I realize your question is about the quality and reliability of connecting via Blackberry modem, so I apologize in advance if I'm hijacking this. In the past I have found myself keeping services turned on in case I ever need them. I have considered one a Cingular laptop account because I occasionally need to connect.

After junk fees you are paying somewhere around $1,000 per year for the modem card. How many KB will that buy at the pay-per-use rate? Not sure what the rate actually is, but it if it 1 cent per KB you could get 100MB of data for the price that you are paying for the laptop connect plan. ...and, if you're truly an occasional user you may not need that much.

...just a thought.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.